Cabin/Pollen Filter installation

Remove cover above passenger footwell, remove small screw at end of cover strip, unclip and hinge down cover, slide fillter down.

Remove cover above passenger footwell, remove small screw at end of cover strip, unclip and hinge down cover, slide fillter down.

I have the comfort dash, not sure if that is complicating things. But to remove the end cover strip I had to remove the entire lower glovebox (see photo) with 7 more screws.

There's no way the filter is just sliding out, it looks like there's a load more dismantling to do and its looking like a can of worms. All i'm trying to do is replace the cabin filter with a charcoal one.

Any further instructions anyone?

IMG_20180105_160507642.jpg

I have the comfort dash, not sure if that is complicating things. But to remove the end cover strip I had to remove the entire lower glovebox (see photo) with 7 more screws.

There's no way the filter is just sliding out, it looks like there's a load more dismantling to do and its looking like a can of worms. All i'm trying to do is replace the cabin filter with a charcoal one.

Any further instructions anyone?

View attachment 16730
I just squeezed the filter to get that out. And, "presqueezed" the new one to make it pass that "horizontal bar". Fully agree that it's missing just about 2 cm to make the job easy. Mine is LHD but that seems to be identical - even the obstacle. And yes, I had to remove the glovebox...

Please tell me how to remove glove box and the cover above passenger footwell. Thank you very much.

Please tell me how to remove glove box and the cover above passenger footwell. Thank you very much.

The cover is clipped in. Push a trim tool between it and the glove box and lever it down across the front. When all the clips are free pull it towards you (there’s a couple of locating hooks holding it up at the back).

There are 7 torx screws in the glove box. 4 along the top and 3 along the bottom. Remove these then prise the glovebox out from the top edge, there’s a couple of clips either side. Pull the top towards you and note where the bottom locates as you do, it’ll make re fitting it easier :thumbsup:

Think you need to remove the dash end cap (the piece with the passenger airbag switch on it) before removing the glovebox

The cover is clipped in. Push a trim tool between it and the glove box and lever it down across the front. When all the clips are free pull it towards you (there’s a couple of locating hooks holding it up at the back).

There are 7 torx screws in the glove box. 4 along the top and 3 along the bottom. Remove these then prise the glovebox out from the top edge, there’s a couple of clips either side. Pull the top towards you and note where the bottom locates as you do, it’ll make re fitting it easier :thumbsup:

Could you please show me the picture of trim tool? And is it necessary to remove the glovebox before removing the cover? Thanks a lot.

The end cap of dashboard has to come off before the glovebox comes out
The glovebox and glovebox mount (and hinges etc) all come out as one complete unit
Trim tools come in lots of varieties but are basically any form of plastic wedge (don't use metal !!)
image.jpg

The end cap of dashboard has to come off before the glovebox comes out
The glovebox and glovebox mount (and hinges etc) all come out as one complete unit
Trim tools come in lots of varieties but are basically any form of plastic wedge (don't use metal !!)
View attachment 16845
thanks to Pauly. What is 'The end cap of dashboard'?

The end ap has the key switch mounted into it for deactivating the passenger airbag, if fitted. Don't turn on the ignition with this unplugged or else you'll get an airbag error fault on the MFD and instrument cluster.

The end ap has the key switch mounted into it for deactivating the passenger airbag, if fitted. Don't turn on the ignition with this unplugged or else you'll get an airbag error fault on the MFD and instrument cluster.
Thanks a lot.

Anyone that will change their cabin filters anytime soon could do me a favour and take a photo of the Cover that holds the filter in. Mine seems to be missing something as doesn't seal properly and air Is leaking out by the cover.. many thanks

Anyone that will change their cabin filters anytime soon could do me a favour and take a photo of the Cover that holds the filter in. Mine seems to be missing something as doesn't seal properly and air Is leaking out by the cover.. many thanks
An old post, but in case you haven’t resolved your concern here yet, here’s a photo of the cover.

I’ll mention that I fitted the new filter once… and found it didn’t seem quite right. It wasn't sitting as high as the old one, comfortably on the lengthwise edge and it caused the cover to bulge a bit in the middle when closed.

I trusted my instincts, pulled it out and tried again. Second time it sat really nicely. Cover closed either ease.

I haven’t checked to see if any air comes out when the engine is running…

0462C801-D4E6-4218-BCB6-1BDE372E1489.jpeg

An old post, but in case you haven’t resolved your concern here yet, here’s a photo of the cover.

I’ll mention that I fitted the new filter once… and found it didn’t seem quite right. It wasn't sitting as high as the old one, comfortably on the lengthwise edge and it caused the cover to bulge a bit in the middle when closed.

I trusted my instincts, pulled it out and tried again. Second time it sat really nicely. Cover closed either ease.

I haven’t checked to see if any air comes out when the engine is running…

View attachment 152722
I’ve found my issue when i had it serviced at vw. When replacing the filter there’s a white seal which they must’ve forgot to install back. Ordered new one through tps and mentioned to them at the next service not to forget about the seal

I’ve found my issue when i had it serviced at vw. When replacing the filter there’s a white seal which they must’ve forgot to install back. Ordered new one through tps and mentioned to them at the next service not to forget about the seal
Oh, interesting. Didn’t notice a white seal when I did it. Like a gasket?

Back