fireblade669

Afternoon Volksfriends, I hope you're all keeping well.

I'm not having much luck with my T6.1 so far. On day 1, the barn door opening mechanism failed. A month in, the front drivers window started leaking like a sieve.

Now I've got water coming in through the top of the sliding door past the seal (I assume). Unfortunately, assuming that a new van might be waterproof I'd left a load of kit in the van for a week and now it's all ruined... Great.
20210207_120021.jpg

I just wanted to sound everyone out and see if this was something others have had. I'm deciding how I want to deal with this now with the dealer/contract hire firm. I've had enough of the thing at this point. I've had countless Dubs (Transporters and Crafters) and never had more than the occasional age-related issue before now. Obviously in the short term though it just needs sealing!

Thanks for any input,

G.

My t6.1 has water coming in both sliding doors, hardly use it at the moment but noticed mildew running down from the sliding windows. In for a service shortly so was going to get it looked at, pretty poor eh

My t6.1 has water coming in both sliding doors, hardly use it at the moment but noticed mildew running down from the sliding windows. In for a service shortly so was going to get it looked at, pretty poor eh
That's really bad. There are a few signs of them decreasing costs on this model. Real shame as I've always loved my VWs. Thanks for the reply Bernie.

G.

Yes - they replaced both windows and the door cards which were mouldy. Not sure if it’s fixed as hasn’t rained that much but we’ll see

Thanks for the reply mine isn’t leaking through the windows it’s leaking past the door seal rubber and the dealer won’t replace it as they can not replicate the leak

Afternoon Volksfriends, I hope you're all keeping well.

I'm not having much luck with my T6.1 so far. On day 1, the barn door opening mechanism failed. A month in, the front drivers window started leaking like a sieve.

Now I've got water coming in through the top of the sliding door past the seal (I assume). Unfortunately, assuming that a new van might be waterproof I'd left a load of kit in the van for a week and now it's all ruined... Great.
View attachment 102360

I just wanted to sound everyone out and see if this was something others have had. I'm deciding how I want to deal with this now with the dealer/contract hire firm. I've had enough of the thing at this point. I've had countless Dubs (Transporters and Crafters) and never had more than the occasional age-related issue before now. Obviously in the short term though it just needs sealing!

Thanks for any input,

G.
Have you had this problem fixed by Vw I have the same problem and vw can not identify where the leak is coming from
Be good to hear if your’s has been fixed
Cheers james

Hi I have a brand new 2022 T6.1 Kombi with twin sliders and both doors are leaking at the seal. The kids were sat in the back and pointed it out saying its dripping on them. I now have wet back seat seat edges. I've got it booked in at VW next week but would like any pointers beforehand.

Cheers

I had exactly the same took photos and videos of the water dripping in , the van went into vw 3 times and vw said they had to replicate the fault whilst it was at the dealership which they couldn’t, I got vw uk involved and sent them the videos they were a waste of time but because I kept on making a fuss they contacted the dealership manager and I provided him with the names of two other dealerships who had agreed to change the rubber round the door frame and the rubber that is bonded to the side of the van, the dealership manager eventually agreed to replace all the rubbers on my van which he had to pay for himself as could not claim from vw under warranty as they will only pay out when the dealership can replicate the fault, I also had a Reimo awning rail fitted on the side of the van and had no leaks since
Good luck hope this helps

I had exactly the same took photos and videos of the water dripping in , the van went into vw 3 times and vw said they had to replicate the fault whilst it was at the dealership which they couldn’t, I got vw uk involved and sent them the videos they were a waste of time but because I kept on making a fuss they contacted the dealership manager and I provided him with the names of two other dealerships who had agreed to change the rubber round the door frame and the rubber that is bonded to the side of the van, the dealership manager eventually agreed to replace all the rubbers on my van which he had to pay for himself as could not claim from vw under warranty as they will only pay out when the dealership can replicate the fault, I also had a Reimo awning rail fitted on the side of the van and had no leaks since
Good luck hope this helps
Thanks for your help. Hopefully I get an understanding dealer and they can replicate fault. I’m hoping it’s a quick fix crazy for 60k van if you ask me. Plus I want it insulated and lined and don’t want to give them an excuse it’s that that has caused the leak.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully I get an understanding dealer and they can replicate fault. I’m hoping it’s a quick fix crazy for 60k van if you ask me. Plus I want it insulated and lined and don’t want to give them an excuse it’s that that has caused the leak.
If I had to guess a cause, I’d go for door alignment rather than faulty rubber on a new van. The rubber is extruded in strips a bazillion m long, but each van door has many opportunities to be unique. At a well known British car factory, I saw a rework station where they would adjust the fit of the doors individually. Are the gaps even all the way round? Door edges exactly flush to the adjacent panel?

Unless the rubber is stuck on catastrophically far from the line it’s is supposed to fit to…

If I had to guess a cause, I’d go for door alignment rather than faulty rubber on a new van. The rubber is extruded in strips a bazillion m long, but each van door has many opportunities to be unique. At a well known British car factory, I saw a rework station where they would adjust the fit of the doors individually. Are the gaps even all the way round? Door edges exactly flush to the adjacent panel?

