T6.1 straight from the Factory Paint issues

rc2727

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I brought a brand new t6.1 have waited over 4months for it to arrive and I drove it off the forecourt today. Get home under new light I can see the entire paint work has circular scratches on the clear coat of the paint work. It's black and really shows up, it's also all over the body work. I believe the dealership paint protector treatment they applied has done this as its similar marks to washing a car with grit in the cloth. Any advice would be grateful as I'm speaking to the dealership about the issue. Would a simple wax remove them? Shall I demand a cost reduction/respray etc thanks again

If it’s in the clear coat it should polish out, the paint protection would need to be reapplied. Speak to the dealer, a new van shouldn’t have swirls. If needs be get an independent report. Good luck

Sadly this is very common and it's all down to poor quality prep work by the dealers valeting team. Most people 'in the know' including myself who also owns Black, will insist a brand new vehicle isn't touched on the exterior by anyone, and to just hand over the vehicle in the state it came from the factory.

No, it doesn't need re-painting, and even if worst case it did need fully painting for some bizarre reason, who on earth would except a brand new vehicle that has been fully painted. A wax won't fix this issue either. It needs what's called 'paint correction' and that certainly isn't a job for your dealership. This work needs to be done by an independent 'detailer' but make sure you do your research on the detailer.

The bad news is this won't be cheap, but if you've paid for a dealer 'paint protection' then this needs refunding at the absolute minimum.

What i'd be doing is finding a detailer, getting them to assess the job and price it, then going back to the dealership with this quote and asking them for help towards the cost.
Sadly, Black is never going to be easy to maintain, and even harder if you use roadside gangs to generally maintain your vehicle, but I agree, if it's brand new, then it should look brand new.

On the same note, anyone buying a new 6.1 really should insist the dealership doesn't pre-wash the vehicle at all. Mine came un-touched and even had all the transportation stickers and barcodes still on the panels, which was fine by me.
Almost all good detailers will advise you ask the dealers not to touch any paintwork, prior to any protection being added.

Lastly, some people say it's not the dealers fault, they just don't know, or their valeters don't get paid enough etc. I totally disagree with that, and all dealerships do and should know better, but I guess they find it cheaper to do the jobs badly, knowing that out of 100 vans or cars they do wrong, only a tiny percentage of owners will actually notice.

Edit:
If you struggle to find a detailer, and as you are not overly far from Leicester, my good friend Shane, who owns 'SL Valeting', who many people know for his stunning Red T6 Edition, rectifies all Parkway Leicester Volkswagen's paint issues, including the exact issue you have, and I can arrange a meeting with him if you can get over here.

Last edited:
I had this on my T5 11 years ago , it's nothing to do with the factory it's the idiots at the dealer who don't know how to wash a van. I got them to polish mine and it was fine.

I was worried they'd do it again when I collected my t6.1 but luckily apart from a couple of scratches they didn't swirl mark this one.

I had this issue when I received our Q5, as I took it straight from the dealer as is to get it ceramic coated. One of the lower panels was badly scratched, got the report from my ceramic guy and Audi didn’t argue and got the panel repaired.
Don’t take any prisoners when you speak with VW but do be polite.
Are you still within your 14 days of ownership. You could use that to your advantage.

I certainly wouldn't want a brand new vehicle re sprayed and it wont need it anyway.

I wouldn't let the dealer sort it either. I would get them to cover the cost of a real detailer to put the paint right.
Happy to stand corrected! I had made an assumption that they’d cocked up spraying on the “paint protection”.

Thanks for all the help guys. I drove it to the dealership today and it's raining as you can barely see them. The dealer has said he'll get it booked in to have a review of the paint work asap. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Sadly this is very common and it's all down to poor quality prep work by the dealers valeting team. Most people 'in the know' including myself who also owns Black, will insist a brand new vehicle isn't touched on the exterior by anyone, and to just hand over the vehicle in the state it came from the factory.

No, it doesn't need re-painting, and even if worst case it did need fully painting for some bizarre reason, who on earth would except a brand new vehicle that has been fully painted. A wax won't fix this issue either. It needs what's called 'paint correction' and that certainly isn't a job for your dealership. This work needs to be done by an independent 'detailer' but make sure you do your research on the detailer.

The bad news is this won't be cheap, but if you've paid for a dealer 'paint protection' then this needs refunding at the absolute minimum.

What i'd be doing is finding a detailer, getting them to assess the job and price it, then going back to the dealership with this quote and asking them for help towards the cost.
Sadly, Black is never going to be easy to maintain, and even harder if you use roadside gangs to generally maintain your vehicle, but I agree, if it's brand new, then it should look brand new.

On the same note, anyone buying a new 6.1 really should insist the dealership doesn't pre-wash the vehicle at all. Mine came un-touched and even had all the transportation stickers and barcodes still on the panels, which was fine by me.
Almost all good detailers will advise you ask the dealers not to touch any paintwork, prior to any protection being added.

Lastly, some people say it's not the dealers fault, they just don't know, or their valeters don't get paid enough etc. I totally disagree with that, and all dealerships do and should know better, but I guess they find it cheaper to do the jobs badly, knowing that out of 100 vans or cars they do wrong, only a tiny percentage of owners will actually notice.

Edit:
If you struggle to find a detailer, and as you are not overly far from Leicester, my good friend Shane, who owns 'SL Valeting', who many people know for his stunning Red T6 Edition, rectifies all Parkway Leicester Volkswagen's paint issues, including the exact issue you have, and I can arrange a meeting with him if you can get over here.

Working in leicester today as it happens. Although it's raining and I cant see the swirls. Could you give me your guys details? Cheers and thanks for the detailed response and help

Working in leicester today as it happens. Although it's raining and I cant see the swirls. Could you give me your guys details? Cheers and thanks for the detailed response and help

If you PM me your mobile number, I will pass it over the Shane.
Shane has a regular customer base and he's reluctant to take on new customers from random phone calls. Detailers and valeters in general, get so many messers and dreamers calling them constantly, so you often find some of these guys won't get involved with giving out advice and prices, simply on the basis that many of these people take up their valuable time, but don't actually book any work. I know that sounds daft, but its not unusual. I will pass on your details personally.

Back