T6 5-speed gearbox wrecked 60k miles

Sparkie29

Hi all
Just a quick question from a newbie I’m in my second transporter, previous one was a 2012 t5.1 4motion with a 6 speed box and had no issues. Due to The clean air zone looming in Manchester I sold it and bought a T6 2018 5 speed 102 bhp it has done mega miles 235k but has full Vw service history and had a clutch and gearbox 18 month’s ago and only done 60k miles, on Friday the gear box wrecked itself I’ve been told this is common on Vw transporters is this true?

The 5 speed gearbox appears to be weaker than the 6 speed, but it is capable of high mileages if treated properly.
How old was the gearbox when it was put in ?

Pete

235k. !!!! Wow. On a 2018.

Is that the highest millage yet.?

Hi Pete

It was a full recon gearbox that was fitted

The problem is that there are so many variables. How well was it reconditioned, how was the gearbox treated in the next 60k etc etc.

Pete

235k. !!!! Wow. On a 2018.

Is that the highest millage yet.?
The service history is mega full service history with vw till 180k then independent vw dealer till 225k then I picked it up before and after photos

A65D705D-6C2B-45D7-B844-D9571B6A130B.jpeg

D3188E04-1E68-4EC1-B66B-AB707C93DA3A.jpeg

The problem is that there are so many variables. How well was it reconditioned, how was the gearbox treated in the next 60k etc etc.

Pete
It was reconned by Vw I’ve only done 10k in it so not sure about the other 50k

I am not gonna make a new thread
After 474.xxx km (or ~297k miles) I think my 5 speed gearbox is dead (or very close to it)
I have a 2017 T28
It makes a harsh, rattling noise in all gears and the gear stick is vibrating .
It makes a DMF rattle when in idle
I suspected it would be the DMF but can't feel anything vibrating in the clutch pedal when in neutral.
Should the rattle be loud when revving in neutral, if DMF was faulty?

I am not gonna make a new thread
After 474.xxx km (or ~297k miles) I think my 5 speed gearbox is dead (or very close to it)
I have a 2017 T28
It makes a harsh, rattling noise in all gears and the gear stick is vibrating .
It makes a DMF rattle when in idle
I suspected it would be the DMF but can't feel anything vibrating in the clutch pedal when in neutral.
Should the rattle be loud when revving in neutral, if DMF was faulty?
297K in 5 years wow!
To be honest I wouldn't be too surprised if you needed a new gearbox, clutch and DMF as that is a massive mileage, beyond what I would imagine to be the design life of the parts.

297K in 5 years wow!
To be honest I wouldn't be too surprised if you needed a new gearbox, clutch and DMF as that is a massive mileage, beyond what I would imagine to be the design life of the parts.
So after all, I went to my mechanic and asked for advice. He took it for a spin, ( like for 10 meters o_O ) and said to me "It's the gearbox, 100%"
I was a bit skeptical tbh, and was prepared to buy a DMF and clutch too.
I bought a used gearbox with low mileage (I have trust issues with refurbished one)
Bolted on the new gearbox, didn't change the DMF or clutch.
Took it for a spin and it worked like a charm. No more rattling noise on idle or when driving.
After all, my mechanic was right, it was only the gearbox :)

Mine won't go into gear three down gear
T6 2017 6 speed 28k

After new New clutch and fly wheel

Very disappointing from vw

Back