T6.1 factory split-charge options

DarrylDunn

T6 Pro
I am in the process of orderi a new T6.1.

weighing up cost of having a factory split charge fitted or going down the aftermarket route.

after people’s experiences and advice please. Not ensurely sure what you get with the factory option.

You get a meagre 75ah battery and a split charge relay. I’ve replaced everything except the wire from the ebox to under the seat and the rubber battery cover.

For T6.1 there are actually three options available.
1598717288262.png

I don't think a 75Ah battery is enough really, and I wouldn't want it under the passenger seat.

We got a 75ah AGM factory leisure battery, and 4 years on, we’re still using it. When it dies, I’ll probably stick in a bigger one but it’s been fine over many multi-week trips with a lot of wild camping. We did add a DC-DC charger and solar panel though. The engine-run signal provided for the factory relay is useful as it’s hard to get otherwise, you have to make do with an ignition wire.

I am in the process of orderi a new T6.1.

weighing up cost of having a factory split charge fitted or going down the aftermarket route.

after people’s experiences and advice please. Not ensurely sure what you get with the factory option.
don't know over there. but here in Australia when you order 2nd battery, you receive 75EFB+ starter battery and a 110ah AGM 2nd battery. I have had mine now for nearly 3 years and it has preformed exactly as needed. And YES..the 2nd battery does get fully charged when running (over here at least) . otherwise it would not be showing 12.8-9v as I write.
Good luck with your purchase..enjoy it.

Reactions: mmi
You get a meagre 75ah battery and a split charge relay. I’ve replaced everything except the wire from the ebox to under the seat and the rubber battery cover.
Hi Deaky
I have the standard 10mm red lead going into my passenger footwell.
I would like to install a 2nd battery to run an inverter off and possibly an amp. The van is going to be used as a day van, so not too concerned about running electrics over night. The majority of kit will be used when the engine is running.
for the above reasons, I would think the “basic” offering from VW would be suffice - I don’t need the 2nd battery to be above 80%.
As you have replaced the majority of factory kit, do you have any part numbers so that I can purchase the original kit? Also, do you know how I prevent current from being drawn from the starter battery as I don’t want to blow the 50 amp fuse under the battery if I use over 600 watts (50x12v).

cheers
Matt

If your going to be using the inverter while the engine is running then the factory battery separation relay is not for you. You’d need to fit a dc-dc charger like the CTEK, redarc or victron etc to prevent too many amps being drawn done the 10mm cable. This will also mean that the alternator won’t be supplying many amps whole the inverter is on.

Ok, think I understand.
Yes I was concerned in overloading the 10mm cable. The other option (I think) would be to run a new cable direct to the starter battery (4 gauge maybe) for the inverter. If I install an amp, I could wire direct too? Maybe a 2nd battery is pointless in my situation? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Back