Unless the rubber is stuck on catastrophically far from the line it’s is supposed to fit to…
I honestly can't tell using my untrained eye. I'll ask dealer when I drop it off if its a door alignment issue and see what response I get. Thanks again

maybe its the demand is too great, we all rave about them and love them but they have dropped the ball on quality to keep up with demand. I am going to take my windows apart. just made new panels, carpeted etc and found that one of the rear panels had water stains down the back and the passenger sliding door panel was stained, now realised that both sliders are leaking. siliconed the bolt over in the roof rails and now onto the sliding windows. real shame, had none of this on my 2009 which I had for 11+ years. dealers are not really interestedness they can replicate at £120 +vat per hour, my warranty ran out 2 months ago, so doubt any help there.

I've just received a new T6.1 Kombi, both sliding doors drip from the top seal onto the seats when its raining :( Been back to the dealer twice already; first they adjusted one door, second they said they've found the issue - VW had sealed over drain channels at the top of the pillar between driver & sliding door during manufacture (both doors), they've now cleared & fixed it. Took it home, still raining - same problem, no change. Not convinced the door alignment is right. My T5 (12 years) has never leaked like this, the doors are definitely pressing against the top seal more.

IMG_7265.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I've just received a new T6.1 Kombi, both sliding doors drip from the top seal onto the seats when its raining :( Been back to the dealer twice already; first they adjusted one door, second they said they've found the issue - VW had sealed over drain channels at the top of the pillar between driver & sliding door during manufacture (both doors), they've now cleared & fixed it. Took it home, still raining - same problem, no change. Not convinced the door alignment is right. My T5 (12 years) has never leaked like this, the doors are definitely pressing against the top seal more.

View attachment 184639
Take it back and tell them to use a hose pipe on the door to prove it’s sealing before you accept it back.
You can always reject the van.

View attachment 184639

View attachment 184639

Have you got soft close doors on yours? Only reason I ask is that we noticed an issue with water and also noticed that if we get a been keen and press the lock button before the door has fully done its soft close bit that the door stops at that point and doesn’t close any further.\\we now carefully wait for the door to do its business and the. We lock. Touch wood, we haven’t had the issue sinc.

My story mirrors much of what you guys are saying, I bought a brand new Kombi earlier this month and every time it rained, water dripped in through the top of the sliding doors saturating the seats. I would even use the front doors when checking for drips so no water would fall off the roof into the van and I would still find lots of fresh rain drops on the top of the door just the same as the blue transporter photo from Kaos.
I sent the van back to the main dealers and they've said they have tried to replicate the weather conditions but still cannot locate the leak which has left me dumbfounded.
I spoke to the Service Manager today and told him that I really believe the seals are too thin and not substantial enough because there doesn't seem to be enough compression in them when the doors are shut. I can poke my finger tips up through the door seals very easily.
The Service manager said even If they replaced the seals, they would be the same seals that they would replace them with.

Interesting to read these comments. My T6.1 kombi is in the workshop with similar issues. Less than 2 months old and it’s leaking from the top seal of the sliding door, leaving puddles on the rear seats.

I’m also seeing water ingress on the top seals of both driver and passenger doors, but not to the point where it’s dripping inside the van as much as in the back.

Not only these issues, to top it off, both sliding windows are failing and showing water ingress. Clearly this new window mechanism is not fit for purpose.

It’s piss poor tbh.

5323CD74-6C00-4881-98C8-A6B6B34233B4.jpeg

E2A1D0C4-EF70-4F6C-9F01-8797E57B0E45.jpeg

5F766CE7-FBD3-4355-BC30-150D8C057655.jpeg

22C53E63-60AE-4022-9976-D11F0BB4FB50.jpeg

7420FD8D-4D28-4647-8984-1D91D4143A38.jpeg

Hi Split66
I am really sorry to hear this bad news, my fault on the sliding door seals is exactly the same as yours, Vertu VW Hereford, took it in and did two water tests and said that they could not find the problem and it had also rained rain during the time it has been down there, as this the case, VW UK said that I have to take the Kombi back and get a second opinion. Vertu VW Hereford has had the van for three weeks and I am getting it back tomorrow.
How they can say there are no leaks defies logic, when it stood outside my house and leaked every day it had rained,It just does not add up.
Please tell me if you have made any progress. with fault finding. When our kombo leaks in again, I am taking it straight to the VW Dealer in the South Lakes who already seem to keen to investigate the problem. It seems like we need a communal voice to get our problems heard.
Best regards

IMG20230101105303.jpg

IMG20230101105724.jpg

IMG20230101110216.jpg

IMG20230101124028.jpg

An update from my earlier post; I also see several others reporting the same issue - it's rubbish isn't it? My Kombi has been back to the dealer (Basingstoke) 3 times now. The last was for 4 weeks while they investigated the problem! They also had 2 new vehicles with the issue. The conclusion - prolonged rain (hours) allows a build-up of water past the top seal, it then overflows past the inner seal. Cause - the sliding door alignment is incorrect, particularly the O/S. They have fully adjusted both doors inwards and replaced the top outer seals, a new batch seems to be a slightly firmer rubber extrusion. It should be obvious the top outer seal is compressed when doors are closed.

It seems there is at least a batch(es) of Kombi's coming out of Germany with poorly fitting doors. So far I've not seen further ingress, but it's not yet rained significantly. Under consumer rights, I've reserved the right in writing to reject the van if it returns.

Should say my local dealer has been very good and diligent, even though the time scale has been frustrating. If you're still having problems push your dealer to move the doors inwards & replace top outer seals under warranty. If your seats are water stained they should be replaced under warranty. It's a VW problem, they need to deal with it and compensate where applicable.

IMG_7341.png IMG_7344.png

Back