T6.1 OEM LED Headlight retrofit

RichLatho

Hi all. I’ve just had my T6.1 delivered and now regret not having the Led headlights. Does anyone know where I could buy them please? Genuine VW ones? Is VW commercial the only place to source them from?

Many Thanks in advance :)

Yes VW will be the only place but you do realise it’s not a straight swap, wiring will need to be installed/modified and you you should really be looking at doing the levelling system too !
I’m not aware of anyone that has done an LED retrofit on a 6.1 yet so there’s not much info out there yet

If you want to send me your VIN number I would be happy to start looking into this and getting a list of part numbers/prices together for this upgrade

I think you are the first to complain about the new 6.1 standard lights on here. Have you driven a t6 with standard lights and if so are the new ones better ? I cannot believe they are still fitting bad lights . I have just fitted Philips race vision h4 in mine and they are the best so far and can manage with them.

I thought they'd ditched the H4 and the T6.1 were either H7 Halogen or LED, I've seen a few T6.1 with the LEDs and they do look smart...

As for retrofit, I'm about to do it on my T6, but with the T6.1 I'd imagine all the parts will be VW / Valeo, ballast packs my be interchangeable with existing VW models? Pauly will have a list I'm sure. But more to the point who is going to be first to facelift their T6 to T6.1 and do the LEDS at the same time?...

I seriously considered it but needs new BCM which is then tied to radio/cluster etc etc not sure it’s feasible in any scenario

Yes VW will be the only place but you do realise it’s not a straight swap, wiring will need to be installed/modified and you you should really be looking at doing the levelling system too !
I’m not aware of anyone that has done an LED retrofit on a 6.1 yet so there’s not much info out there yet
It sounds like a lot of work, I just liked the look of them but I’m not going to swap if it’s a nightmare TBH.

I think you are the first to complain about the new 6.1 standard lights on here. Have you driven a t6 with standard lights and if so are the new ones better ? I cannot believe they are still fitting bad lights . I have just fitted Philips race vision h4 in mine and they are the best so far and can manage with them.

I can’t compare to the T6 but they seem good lights but I just liked the look of the Led versions.

Hello all, just picked up a 2020 T6.1 with 3k miles. It has the standard halogen headlights. I would like to have the LED version. I've not managed to source any after market ones but can source original VW ones. Question is, will they connect up OK? Indicators on LED headlights are built into the lamp and have a blanking plate where the indicators are if you have the standard ones.

s-l1600.jpg

Hello all, just picked up a 2020 T6.1 with 3k miles. It has the standard halogen headlights. I would like to have the LED version. I've not managed to source any after market ones but can source original VW ones. Question is, will they connect up OK? Indicators on LED headlights are built into the lamp and have a blanking plate where the indicators are if you have the standard ones.

View attachment 82129
I think it’s highly unlikely that it’s a simple plug and play swap. The T6 OEM LED retrofit required additional wiring, levelling sensors and other hardware plus BCM coding changes.

I suspect it’s a similar story on the 6.1 but it’s a different platform electrically and I don’t know if anyone has done it yet.

Picked up my 6.1 two days ago with halogens fitted - asked the dealer if it’s easy to retrofit VW LEDs as a simple swap-out, the answer was “no”.
Mine’s a copper bronze as well, looks like we need a ‘team copper bronze’ thread.........

Looks like we'll have to wait for someone to design the aftermarket ones! Set up the thread...I looked earlier for one and didn't see one!

Picked up my 6.1 two days ago with halogens fitted - asked the dealer if it’s easy to retrofit VW LEDs as a simple swap-out, the answer was “no”.
Mine’s a copper bronze as well, looks like we need a ‘team copper bronze’ thread.........
can you give me your colour code? i was gonna do bottom half then i can join your team copper lol

HELP! Im picking up my T6 Campervan in October with a thought of converting my standard lights as supplied to a LED light arrangement.
Not being very electrical minded, but can read scematics and follow steps to plug and play units, are there any units out there that someone can advise me on how to aquire a good priced unit?

HELP! Im picking up my T6 Campervan in October with a thought of converting my standard lights as supplied to a LED light arrangement.
Not being very electrical minded, but can read scematics and follow steps to plug and play units, are there any units out there that someone can advise me on how to aquire a good priced unit?
There are no plug and play options for the t6.1. EM tuning might be able to modify you a set?

Transporter HQ have an aftermarket T6.1 headlight coming out later this year and if their T6 ones are anything to go by, it will be a very good quality upgrade with LED bulbs.

I went to check the coding of a T6.1 the other day and my latest VCDS could not change any coding in the BCM like it could on my earlier 69 plate T6, may have to wait for Ross Tech to update the rods but at this stage it does not look possible.

View attachment 82129
T6.1 OEM LED headlamps use 14 pin connectors (with 5 wires) and are controlled via CAN by the BCM.
The wires are:
CAN H, CAN L, GND, PERMANENT 12V and LOW BEAM.

And T6.1 OEM H7 setup uses 10 pin connectors (with 8 wires) and headlamps are fed by direct connection to the BCM(no CAN).
The wires are:
GND x 2, IGNITION 12V, MANUAL RANGE CONTROL, LOW BEAM, HIGH BEAM, FLASHER, SIDE/DRL.

This is similar to T6 H7 setup but with some differences.
T6 H7 setup uses 5 light bulbs per headlamp and T6.1 only 3!

Back