T6 150PS with Oil / coolant contamination report?

reserves

VCDS User
T6 Pro
I'm looking at an 2019 T6 150bhp California.

It's done 12,984 miles and up for Auction with BCA (owned by we buy any car, which means it was sold into WBAC)

Strangely the Mechanical Report is flagged as "Engine Bay - Oil / coolant contamination"

I've spoken to VW, it was serviced 6 weeks ago with no advisories, it's since done 1,000 miles. VW have no reports of any issues and it's still under warranty. There are no Engine Warning lights on.

It's a great spec etc, and I'm keen. I can't see how if there was any issues they wouldn't be covered by VW and haven't heard of any issues with these engines (unlike the 2010 180bhp engines)

Any thoughts?

That report is a bit ambiguous - it may mean that there is oil in the coolant or it may mean that there are splashes of oil/coolant on the bulkhead or anything inbetween. It says engine bay not engine so I read it more as leaks, though without clarification to me it says nothing.

Agree with @oldiebut goodie. They are also prone to gunge in the oil filler tube caused by condensation. Completely harmless but can look like contamination and often raised as such; I doubt the check would have been more than cursory and likely not by someone overly familiar with the specific engine.
It’s a great spec for sure and looks in decent nick @reserves ; with the warranty I wouldn’t be put off if you can get it for a decent price.

A lot can happen in 6 weeks and 1000 miles. It would seem there are many ways VW can avoid warranty.
Ask yourself why it was sold to WBAC.com when with the current market buyers are paying over the odds privately.
They are offering more for my 2019 California Beach than I have seen recent private adverts for (and more than paid for it pre-registered)

Thanks all the registration is RJ19 WPD

I do think it’s most likely nothing, but it’s that nagging doubt.

I’ll probably get outbid anyways, California’s are going for crazy money. I just sold my 2014 for £40k, I paid £40,750 in 2014….

Like it’s been said, it’s under warranty, VW don’t have any info on their system about any issues.

The only thing that I can think of is the owner has put the wrong fluid somewhere, but as it was serviced 6 weeks ago why would they realistically even be under the bonnet?

WBAC own BCA Auctions anyway and always have crazy reserve prices, also every time I’ve been to BCA people bid the same amount as I can see stuff on Autotrader for so don’t fancy my chances.

That report is a bit ambiguous - it may mean that there is oil in the coolant or it may mean that there are splashes of oil/coolant on the bulkhead or anything inbetween. It says engine bay not engine so I read it more as leaks, though without clarification to me it says nothing.

I probably confused things, It was under the ‘Engine Bay’ section.

Report attached.

Attachments

• 5205891.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 38
What’s a real shame is the I went into VW SMG to ask about it, they gave me loads of details.

She did say, oh its from our network, so we actually have all the owners details here… but I can’t give them to you because of data protection. Darn.

What’s a real shame is the I went into VW SMG to ask about it, they gave me loads of details.

She did say, oh its from our network, so we actually have all the owners details here… but I can’t give them to you because of data protection. Darn.

Could you ask SMG to pass your number onto the previous owner, then they can choose to get in touch with you or not? Nothing to lose?
Not sure if SMG would, but worth a try perhaps.

Last edited:
So the guy that was going to bid for me calls me at 9.00am to say he can’t do it. Great, S the auction is at 10:30am….

Need a BCA trade account to bid so no go after all that prep.

Back