Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chippy1970

Carpenter
T6 Guru
Just trying to get an idea of how many people have the same problem as me with their new van.

Theres already a few threads running but basically when I connect my android phone to the usb socket on the van and use app connect the following happens. Google maps runs and has sound but if you then click on any other app there is no sound whatsoever. Also the sound cannot be controlled by the steering wheel buttons.

I've been told by VW customer care to ask next time the vans in for a service, if there's a software update. So in two years time there might be a fix. Obviously I'm not happy with this.

Anyone else got anywhere with theirs or anyone have any advice on what to do next. I keep hearing the radio ad for the new T6.1 with "app connect" lol what a joke.

Just trying to get an idea of how many people have the same problem as me with their new van.

Theres already a few threads running but basically when I connect my android phone to the usb socket on the van and use app connect the following happens. Google maps runs and has sound but if you then click on any other app there is no sound whatsoever. Also the sound cannot be controlled by the steering wheel buttons.

I've been told by VW customer care to ask next time the vans in for a service, if there's a software update. So in two years time there might be a fix. Obviously I'm not happy with this.

Anyone else got anywhere with theirs or anyone have any advice on what to do next. I keep hearing the radio ad for the new T6.1 with "app connect" lol what a joke.
Mine did this. Mentioned it to the dealer when they were fitting my roof bars and they said they would sort it as its a common coding issue. Sure enough they did it, all works fine now.

Mine did this. Mentioned it to the dealer when they were fitting my roof bars and they said they would sort it as its a common coding issue. Sure enough they did it, all works fine now.

My dealer checked mine and apparently I have the latest software so there's nothing they can do according to them. Then VW rang me to repeat the same thing and say when I get my next service (2 years time) I might get an update then. Terrible service really for a brand new high end van.

VW customer services emailed me today to basically say there's nothing they can do and I'll just have to wait for when they can be bothered to update their software and fix this issue.

I mentioned that other customers with different dealers had theirs fixed. They said I'm welcome to go to another dealer yeah coz I'm gonna drive up north hundreds of miles in my time to fix their problem.

Not getting anywhere with this.

I have issues with sound cutting out when playing Spotify via Apple Car play, particularly accurate if Google maps is in navigation mode.

I have found Apple car play to be buggy as hell in the past in other vehicles so rather used to it but interested to hear others having issues with coding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly that only fixes the iPhone version. Android is a software issue on the van which VW don't seem to be doing anything about

Thanks @Alexcd amazing. I’ve tried to find these online but can only find sketchy looking ebay listings against those SKU numbers. Did you manage to source online or is it a dealership trip needed?

I pass the links and serial numbers of the cables that say they are premium and suitable for infotaitment equipment if anyone is interested, with their oem numbers (original equipment manufacturer)

- USB-C to LIGHTNING OEM 000051446AC
- USB-C to MICRO-USB OEM 000051446AB
- USB-C to USB-C OEM 000051446AD

- USB-A to LIGHTNING OEM 000051446AR
- USB-A to MICRO-USB OEM 000051446R
- USB-A to USB-C OEM 000051446AS
I think VW are just taking the piss, I’ve got a T6.1 with the basic audio and a iPhone 11 and I use an Apple MFI certified usb-c to lightning cable I got from Amazon for around £10. I’ve had no issues what do ever with my phone connection and apple CarPlay.

Hi all,

New to the forum having bought a new T6.1 Space Grey Kombi in August.

Since then I’ve been having issues with CarPlay with my iPhone. Crackling during calls and playing music as well as person on the other end telling me they can hear their own voice echoing significantly enough I’ve had to hang up a few times.

I’ve taken the van to VW twice now and each time they have reported no faults. I’ve noticed today that there isn’t an issue when using straight Bluetooth for a call, only CarPlay.

VW have been helpful tbf and they are looking into it again. Two hire cars later - which I insisted they pay for - and still no solution.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has a fix? I’ve tried new Apple cables, a VW own brand one and even tried someone else’s phone.

Thanks

Guy

I have had the echoing problem before on a car, which was down to volume. I knocked it down a couple of % and it went away. It was a pain as it wasn't quite loud enough to use all the time.

I've got the same issues... I used the give my mate grief for his vw amarok about the echo when i was calling from ym bm,,, well now i've got the van and I getting the same thing.. The music crackle that can occur is not a vw thing but an apple carplay issue lots of moaning online.. I've stuck a few playslist on a the sd card and that works well.. Phonecalls are trickier.. I think the issue is the mic that is in the van... where is it? I did read somehwere about making calls from the head unit and not starting them on the phone... I think so far the best call quality is being called via whatsapp and that way you can answer the call on the headunit so suing the van mic.. Also why isnt there a phone answer / off button the steering wheel? Have I missed soemthing really obvious? I hope you found an answer.. I'll keep trying the options.! Keep us posted..

I haven’t noticed any issues with CarPlay yet (August reg 6.1 as well) and have been quite impressed with how well it works...I know not directly helpful for solving your problem, but at least suggests that the issue is not inherent to CarPlay.

Another thread on here (Faulty AppConnect) suggests using a VW lightning cable rather than Apple and this apparently resolved all problems.

As far as the phone/steering wheel control is concerned, in my T30 Highline (MY2019) the dash display changes when a call comes in and you use the up/down and OK buttons to accept and end the call.

I have the same issue. I’ve swapped leads and even got a Bluetooth car play adapter and still have issues. When I swap to the other usb c port after crackling it goes away for a while. Sounds like interference somewhere. Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the usb c port to investigate? Have a feeling it’s dodgy wiring or ports.

One thing I do have is that if I pull the usb c port out of the dash it has to go back in the other port to be seen. The crackling isnt a wiring issue I'm sure.I think its down to the carplay software. As it can be fine then goes wonky... I thought at first it was my wiring harness coming loose and the idea filled with me with dread that I might have to take the dash out again! Bit of googling howver and it a known apple carplay fault across other car manufacturers.

Back