T6 California roof corrosion

Snowy55

I have just rejected a May 2016 T6 Beach due to bubbling corrosion under the seal on the raising section of the roof.
I sent dealer some photos and with 48 it's been collected with a full refund, no quibbles or questions.
They hadn't got a leg to stand on!

20170108_154601_zpsznky53hr.jpg

20170108_154817_zpsfis23xf1.jpg

I might pull mine off and put some silicone grease in to keep the moisture off the paintwork as a preventative measure.
Was that the first time you had removed it or had you looked before?

Also, what caused the lines?

I might pull mine off and put some silicone grease in to keep the moisture off the paintwork as a preventative measure.

Looks like soft paint

Putting grease in the seal may invalidate any future warranty claims so be careful what you do.
It was the first time I had pulled the seal off, I only took delivery on the 9th December, 4 weeks ago!!
The dealer came and collected it today and all the money has been transferred back into the bank.
The deposit for my now cancelled Beach is also being returned to my card.

The lines are where the internal fingers of the seal grip the roof.
So it looks like the paint was still soft when the seal was added and reduced it to a substandard thickness.

This is what I posted on the other site....

My best guess as to the cause is the rubber seal is applied too early before the paint has fully hardened and dried out, I believe it takes several weeks before paintwork is fully hardened.

The combined effect of the soft paint being damaged by the seal and also the moisture in the paint not able to evaporate under the seal causes the corrosion.

If you look in snowys pics you'll see faint parallel lines where the paint has been marked and slightly damaged by the seal being applied too early. If you look at where the bubbles are they are neatly between these lines. i.e. there aren't any bubbles that aren't touching these lines of paint damage.

....well that's my theory anyway

@Thehorse that sounds a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation that is probably right but will be a short version of the 'official' findings.
Not sure joe public would ever get to see the official findings! It could be the solution is to bake the roof for an extended time period before applying the seal, but whether or not the bean counters would agree to the extra cost remains to be seen, especially when people are queuing up to buy them.

Paint will be fully cured on the production line. All cars/ vans now get cured through an infrared oven so the paint cures quickly and the gassing out period is heavily reduced.
It's how I cure my fresh paint and can be waxed the waxed day.

It's clearly a design fault and those rubbers hold moisture from the weather and I bet they nice a few mm as the roof raised and moves. Maybe it's rubbing grit in.

Paint will be fully cured on the production line. All cars/ vans now get cured through an infrared oven so the paint cures quickly and the gassing out period is heavily reduced.
It's how I cure my fresh paint and can be waxed the waxed day.

It's clearly a design fault and those rubbers hold moisture from the weather and I bet they nice a few mm as the roof raised and moves. Maybe it's rubbing grit in.
Surely if the paint was fully hardened a rubber seal would cause lines in the paint?

More reason way I think it moves. Also some rubbers can get tight and loose with weather constantly tightening. This can mark the paint. Even some vinyls applied to paint can crease the paint.

The roof is not part of the main vehicle production and added afterwards so may not get a normal curing?

Back