180PS burning through oil

EGR on the 204 usually shows up as coolant loss, are you having to top up the water at all?

No smoke, no leaks, clean exhaust... are you sure they've filled it correctly?

My mate's 180 guzzles oil, VW say it's within tolerances, I think they said 1ltr per 1000 miles.

Go for a second opinion, watch them drain and refill it for peace of mind.

Thing is I saw them refill it to the top the first time it went low, and now only 1/3 on the dip stick left. Small family garage and would be very surprised if they didn't fill it correctly to start with, but it's gone again anyway. Before that I was topping up about a litre in total between services.

Just found this; VW (again) Biturbo diesel engine issues | Lotus Seven Club.

I really hope not..

That article is from 2017, so maybe the 180 which is well documented as having issues.

The oil has to be going somewhere, the question is where?

If I find out I'll let you know, think it needs a visit to VW. It's the first van I've let go over 3 years old and warranty-less. Got a bad feeling about this.

You could try pulling the bottom hose of the intercooler and see what drains out.
I’ve got a 2016 Euro 5 180, never had to add any oil between oil changes. It’s not the greatest dipstick for getting a very accurate level but I would say I have negligible consumption.

Just checked, have the 'cube' in the van, Quantum Longlife 111 5w30. That sound right? I asked them to use all original VW spec.

Spoke to VW today, booked in for the end of the month (if I can get a hire van, they aren't letting them out at the minute, and I can't get a lift back officially...) Funny enough they apparently had another van in today with the same sudden oil usage on 110k, not sure what engine though, and as yet they haven't worked out why that one's doing it.

Just checked, have the 'cube' in the van, Quantum Longlife 111 5w30. That sound right? I asked them to use all original VW spec.
Had it been using 0W30 I would have recommended a change to 5W30 to reduce evaporative loss. I've no idea how Quantum compares to the big brands for evaporative loss but it shouldn't be far off.

Thought that when you asked, the garage got Quantum from TPS, apparently genuine VW spec. I have been servicing it when asked at 20k ish at th dealer, thought that was long intervals but I'm used to old cars so thought that's just what it is now. As you say Tourershine, a little concerned, need this van to last a while longer yet..

If you leave the oil at 2/3 on the dip stick does it still drop as some engines can just burn off at the highest level .My euro 5 140 will drop if I fill to max over a few thousand miles but when down to 2/3 stays at this level to next service .

Just as update, the van went back to VW. They drained the oil, filled to spec and I then took it back 1000km later when they checked the remaining oil. Apparently it didn't use any.. Warranty now elapsed so looking at trading in, can't see how it can suddenly stop using it. They did say though that VW would have seen no problem with a litre per 1000 miles as they've had it before, so would have been very unlikely to have had any warranty claim passed. They didn't charge for the check which I thought was good though, and a free hire van.

Just as update, the van went back to VW. They drained the oil, filled to spec and I then took it back 1000km later when they checked the remaining oil. Apparently it didn't use any.. Warranty now elapsed so looking at trading in, can't see how it can suddenly stop using it. They did say though that VW would have seen no problem with a litre per 1000 miles as they've had it before, so would have been very unlikely to have had any warranty claim passed. They didn't charge for the check which I thought was good though, and a free hire van.
Hi @Radorik ....Sounds like the dealer trying to fob you off...if it was reported prior to warranty expiring you might have a chance but lots of hassle...I’d still contact Vw customer service and try at the least to get a good will gesture...or big discount on next model :(

Burning / passing as much oil as you report I would expect some smoke, oily exhaust and probably a DPF blockage.
Have you carried out exhaust gas analysis, this should show up an oil burner?
If VW say it’s normal exhaust analysis get them to compare it with another vans exhaust.

Back