T6.1 engine bay cable routing

ojf10000

VIP Member
Morning.
Apologies if this has been asked but tried searching and couldnt find what I was looking for.
I’m adding a split charge system and need to get a cable to the engine bay. I’ve seen a vid on a T6 which seems to show an unused grommet under the glove box/next to the starter battery but unless I’m being blind I cant find it on my T6.1. There is a grommet but it appears to be a pipe/duct outlet that connects to something under the glove box, pic attached. Thanks

FD068FE6-5174-4F3D-BAD5-2C033CB12EFE.jpeg

6ECA323C-28EF-49D2-8B8D-81B7283C8BEF.jpeg

Alternatively is routing the cable under the van a bad idea? I’m putting the battery and b2b charger in the back of a panel van so wondering if i could just go straight underneath. Could protect the cable in copex (flexible conduit). Thanks

Morning.
Apologies if this has been asked but tried searching and couldnt find what I was looking for.
I’m adding a split charge system and need to get a cable to the engine bay. I’ve seen a vid on a T6 which seems to show an unused grommet under the glove box/next to the starter battery but unless I’m being blind I cant find it on my T6.1. There is a grommet but it appears to be a pipe/duct outlet that connects to something under the glove box, pic attached. Thanks

View attachment 112199
In the first pic you can see a red cable top right. There is a metal panel behind this some wires go through a big rubber grommet in this panel and behind it is the top of the suspension turret, there is an empty grommet behind that.

In the first pic you can see a red cable top right. There is a metal panel behind this some wires go through a big rubber grommet in this panel and behind it is the top of the suspension turret, there is an empty grommet behind that.
Thanks a lot

Well, been a long day, and probable the most stressful so far.

In preparation to cut out the bulkhead brackets took most of the trim out first thing this morning.

View attachment 35044

Then sheeted up as much as I could.

View attachment 35045

Then cut out as much as I could with an angle grinder. Had to walk to get some more discs as I stood on my last cutting disc and broke it.
The the most stressful bit was over and I cut/ground out the brackets. Cleaned the area with meths and then applied some Hammerite.

View attachment 35046

Next, whilst both seats were out and some of the carpet up I decided to have another go at the Arctic cable for the mains hookup.
Wow it was hard getting at that grommet, then even harder getting the thing back in the hole.

View attachment 35047

And emerging under the bonnet.

View attachment 35048

Then started to put the van back together, and tidy up all the stuff scattered over the driveway. Temperature was really starting to fall and I was getting cold as I finally got to this point.
All that hard work, effort and stress and the van doesn't really look any different.

View attachment 35049

Ah well, at least the bit I have been procrastinating about is over. Decisions to make over the ply lining/floor insulation and windows to make now.

Pics of alternative route in this quote ^^

Back