T6.1 Horn location and replacement

Yes I drove up a levelling chock and got in underneath. I’ll be doing it again in 2 weeks time when I collect the 4M Black Pearl ahhhhh Haaaaa Jim Lad.
Dosent need a relay. Wear a thick long sleeved item to stop the arms rubbing when you pulling apart the plastic bits.
I had to bend the metal horn bracket a bit to get the T25 ( I think, !) onto the torx bolt.
But it’s all doable from under zee knees
It came today. I shall fit at the weekend, but gave the horn 12V to test...... Couldn't resist setting up to a power supply and then asking my 9 year old for help..... "Just touch this wire on the yellow terminal when I say, as I can't do it without your help!"...... ha ha ha..... jumped out of her skin! Can't beat a good old fashioned prank!

Tone of the thing sounds great and is definitely loud!

It came today. I shall fit at the weekend, but gave the horn 12V to test...... Couldn't resist setting up to a power supply and then asking my 9 year old for help..... "Just touch this wire on the yellow terminal when I say, as I can't do it without your help!"...... ha ha ha..... jumped out of her skin! Can't beat a good old fashioned prank!

Tone of the thing sounds great and is definitely loud!
Lol, that’s part of our job description isn’t it ?
Lol. Gota give the kids some sh11, hahahhaha

Today I fitted 2 horns. (One to each of my work van and one to my camper.)

Fitted this cheapo horn to my work van:

Fitted this one in my camper:

Not sure the PIAA horns were worth the extra money, as perfectly happy with the cheapo horn sounding like a train horn! (The PIAA horn sounds more like I'd expect from a BMW, Range Rover or something, but who wants that when you can sound like the Eurostar?:cool: )

841276DA-E77F-496F-B082-05A975D040DB.jpeg

The only faff with fitting the cheapo horn was that it was a bit heavy compared to the PIAA. I consequently didn't trust the thin plate that the existing horn was mounted. (I did away with the thin plate and fitted the new horn to the main bracket. I needed to use a long M8 bolt and three nuts which I used as shown in the photo. This allowed the thing to be orientated and secured properly.)

The PIAA horns were fitted on the thin tin plate in the exact same location as the original horns using a thin M8 bolt.

My method of fitting the new horns was as follows:

Jacked up van with drivers side front wheel removed.

Removed push fit arch fixing with a trim tool.
Remove all 7x T25 screws as follows-
3 x Bottom front of arch liner
2 x Front of arch liner.
1 x Centre's top of arch liner.
1 x arch in front of suspension.

Pull liner back to reveal old horn.

Remove old horn using a 13 mm spanner.

Cut the wiring as close to the OEM plug as possible.

If wanting to fit new horn to the main bracket and not the thin plate, use a T50 to remove the thin plate which will allow you to use the main bracket.

Crimp horn connections and fit new horn, making heat shrinks with hot air gun.(Brown is neg on OEM wiring)

Put everything back together and refitted wheel and enjoy not having a horn like Noddy!

448C5C38-7FD2-495B-9FDA-47A52F94A4B9.jpeg

I didn't use a relay or additional power supply and am happy that the OEM 2.5 sq mm cable is fine for any horn up to 20 amps or so.

Hope this all makes sense.

Today I fitted 2 horns. (One to each of my work van and one to my camper.)

Fitted this cheapo horn to my work van:

Fitted this one in my camper:

Not sure the PIAA horns were worth the extra money, as perfectly happy with the cheapo horn sounding like a train horn! (The PIAA horn sounds more like I'd expect from a BMW, Range Rover or something, but who wants that when you can sound like the Eurostar?:cool: )

View attachment 179789

The only faff with fitting the cheapo horn was that it was a bit heavy compared to the PIAA. I consequently didn't trust the thin plate that the existing horn was mounted. (I did away with the thin plate and fitted the new horn to the main bracket. I needed to use a long M8 bolt and three nuts which I used as shown in the photo. This allowed the thing to be orientated and secured properly.)

The PIAA horns were fitted on the thin tin plate in the exact same location as the original horns using a thin M8 bolt.

My method of fitting the new horns was as follows:

Jacked up van with drivers side front wheel removed.

Removed push fit arch fixing with a trim tool.
Remove all 7x T25 screws as follows-
3 x Bottom front of arch liner
2 x Front of arch liner.
1 x Centre's top of arch liner.
1 x arch in front of suspension.

Pull liner back to reveal old horn.

Remove old horn using a 13 mm spanner.

Cut the wiring as close to the OEM plug as possible.

If wanting to fit new horn to the main bracket and not the thin plate, use a T50 to remove the thin plate which will allow you to use the main bracket.

Crimp horn connections and fit new horn, making heat shrinks with hot air gun.(Brown is neg on OEM wiring)

Put everything back together and refitted wheel and enjoy not having a horn like Noddy!

View attachment 179791

I didn't use a relay or additional power supply and am happy that the OEM 2.5 sq mm cable is fine for any horn up to 20 amps or so.

