T6.1 Replacement DSG Cost ??

AK06FR

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Whilst driving on the motorway in the early hours I hit some road debris - I think part of a lorry!! The end result was catastrophic DSG gearbox failure. According to VW whatever I hit punctured the gearbox. It emptied the DSG oil in a matter or seconds, Blackpool illumination on the dash and loss of transmission. Its an insurance job (I hope!!) but I'm interested to know what the bill might be to replace the DSG gearbox?

Whilst driving on the motorway in the early hours I hit some road debris - I think part of a lorry!! The end result was catastrophic DSG gearbox failure. According to VW whatever I hit punctured the gearbox. It emptied the DSG oil in a matter or seconds, Blackpool illumination on the dash and loss of transmission. Its an insurance job (I hope!!) but I'm interested to know what the bill might be to replace the DSG gearbox?

Holy crap, that is a one in a million spout of bad luck mate, I feel for you.
I'd like to know the outcome of this one out of pure interest. I don't suppose you had a dash cam that caught the incident did you? It will be interesting to know if your insurance were helpful too.

I'm not sure i've read of anyone having to replace a DSG box, and i'm not sure if the 6.1 box is the same as the 6, but my goodness that's going to cost some dosh to fix, specially if Volkswagen are doing the work.

Good luck getting this sorted.

I had a V8 Landcruiser with 52 miles on the clock when the gearbox seized due to a numpty at the factory overfilling it.

The total bill was just over £9000 inc vat, fitting etc, obviously picked up by the warranty.

I can imagine the DSG on VW being at least half as much.

@Tourershine No dash cam sorry. It was all very quick. First thing I noticed (after the horrible noise of something passing under the van) was the trail of oil vapour in my mirrors, followed by loss of transmission and engine revving round to the rev limiter when I put my foot down. I think there was a "stop driving message" but I was more concerned about getting off the motorway. I did get to test my SOS button and it worked perfectly.

Its a French van, in France with French insurance so will be interesting to see how that goes. It will be a first for me.

Oh just noted that posted this in the wrong place - sorry!!

I had a V8 Landcruiser with 52 miles on the clock when the gearbox seized due to a numpty at the factory overfilling it.

The total bill was just over £9000 inc vat, fitting etc, obviously picked up by the warranty.

I can imagine the DSG on VW being at least half as much.
VW did confirm it's not covered under the warranty .....

I had my DSG box replaced along with new clutch packs and flywheel and the bill ended up around £3.5-4K not sore exactly as I didn’t pay it

Not too bad really, as long the insurance company plays ball.

I look on the positive side, no body was hurt, and its only a van. I might get kicked off the forum for saying the later ...

Last edited:
I had my DSG box replaced along with new clutch packs and flywheel and the bill ended up around £3.5-4K not sore exactly as I didn’t pay it
If that's all new parts, then I'm really surprised how reasonable that actually sounds.

That’s the prices that were banded around, I can’t be certain if that was the entire job or just materials, I was just glad they only asked me to contribute a few hundred quid

Back