T6.1 Fuel Gauge Not Showing As Full

DubbedOut

Twice now we have filled our T6.1 up and both times left it until the diesel pump clicked off. When I jumped in I expected to see the gauge reading full, but it's always showing one black line off of the top one.

Is this normal or is there something I need to have looked at?
Do you think the diesel is there and the gauge is not showing it or is the gauge correct and the pump has clicked off too soon?

No that's not right.

Something wrong there.

Is say try a battery off reset to see if the sensor will re calibrate.

But assuming you in warrenty. I'd just call VW assist...and say the fuel gauge doesn't work, so you can't drive it for safety reasons.

They will come to you and sort it or book you into a dealer..

Keep us posted.

If you want to try a reset first.... See below.

Thank you. It's booked in to VW for something else (auto lights error message). I'll ask them to take a look at that at the same time. Thank you.

my last fill from Shell was at red line empty the pump only gave me £98.00 worth and the pump wouldn't give me any more i normally get about £120 in at that low my fuel meter started dropping quicker than ever so it didn't fill my tank to capacity previously i got 500 miles from full tank looks like im getting 400 this time round

if that helps

my last fill from Shell was at red line empty the pump only gave me £98.00 worth and the pump wouldn't give me any more i normally get about £120 in at that low my fuel meter started dropping quicker than ever so it didn't fill my tank to capacity previously i got 500 miles from full tank looks like im getting 400 this time round

if that helps
Thats more likely to be a credit limit policy by the service station - £99 is usual. I think they are even changing the rules to something like “take payment before fuelling and credit the balance”

Reactions: DXX
Hi @JOG yes i thought that would be a limit or set for a bank holiday was Friday i ll do a top up before running that low i lift the nozzle to get that little bit more in i like a full tank ( allowing for expansion of course )

but 70 ltr weighs 70 KG ish = 150 lb = 10 stone a lot to lug around everywhere

Hi @JOG yes i thought that would be a limit or set for a bank holiday was Friday i ll do a top up before running that low i lift the nozzle to get that little bit more in i like a full tank ( allowing for expansion of course )

Ha ha ha - in my case the extra weight isn’t in the fuel tank, but the driver’s seat!!!

Not quite as bad as 500Kg of EV batteries though.
70L of EN590 is approx 57Kg.

Mine will just about show full but will start moving down very quickly, not like alot of cars where it will take a while to use whatever is in the filler neck before the gauge moves

Similar issue perhaps… Just got into a courtesy T6.1 with 60 miles of range and low fuel warning.
Drive 20 miles, put in £10 (6 and a bit litres). Started the engine and still says 40miles of range, which is precisely what it said before I filled up!

Caravelle 66 plate.
Fuel gauge shows full all the time. Anyone any ideas? I'm having to keep topped up for fear of running out of fuel.
Problem started after spending 3 hours on a ferry (parked on quite an incline). Had key turned for 20 mins but no ignition while waiting to disembark. Fuel guage was showing accurate reading then digital display said refuel and needle went to full.
Headscratcher!

did you ever find out what the issue was, we have a 2021 and it also doesn’t read full on fuel gauge, even though the pump clicks off, tried multiple times, different garages, could it be it’s a actuality an 80 litre tank and fuel tank gauge is set at 70 litres, so when you pay extra for an 80 litre tank option, VW just adjust the height of gauge, not change tank...
my range reads about 430 when I fill up, I’m getting around 33 mpg 2021 swb 4m kombi with a pop top and General grabber AT3 tyres.

I’m sure i have seen a TPI on the VW system regards incorrect fuel readings, will have a dig and see if I can find it later

It might be worth checking to see if there is an outstanding recall.

When I took the Tiguan in for its first service, they told me there was a recall to check the fuel level sender, but they couldn't check mine as it was virtually full of diesel. It needs to be below 3/4 full apparently. I've not taken it back in as I don't like leaving it with the dealers and it seems to work perfectly well anyway.

Given there is a recall for a 2021 Tig, there may be on other models too.

It might be worth checking to see if there is an outstanding recall.

When I took the Tiguan in for its first service, they told me there was a recall to check the fuel level sender, but they couldn't check mine as it was virtually full of diesel. It needs to be below 3/4 full apparently. I've not taken it back in as I don't like leaving it with the dealers and it seems to work perfectly well anyway.

Given there is a recall for a 2021 Tig, there may be on other models too.
Ok thanks I’ll have a search tonight

I’m sure i have seen a TPI on the VW system regards incorrect fuel readings, will have a dig and see if I can find it later
Did you manage to dig this out?. Mines the same, you fill it up to max and as soon as you drive off it starts dropping like the original pic. I know it's meant to go down haha. Only ever managed to get 62l in even with no range.

Yes i did find it and basically it was incorrect software setting from the factory regards 70/80l tanks, this would cause the fuel gauge to never show full

Back