Hope this all makes sense.
Hi, thanks for that, most informative. If I could just ask a couple of questions before I press the go button. Do you have any pictures of the PIAA twin set up and would you think there was any benefit from having the 500 and 600 for a bit more. TIA.F8E9495F-FD1B-4EC0-BE59-D004D793DFE6.png

Nope. I have no pics. I was all "horned out" as the rain was coming on the day i fitted them, but they were easy peasy to fit.
500 and 600hz may be better, but I was happy with what I have. (I still like the low frequency train blast from my cheapo horn in my work van..... makes me smile!)
The PIAA horn I fitted sound fine. I would say they sound like my old Landrover Disco 4. (Which I loved because it had bo110cks..... It did everything and then flexed its muscles after it had been abused! I drove that thing through rivers, towed 3.5 ton boats up some very dodgy slipways, towed good size boats 1000's of miles and even towed our family caravan down footpaths [twin axle caravan.....Damn you JLR for a truly comical satnav!)........ I'd have another Disco if JLR hadn't lost the plot, but here we are with a T6.1 with a horn like Noddy!......... Sorry, I lost the thread a little...... 400-500 hz PIAA horn is great!

Nope. I have no pics. I was all "horned out" as the rain was coming on the day i fitted them, but they were easy peasy to fit.
500 and 600hz may be better, but I was happy with what I have. (I still like the low frequency train blast from my cheapo horn in my work van..... makes me smile!)
The PIAA horn I fitted sound fine. I would say they sound like my old Landrover Disco 4. (Which I loved because it had bo110cks..... It did everything and then flexed its muscles after it had been abused! I drove that thing through rivers, towed 3.5 ton boats up some very dodgy slipways, towed good size boats 1000's of miles and even towed our family caravan down footpaths [twin axle caravan.....Damn you JLR for a truly comical satnav!)........ I'd have another Disco if JLR hadn't lost the plot, but here we are with a T6.1 with a horn like Noddy!......... Sorry, I lost the thread a little...... 400-500 hz PIAA horn is great!
Thanks for that. Sounds like I poked the HORNets nest there. We all have a previous best. One last thing is how complicated was the wiring. Did you get an additional conversion loom or is there some other guidance you could throw my way. Cheers

The new horns arrived yesterday so decided there was no time like the present. Today was the day. Fairly simple job, a lot easier with the wheel off. I went for the PIAA 500 & 600. Got them through a shop on ebay which was £10 cheaper than Amazon. Happy with the upgraded sound. Might just keep using them to upset people.

B06D2915-5254-42FD-962A-CF1D8B34D9C2.jpeg

1643C67A-D8F8-4630-8D7A-5449679DF2BB.jpeg

159881A8-CA42-436C-8C82-ADA624F8CC16.jpeg

1976F183-0518-4866-BB1F-3AB4E5C5A745.jpeg
Snap ! Put the new horns on the new California !
Removed front bumper as changed to gloss black from bits and installing Lazer lamps.
Long a$$ day. 8 hours from start to finish

A lady pulled out in front of us yesterday and I pressed the horn for the first time :eek:

Today I have ordered 500/600 PIAAs :D

Last edited:
A lady pulled out in front of us yesterday and I pressed the horn for the first time :eek:

Today I have ordered 500/600 PIAAs :D
With the standard VW horn unit fitted, I find it more effective to knock on the inside of the front screen. Come Spring time and some milder, drier weather(I have to work outdoors on my driveway), I have every intention of fitting a new compact air horn.

With the standard VW horn unit fitted, I find it more effective to knock on the inside of the front screen. Come Spring time and some milder, drier weather(I have to work outdoors on my driveway), I have every intention of fitting a new compact air horn.
Or shout and say excuse me. Lol.
Yep, get some alternative fitted that’s more becoming of a 3 tonne beast :cool:

It's taken me all day but it sounds like a big van now and not a pedal car. Bearing in mind that mine is a 2023 model and I have already found a few new wrinkles so I don't know if anything has changed since the OPs original posts but;

I expected the under tray to come off but it is part of the behind the bumper assembly and doesn't so the access is through the bottom of the front inner wing.

There isn't enough room to get a spline key into the socket bolt so small moles are required.

Cut and crimp the wires and then extra support with some cloth tape.

There was no way that the horns were going in on the flat even if I could have got the bolt in. The metal tangs are wider than the bracket guides and in any case they won't fit without fouling wheel arch cover. This may be a product of the plastic behind the bumper construction that houses the fog lights. So a small bracket was called for which also has the benefit of mounting the horns vertically so they will drain if they get soaked.

IMG_6587.jpeg IMG_6589.jpeg IMG_6591.jpeg

And then they sound sooo much better. It almost makes me want to drive back to Aberfeldy and see if I can find the lady who pulled out again :D

Last edited:
Hi, have you had any problems with your horns. Fitted mine back in December as per an earlier post on here. Went to use them a few weeks ago as a warning as someone was backing out without looking and the noise was worse than original. On close inspection the 500 wasn’t working at all and the 600 wasn’t great. Fast forward to me returning them to the supplier they are saying they shouldn’t be mounted like you and I have/had them as water will sit in the top and ingress. I’m awaiting a response from the manufacturer when they have spoken with them.? Thanks.

Back