T6.1 Flooring & Insulation

Mr T.

Hi all.. my first post!... you've probably heard it before..

I've got my new T6.1 Kombi - loving it! - but have a couple of questions.

It came with the padded rubber floor in the back, but I want to fit some snazzy lino floor - do I need to rip it out and start again?

Also a question on insulaton.. I've seen people using both a self adhesive foam sheet and also rolls of white fluffy stuff... is using both necessary?

Cheers!

welcome to T6F . . .

have a quick look over here:

INTERIOR:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
Come join the VIP club - VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

Kombi floor - yes, take it out and sell it. Replace with 12mm Ply and Altro or whatever lino. Google ply lining VW floor - some glue, some screw, some glue then screw. Most insulate below ply, but many pro conversion firms don't. My personal view on lining - you don't need more than 50% coverage of the heavy, dense sound deadening. Follow it with stick on silver backed foamy stuff, then fill voids behind panels with the white fluffy stuff.

welcome to T6F . . .

have a quick look over here:

INTERIOR:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
Come join the VIP club - VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
Thank you!

I've seen that video on the insulation.. my question is, do I really need all those layers? I'm sure it does a good job but I do have some form of budget to work to!

i.e. would the sort of stuff here in the link below be good enough on its own to offer enough insulation for UK autumn or early spring?

1598300511015.png

im no expert on this . . .

but i believe its to do with temperature differentials and condensation inside the van . .

so if its cold outside, there is a large temp change either side of that silver stuff. . . . . which will cause condensation inside the van.

i was under the impression the large volume of fluffy stuff was to defuse the temperature differential to stop that happening . . .

Que expert to put me right . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The dense 'Silentcoat' type sound insulation is great at stopping the large thin metal panels vibrating. You'll see when you start there is something similar already there - dark grey sections, stuck on. The foam you link looks fine, and then a roll of Dacron fluffy stuff for extra warmth/cool in summer is cheap from somewhere like Harrisons. Some of the how to guides and videos are understandably aiming for the best results, but we don't all want to spend soo much. For info I recently swapped out my Kombi rubber floor, for plywood and Altro/lino, with 3mm foam insulation. It was noticeably noisier in the back - echoey type humming. Once I'd bolted in a heavy RIB rock and roll bed seat though, it's now quieter than it was with the rubber mat I reckon. I used no Silentcoat type sound deadening on the floor.

Cheers for the advice everyone.. I'll go for the black sticky stuff and the white fluffy stuff.. I'll also strip out the rubber floor and sell it to pay for the plywood and lino.

Is 10m2 of each a reasonable amount to cover everything I need to insulation-wise - or is that not enough?

Cheers for the advice everyone.. I'll go for the black sticky stuff and the white fluffy stuff.. I'll also strip out the rubber floor and sell it to pay for the plywood and lino.

Is 10m2 of each a reasonable amount to cover everything I need to insulation-wise - or is that not enough?
Mine is an SWB kombi with 1 sliding door and a tailgate style rear door by the way!

im no expert on this . . .

but i believe its to do with temperature differentials and condensation inside the van . .

so if its cold outside, there is a large temp change either side of that silver stuff. . . . . which will cause condensation inside the van.

i was under the impression the large volume of fluffy stuff was to defuse the temperature differential to stop that happening . . .

Que expert to put me right . . . . . . . . . . . . .
sounds right to me, I used to work in ventilation so I'm well versed in the needs for insulating pipes - just not campervans! (in fact I was tempted to use duct-wrap to line the van but shied away from the fibreglass)

Back