T6.1 Delivery Update

Steve Hales

T6 Guru
Ordered my new T6.1 at the beginning of January (10th I believe) and it was built the week before the VW factory closure. Had a update last week saying it was at the uk port and today I’ve had another update saying it’s still there. I suspected this would be the case due to the Coronavirus situation.
Probably a blessing in disguise as I’m self employed and work is on hold for the foreseeable future, hopefully things start getting back to normal before to long and the van gets delivered and work picks up.

Ordered a 199 dsg panel van with LEDs, park assist and a few other bits in Starlight blue by the way.

Nice to hear they got it over.

I ordered mine the same week as you, mine was due to be built last week! No idea how long it'll be now, I think they are totally shut down for a while.

My Diary has the week of the 13th for pick up... So that's not going to happen. My wife's medical condition means we are holed up for at least 12 weeks so I'm definitely not in a rush if the van makes it out of the port to the Dealer. Ideally, It will be as long as possible.. I'm self-employed in the commercials/film industry and there is zero work.. Also When does new reg swap over ? end of June? I guess wait and see.

Ordered my new T6.1 at the beginning of January (10th I believe) and it was built the week before the VW factory closure. Had a update last week saying it was at the uk port and today I’ve had another update saying it’s still there. I suspected this would be the case due to the Coronavirus situation.
Probably a blessing in disguise as I’m self employed and work is on hold for the foreseeable future, hopefully things start getting back to normal before to long and the van gets delivered and work picks up.

Ordered a 199 dsg panel van with LEDs, park assist and a few other bits in Starlight blue by the way.

Ordered mine 25th February was week 16 unconfirmed build date but that'll obviously be delayed.

I read that they are trying to start building again from the 9th of April hopefully that's true.

I'm self employed (carpenter) so work is pretty much impossible right now.

Just got off the blower with Cordwallis in Heathrow.. So my van is sitting in Sheerness port, but nothing is being moved for the foreseeable furture. I was told that they are fine to hold the van till after August so registering in the second half of the reg year. He said the 6 month extension may even go longer ... to be seen.. I did ask about VW finance and he said that they will be helping people who are concerned.. He said there a lot of people enquiring regards to this.
So pressure off and its good that I don't have to worry about having to make a decision / pay anything till after the summer.

Just got off the blower with Cordwallis in Heathrow.. So my van is sitting in Sheerness port, but nothing is being moved for the foreseeable furture. I was told that they are fine to hold the van till after August so registering in the second half of the reg year. He said the 6 month extension may even go longer ... to be seen.. I did ask about VW finance and he said that they will be helping people who are concerned.. He said there a lot of people enquiring regards to this.
So pressure off and its good that I don't have to worry about having to make a decision / pay anything till after the summer.

Same place I ordered mine from, who have you been dealing with there ? I've not called them as mine isn't even at the build stage yet. Surprised they haven't sent out emails or anything to let everyone know what's going on. I've had to find out everything from here and the VW chat.

Just got off the blower with Cordwallis in Heathrow

I was going to ask how you'd spoken to sales, because my dealership has closed down during all this, but just looked on their website and it looks like the sales team are working from home, poor sods.

I did ask about VW finance and he said that they will be helping people who are concerned.. He said there a lot of people enquiring regards to this.

Volkswagen Finance worth a read for the current reality, although this might not effect yourself if you haven't actually got your van yet, which is lucky.

I just phoned the main dealership number ... 0208 582 6000.. got transferred to some chap at his home. But he could access his system to tell me what where when etc.

I just phoned the main dealership number ... 0208 582 6000.. got transferred to some chap at his home. But he could access his system to tell me what where when etc.

Sorry just wondered if we had the same salesman (Mark)

Sent you a PM awhile back I too work in films/TV set building.

Sorry just wondered if we had the same salesman (Mark)

Sent you a PM a while back I too work in films/TV set building.

Hi Chippy... I guess it's totally quiet at your end too?. I hope you've got some work outside the set building world... Chap I'm dealing with is called Robin.
All the best Simon.

