T6.1 OEM Reversing Camera is poor

Johnny666B

Hi T6 forum,

Got a question if anyone can help,
So I ordered a T6.1, 4 motion, 7speed au, had factory fitted detachable Towbar, led front and rear lights, six seats and a spoiler and then thought I know what I will have a reversing camera fitted at factory. Wow the reversing camera is absolutely crap, blurry, screen flickers, green reversing lines look like they were from an Atari graphic card.
Is this normal? My nextbase rear £50 dash cam is far superior to the one VW have fitted. Or could I have a connection issue maybe.
Has anyone got the genuine VW reversing camera fitted and do you have the same issue.
Many thanks

79D36294-65FA-43FF-8446-028CB603E487.jpeg

3490BACD-CC97-4DD3-8372-4AC146CF583B.jpeg

Haha very true. Think mine has a loose connection as the Pixals are scatty, my 7 year old bunny rabbit £8 camera has better pixels.

Hi, I have just had my T6.1 delivered and I’m very disappointed with the reverse camera. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issues. The picture quality is very poor and the camera appears to be recessed into the holder too far so the display corners are cut off.
I also find it ridiculous that you cannot actually see the back bumper or tow bar with the camera. I have been in touch with VW who are claiming that is how it’s designed!
Thanks Mark

8CE97C58-7AAE-4C90-A2AC-99D191A17969.jpeg

Not sure if this is T6.1 -->

Hi, I have just had my T6.1 delivered and I’m very disappointed with the reverse camera. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issues. The picture quality is very poor and the camera appears to be recessed into the holder too far so the display corners are cut off.
I also find it ridiculous that you cannot actually see the back bumper or tow bar with the camera. I have been in touch with VW who are claiming that is how it’s designed!
Thanks Mark

View attachment 120932
Mine is certainly not like that. I can see the edge of the number plate on my camera.

Thanks for the help. I had watched the video from them earlier and the camera seems significantly better than mine. I’m going to email them and see if they can also confirm it’s not right and if they have any solution. And also go back to VW to see what they have to say about it.
Thanks Mark

Reactions: mmi
On the back of the camera there is a little plastic clip that locks the camera into the housing/surround and stops the camera being pushed back inside, i am guessing theres something wrong with your clip and thats why the camera is recessed

On the back of the camera there is a little plastic clip that locks the camera into the housing/surround and stops the camera being pushed back inside, i am guessing theres something wrong with your clip and thats why the camera is recessed”
Thanks for your reply, I had a look at this and the camera is fully seated in the plastic housing, I think that they have either changed the camera or the plastic housing that mounts to the door and they are not compatible. It looks to me like the camera needs to be at least 1mm deeper into the housing.

I meant of the actual camera to see how it fits
Aah sorry. Here’s a few. I have popped it apart and tried reassembling to see if I could get it to sit further in but with the camera hard against a shoulder in the plastic holder that’s as far as it goes. Definitely something not right with it!
Thanks Mark

A0278D16-2C1A-467B-8260-BB338DA1DE8F.jpeg8EA5C610-CE88-4C42-8FEE-087EDCE532D3.jpegBDB70AA4-D341-4104-B0A8-4C5F99625E21.jpeg

Now that's a first! What's it doing there?
It's supposed to be under the door handle next to the number plate light. You can even see the hole where it should be in the 1st pic posted above.

Back