T6 Bench seat

T6Aus

hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first VW. I live in Brisbane Australia and i purchased a demo T6 and have ask the dealer if i can get a bench seat at the front. They told me that it was possible only to be told that they couldn't do it because T6 bench seat with side air bags have not been made or arrive in Australia.

Can some please shed a light to this and is it possible for me to purchase a bench seat for the T6

Thanks

Last edited:
Single and double passenger seats are a straight swap, the fixing holes for both are already in the van floor but you will need four more studs as the double uses 8 floor fixings where as the single only uses 4.
With regards to the dealer comments i can only assume your single passenger has inbuilt airbags which (to my knowledge) do not come on the double seat, i assume this would mean removing your single would trigger an airbag fault possibly as you would be removing part of the airbag system
Perhaps someone else could shed some more light on this ?

Thanks Pauly, yeah the seat has an inbuilt side airbag. The dealers are saying they're waiting for VW to make a bench with a side airbag. Thought that you guys might have them already.

Seat air bags are not an option with bench seats only with single captain seats. Passenger seat air bag is under recall, so get it checked.

Okay thanks will let them know, so how will my situation be remedied. Wanting a bench seat however as Pauly said this would trigger an airbag fault. As its still under warranty and new hasn't even done 1000km..

I'm assuming there would be a way to write it out of the vans setup but would be a dealer job and if your dealers are anything like ours in the UK they are less than forthcoming when it comes to modifications
If you are going to go for it I would unplug seat airbag and ask your dealer to clear it before removing seat so if you get problems you can plug it back in again

If you hit a wall with it let us know and we could probably figure out the coding for you by comparing vehicle scans of vans with and vans without 2nd seat airbags etc but it would be trial and error but I would defo go down the dealer route first to ensure you don't affect warranty

Thanks Pauly, will do.. I will ask them what my option are. I think their main concern was the safety and warranty. That if something happens that they would be liable or something along those line. Or VW will make bench with built in side airbags..

I'd just remove the seat and put a bench in. Can't see why it would bring an airbag faut up. If it does bridge the connector with a resistor. Fault gone.

I'd just remove the seat and put a bench in. Can't see why it would bring an airbag faut up. If it does bridge the connector with a resistor. Fault gone.
Removing a single seat with an airbag and replacing it with a double seat is something we have done many many times.
You will need 4 extra chassis brackets with captive nuts installed under the floor Pan, then 4 extra studs/nuts for the double seat.
This WILL throw up an airbag fault.
We install a resistor in the plug to get over this and turn off the fault if it is there.
Don't forget that the dash airbag will be for a single seat and VW fit a bigger one for a double.

Removing a single seat with an airbag and replacing it with a double seat is something we have done many many times.
You will need 4 extra chassis brackets with captive nuts installed under the floor Pan, then 4 extra studs/nuts for the double seat.
This WILL throw up an airbag fault.
We install a resistor in the plug to get over this and turn off the fault if it is there.
Don't forget that the dash airbag will be for a single seat and VW fit a bigger one for a double.
Ps I could do with a holiday.....just saying!

Back