T6.1 Highline rear view mirror

Boundy

Hi Guys,

I'd really like to get rid of my rear view mirror from my full bulk, windowless panel van, it's a bit of a distraction and is pointless.

I read a few threads that mention that the light sensor on the back is used for auto headlights and HBA on the T6 but I'm not sure is this is the case on the T6.1. I looked at the live data of the light sensor using OBDeleven and the lux value didn't change when covering the sensor on the mirror but did when covering the senor in the mirror pod, through the windscreen. This leads me to believe that all the sensor in the mirror does is measure the ambient light level for the auto dipping function on the mirror.

Can anyone offer any other input?

Has anyone else removed their mirror yet, obviously leaving the pod mounted to the windscreen.

I've had a bash at pulling off the trim thats attached to the windscreen but didn't want force it and possibly break, there must be a specific way of getting it off.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I'd really like to get rid of my rear view mirror from my full bulk, windowless panel van, it's a bit of a distraction and is pointless.

I read a few threads that mention that the light sensor on the back is used for auto headlights and HBA on the T6 but I'm not sure is this is the case on the T6.1. I looked at the live data of the light sensor using OBDeleven and the lux value didn't change when covering the sensor on the mirror but did when covering the senor in the mirror pod, through the windscreen. This leads me to believe that all the sensor in the mirror does is measure the ambient light level for the auto dipping function on the mirror.

Can anyone offer any other input?

Has anyone else removed their mirror yet, obviously leaving the pod mounted to the windscreen.

I've had a bash at pulling off the trim thats attached to the windscreen but didn't want force it and possibly break, there must be a specific way of getting it off.

Cheers
A scan/log would be always be helpful to identify the exact module.
Meanwhile, I'd expect to find a similar measurement channel as on other MQB platforms - perhaps even the same: IDE04123 High Beam: reason for shut-off. In the channel all the inputs of the related sensors are reflected (just separate bits for each one). I would expect to see change there when each of the sensors are illuminated/blanked.

I think you’ll find that, if your van has clear sight to a rear window using the rear view mirror, then it’s a legal requirement to have one. If your van has a bulkhead or solid rear door then you can remove it.

A scan/log would be always be helpful to identify the exact module.
Meanwhile, I'd expect to find a similar measurement channel as on other MQB platforms - perhaps even the same: IDE04123 High Beam: reason for shut-off. In the channel all the inputs of the related sensors are reflected (just separate bits for each one). I would expect to see change there when each of the sensors are illuminated/blanked.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, as you are no doubt aware, there is limited info about for this platform at the moment, I think I will disconnect it and run a scan and see what faults pop up. Any tips on removing it itself?

Any tips on removing it itself?
Perhaps here --->

Thanks, got it off.

Remove plastic trim parts, it's in 3 sections, top but first and work down.

Unplug mirror and rotate base counter clockwise and remove.

Split mirror case apart and remove internal screws and separate the ball from the mirror.

Refit ball bracket and refit trim part, done.

There are unused pins on the loom and pcb I suspect these will be used if you have HBA but I don't so they remain unused.

No faults have appeared since being unplugged, so I suspect on a van that doesn't have HBA the sensor in the mirror is passive and self contained.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks, got it off.

Remove plastic trim parts, it's in 3 sections, top but first and work down.

Unplug mirror and rotate base counter clockwise and remove.

Split mirror case apart and remove internal screws and separate the ball from the mirror.

Refit ball bracket and refit trim part, done.

There are unused pins on the loom and pcb I suspect these will be used if you have HBA but I don't so they remain unused.

No faults have appeared since being unplugged, so I suspect on a van that doesn't have HBA the sensor in the mirror is passive and self contained.
I’d like to remove my mirror too. My van is a PV and it’s pointless, we’re you left with a bracket with a hole in it or does it look ok removed?

I've left with just black metal arm sticking out from the trim with the ball on the end, looks OK, far less annoying than the mirror

I know this is an old thread so my apologies but is there a blanking plate available anywhere? I have taken the mirror off and the arm. I simply want to put a plate over the rain sensor/mirror mount. Any one done this?

Back