Hi Chippy... I guess it's totally quiet at your end too?. I hope you've got some work outside the set building world... Chap I'm dealing with is called Robin.
All the best Simon.

Yeah I met Robin the south African guy, he was dealing with my mate also buying one but he didn't want one until the end of the year anyway.

Luckily I'm pretty new to it all so have work outside I've always done.

Nice to hear they got it over.

I ordered mine the same week as you, mine was due to be built last week! No idea how long it'll be now, I think they are totally shut down for a while.
I ordered a LWB T6.1 on the 17th December & was told end of March / April , been chasing it up all week & was told no update whatsoever & probably not even been started yet & was offered my deposit back I contacted another dealer & they said if you ordered a vehicle today you wouldn’t see it for 18+ months & also after December there would be a £6K additional import tax , im now getting concerned & wondering whether to sa k it off a get something else

@Billyboy69 I’d say the first part could well be true, but 18months for a new order doesnt sound right at all.

Yes new orders are taking longer and many placed now are being told Oct-Dec. But it all comes down to dealer allocations of factory slots. Some have unused factory slots, others don’t. So the one who quoted you 18 months has probably oversold their allocations and doesn’t have any in sight for some time. Sounds crazy but it’s true.

Well worth a few more calls as there are definitely dealers out there with allocation if you want to start again. And depending on how flexible you want to be, you may also find a stock order in the system that will arrive very quickly. My initial order from Sept through a fleet supplier got cancelled so I had to start again. Ordered again on 1st Feb with a VW dealer directly, hijacked a stock order the dealer already had a build date for, and it arrived 2 weeks ago. So it can be done with some ringing around.

But I’d start by asking your current dealer which month build allocation they sold you for your current order. They should be able to tell you this. If they can’t, they have probably oversold and took your order without factory allocation.

You could also try VWVC online chat and ask them what status your order is at present. If it’s not even been accepted by the factory yet, may be time to start again. But if the order has been accepted by the factory, they may be able to tell you if it has an unconfirmed build date yet. I found them slightly behind the curve with info compared to the dealer, but as you aren’t getting much from the dealer, it’s worth a try.

Ozi , thanks for the info my friend yes it’s all making sense to be honest with what your saying , I did a factory order through a company called Van zone , added a load of extras on as it was quite cheap compared to my local dealer , however your probably right I’m thinking the local dealer is just VW so will probably have more buying / order power over another company who sells general vans ie VW , vauxhall , Ford etc. When I spoke to Van zone they were trying their best to return my deposit saying they can’t confirm nothing & didn’t want to keep me hanging about waiting also I’m thinking the prices have risen quite a bit since I ordered in December & maybe they don’t want to honour the price as they can get a lot more money off someone else once it arrives .

Aha, there’s the problem then. Basically VW have cut the flow to 3rd party suppliers. Didn’t use Vanzone myself, but others on here did and have had to reorder like I did

I ended up ordering though a VWVC Dealership as they seem to match any third party quotes I had to compare...

Ozi , thanks for the info my friend yes it’s all making sense to be honest with what your saying , I did a factory order through a company called Van zone , added a load of extras on as it was quite cheap compared to my local dealer , however your probably right I’m thinking the local dealer is just VW so will probably have more buying / order power over another company who sells general vans ie VW , vauxhall , Ford etc. When I spoke to Van zone they were trying their best to return my deposit saying they can’t confirm nothing & didn’t want to keep me hanging about waiting also I’m thinking the prices have risen quite a bit since I ordered in December & maybe they don’t want to honour the price as they can get a lot more money off someone else once it arrives .
The extra £6k import tax I have not heard before. Could be they have lost their discount supplier and have told you a fib. Not sure but not heard the extra duty. Yes. If you have an order from last year with a dealer I think they do want you to cancel. You only offer to cancel as a salesman if that’s to your advantage. They cancel sell your van for 10% more when it arrives.

I ordered with Vanzone in August last year and by the end of Jan I was tearing my hair out. They had no clue when I could expect my van so I had my deposit back and ordered via Autoebid on 6th Feb. Still no details of my vans progress though. It has been accepted by the factory but I'm not sure that means much...

Back