T6 Aircon effectiveness

Tsixty

T6 Guru
As its been warm this week I've been reliant on the aircon a bit more in my 2019 T6 for the first time since I purchased it. I don't have anything to compare to other than previous non VW vehicles and it is, frankly, rubbish. Yesterday it was 18deg outside and I needed the temp dial permanently set to min and the fan on 2 to even keep the inside of the van remotely cool. Am I expecting too much, is the system just not great or could I have an issue?
The air was definitely being cooled but just not as much as I would have expected.

Does your temperature controls work normally as the flap for hot and cold quite regularly gets stuck, have you also had the gas pressures checked on the air con? Obviously everyone’s aware you should operate air con all year round as the seals harden and leak gas

As its been warm this week I've been reliant on the aircon a bit more in my 2019 T6 for the first time since I purchased it. I don't have anything to compare to other than previous non VW vehicles and it is, frankly, rubbish. Yesterday it was 18deg outside and I needed the temp dial permanently set to min and the fan on 2 to even keep the inside of the van remotely cool. Am I expecting too much, is the system just not great or could I have an issue?
The air was definitely being cooled but just not as much as I would have expected.
Get the van cool and then use re-circulate. It the van is not insulated then it is a large steel oven or fridge depending on the time of year, VW OEM sound deadening and insulation is almost non existent.
Don’t run the fan on setting 1 as the resistor pack will eventually burn out, very common issue.

Does your temperature controls work normally as the flap for hot and cold quite regularly gets stuck, have you also had the gas pressures checked on the air con? Obviously everyone’s aware you should operate air con all year round as the seals harden and leak gas
Thanks, yes everything works normally and I never turn the aircon off. Not had the pressure checked, just trying to gauge if I'm expecting too much from the system as I only have experience with cars to compare it too.

Get the van cool and then use re-circulate. It the van is not insulated then it is a large steel oven or fridge depending on the time of year, VW OEM sound deadening and insulation is almost non existent.
Don’t run the fan on setting 1 as the resistor pack will eventually burn out, very common issue.
Thanks, usually my fan is left on 2. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much from the installation in a van.

Thanks, usually my fan is left on 2. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much from the installation in a van.
I have a Reflex Silver van which is fully insulated and has a Reimo bathtub roof which is a very good insulator. The vans colour probably makes a big difference.

When you consider the volume of air in the vehicle and that mainly they were designed to have a bulkhead and ( un warm the air) in this space and the shuttles having rear air con units, it will take a good while, personally I purposely went for my camper conversion without air con, it’s like a reverse turbo and by the time I travelled anywhere it would probably be cooler when time to get out

The aircon in our 2016 T6 works fine - it cools the whole van (camper conversion) despite being designed for a panel van with a bulkhead.
This is in Southern European during hot summer days too.

Pete

VW as a group set the temp on most car derived vehicles at 14deg on the aircon.....but the lowest for a van is 18deg as explained to me the air space in the average van compared to a car is huge.....it would make the poor compressure work like mad. So it’s a compromise.....Summer months...T shirt and shorts for driving and lots of stops for iced drinks :inlove:

Ps... Even the wife’s Skoda is cooler than mine :eek:

VW as a group set the temp on most car derived vehicles at 14deg on the aircon.....but the lowest for a van is 18deg as explained to me the air space in the average van compared to a car is huge.....it would make the poor compressure work like mad. So it’s a compromise.....Summer months...T shirt and shorts for driving and lots of stops for iced drinks :inlove:

Ps... Even the wife’s Skoda is cooler than mine :eek:
Makes sense and kind of what I suspected, thanks for confirming and the explanation.

July+31C_ACBlower@2.jpg
A hot day in July... at least air from the vent is cool...

There's no way the air coming out of my vents is that cold. When I hold my hand in front of the vent, at best it feels a bit cool :unsure:
Perhaps the AC isn't working/cooling at all. As above any thermometer could be used to give a quick idea if it's working or not - when working properly should reach subzero temperatures at the vent.

Good excuse to buy a temperature probe :whistle: In reality I'll just see if I can notice any difference when I turn it off.

Reactions: mmi
In my high line camper conversion the air con keeps me cool/cold until the outside temp reaches 30C with the fan on 1 or 2. Then it starts to loose the battle and I have to turn the fan on full. Hope that gives you some point of reference.

In my high line camper conversion the air con keeps me cool/cold until the outside temp reaches 30C with the fan on 1 or 2. Then it starts to loose the battle and I have to turn the fan on full. Hope that gives you some point of reference.
Hmmm I really don't think mine is working properly then. Today it was 20 outside. I did an hours journey with fan on 3 and temp set to min and was only just cool enough. It is definitely cooling the air, just not as much as I would expect it to.

I don't know much about aircon systems. If it needed a bit of a regas would it behave like this or if the pressure falls does it just stop working?

Hmmm I really don't think mine is working properly then. Today it was 20 outside. I did an hours journey with fan on 3 and temp set to min and was only just cool enough. It is definitely cooling the air, just not as much as I would expect it to.

I don't know much about aircon systems. If it needed a bit of a regas would it behave like this or if the pressure falls does it just stop working?
You shouldn’t be getting problems yet with a 2019 van, highly unlikely. However if you book in for a check of the AC they will no doubt take your money.
What temperature do you want in the van if it’s 20 outside? 20 deg C is a comfortable temperature for homes and offices.

Your symptoms replicate how mine behaves when I have accidentally turned off the air con, this by turning the fan off or after its been in for service. They turn it off for some reason. Stupid question but is the LED illuminated suggesting it is turned on, I travelled a few hundred miles through France thinking my air con had failed only to discover I had turned it off by turning off the fan. Pressed the air con button and the world was a much cooler place.

Your symptoms replicate how mine behaves when I have accidentally turned off the air con, this by turning the fan off or after its been in for service. They turn it off for some reason. Stupid question but is the LED illuminated suggesting it is turned on, I travelled a few hundred miles through France thinking my air con had failed only to discover I had turned it off by turning off the fan. Pressed the air con button and the world was a much cooler place.
Good to check the obvious, but yes it is on, the light is on. It is cooling the air, just not as well as j would expect.

Back