T6.1 underbody corrosion

Nigel L

T6 Pro
I had a look under my 20 plate T6.1 with just over 2000 miles on, (yes, I know I need to use it more!), which is mostly kept in the garage when not being used.
I must say, I was a little surprised that the wishbones and main frame, had signs of some surface corrosion starting on them. Was thinking of giving them a quick coat with some waxoil, or old engine oil, to help try and keep the tin worm from getting hold, or at least slow it’s progress down.
Anyone here put any protection on theirs, or just leave and let nature take its course.
I do have this thing about keeping an eye on the underneath of my vehicles, probable something to do with owning several TVR’s over the years, and the need to keep the chassis clean and protected

I to have used lanoguard, lovely stuff, but little smelly.

I take off all the plastics under the van and wheel arches and spray liberally.
It will need to be done every couple of years, I do mine every year at the moment.

Good stuff , easy and quick to apply, not to messy to use

Imho better than spraying underseal

We purchased a T6.1 multivan here in Australia a year ago, brand new, at its first service by our mechanic they reported excessive corrosion of underbody components, as photos below show. We don't use salt on our roads in Australia so I'm surprised at the extent of the corrosion. We also have a T5 multivan purchased new in 2007 and it's underbody components show no signs of any corrosion. Doing research on the forums it seems several other T6 owners have also experienced excessive underbody corrosion. Referring to photos below what are your thoughts, normal, excessive?

1660614567992.png
1660614616861.png
1660614647509.png
1660614677275.png
1660614695890.png
1660614726794.png
1660614761541.png

Your mechanic needs to spend a Busman’s holiday in Eastern Canada to see what excessive corrosion really looks like.

Looks like surface rust.

Just give it a rub over with a wire brush, then a go with black spray can.

It will be fine.

Or brush on some underbody seal.

The cast components always do this, get a tin of black wax oil and spray them (use a wire brush to remove any loose first) if you any paint it it will just come off in the future.
Actually, I’ll be doing mine soon.

Cast iron parts like wishbones are thick and a but of surface corrosion will not hurt them.

Reactions: DXX
Morning folks.. What is the best method and product to use to underseal the bottom of the van? Is it worth going for a lanoguard spray type product or are there other methods which could be applied by brush. Also seen above black wax oil in spray can mentioned. Van needs done especially around a 'void' which has been formed for the exhaust of my internally fitted diesel heater. Not pretty and worried may start corroding even more! Van lowered but could drive up onto sleepers to improve access below.

The van underbody and internal panels are sprayed with a white wax oil water proofer at the factory from day one.

That's what vw use, so maybe have a lot of at that option.

Keep it away from the plastics and heat shields.

Good man @Dellmassive As usual never get a minute then thinking about firing up diesel heater.... Crawled under van and got but if a surprise after install, not sure if exhaust will generate a lot of heat here.... Somehow I think it should have a plate made or something to stop spray going up or any little friends even! Glad this is my 'practice' van!

IMG_20230107_161024.jpg

The derv heater exhaust pipe will get extremely hot.... Hot enough to melt plastic. (So don't wax oil it)

Yours looks new as it's not turned a colour yet.?

I'd say fire up the heater on full blast for an hour a few times as it will be stinking for ages. . . . And will take a few heat cycles before the new heater smell goes.

You will notice the exhaust pipe may change colour.

(Above based on my Chinese cloan heater testings)

The derv heater exhaust pipe will get extremely hot.... Hot enough to melt plastic. (So don't wax oil it)

Yours looks new as it's not turned a colour yet.?

I'd say fire up the heater on full blast for an hour a few times as it will be stinking for ages. . . . And will take a few heat cycles before the new heater smell goes.

You will notice the exhaust pipe may change colour.

(Above based on my Chinese cloan heater testings)
Yes new. Installed during phase 2 of works.... Think that was October. Going to fill with red diesel and prime, run through cycles and fire up! Been watching YouTube so idea of 1 or 2 methods I'll try. Still reckon some sort of plate or cement board type material may be idea? The wax oil I see you can brush on as well so may be more controlled.

I can recommend Bilt Hamber Dynax UB, and S50 for underbody and inside voids respectively, your best bet is the 5litre jugs but you'll need a compressor and a wax spray gun to get the best out of it.

Last edited:
I've had the bilt hamber on a few vehicles and so long as you don't drive it with it just applied it's fine, clean underside on all of them a year later, just allow the thinner to flash off for a day or two.

Back