T6.1 Sportline: panel van or kombi which is best?

Nick85

T6 Pro
So I’ve had my BE swb panel van since March this year. I have had a lwb kombi sportline on order since last June and I’ve been told it should be with me in February. It was going to a member of staff buts it not now. I’m debating selling my BE and taking that one.
Pros I have 2 little kids and could see us using it with bikes etc, but we have an XC90 for the weekends.
I though about making it a bit of a day van/ mild camper with a table so I can swivel the seat and do some work in the van whilst on site.
I love my BE, I’ve soundproofed the cab and carpet lined the bulkhead and rear. I guess I could do the whole of the kombi. And get some nice headliner and speakers in the back.
Any advice on someone that’s driven both a panel van and a kombi? It feels wrong to sell a BE but I don’t know

I prefer my Kombi to the panel van. It’s slightly more versatile, more like a large estate car rather than a van.
The only downside is if you regularly carry long loads or large steps/ladders, but you can still get a lot in the rear behind the bulkhead.

Very much a personal taste thing. But, I would say the LWB Kombi would make an awesome family wagon, the XC90 is big and i'm sure it works well, but if you had the kombi i'm sure you will never look back! We have 2 small kids and a SWB Kombi, I would have preferred the LWB but even still its just so useful as you say with bikes and other sports gear.
You can get changed in the back when the weather hammers it do. It makes going on holiday a breeze. Don't need to think about packing the van just open the tailgate and put it in! bikes, surfboards, dog, wife kids, the lot.

Work wise its still got loads of space, especially the LWB so as long as this meets your works needs its a win win and you dont need the XC90 and that will save some ££ not running two vehicles.

Only downside is the bare kombi out the factory is slightly more noisy that the PV with a bulk head. Its essentially a large tin box! It will also almost definitely not quite be as luxurious and quiet as the XC90 but, as im sure your aware with the mods on your current PV you can deaden it, line it out and do some interior upgrades to get to a very nice level of comfort.

Also your PV BE should still be holding its price well due to current supply issues and supply and demand.

Cheers for the advice. Not getting rid of the XC90, got a new one coming next week. Wife needs it.
One of the perks of the kombi would be sending it to get kitted out, soundproofed and lined, lighting, some kind of drop down big tv for the kids.
I think I’m swinging to that, hopefully get a premium for my BE. Might put the feelers out

I’ve had a PV which I converted to a Kombi and now a factory Kombi - the van with the bulkhead was the most refined (for a van) but I love the Kombi and once deadened and carpet lined it is a nice place to be.

We use ours after a bike ride or walk as somewhere to get changed, have a cuppa or hot choc and to eat a picnic lunch or fish and chips - can get two push bikes in the back and still keep the Kombi seat and front area clean and tidy.

Sorry for being dim but what is a BE?

3CD3EC1C-1130-497F-84AF-3DC727E8F787.jpeg

F2C51E59-2D12-4029-9C3C-73A066BDFE7C.jpeg

88444FA2-E493-4EFF-AF11-1A2E0FC57CAB.jpeg

C45B6E79-87F4-4A80-AADD-75446D19A6F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
That looks good. I want to be able to sit and work on my laptop now and again, that table would be idea.
It’s a sportline black edition

Back