T6.1 Auxiliary belt snapped, engine seized - 1250 miles!

Johnny666B

Hi T6 Forum,
My 2021 T6.1 done 1000 miles from new to find auxiliary belt squealing and out of line, took it to VW and the mechanic said that don’t look right or sound right, and as you guessed, we have never seen this before. We will book you in for warranty work in 3 weeks, a week later at 1250 mikes the said belt snapped, ripped off my timming belt and seized my engine.
VW said they have never ever seen this before, but just bumped into a lad with a 70 plate and he’s snapped at 500 miles and like me have got to have a new engine. Please check your belts for squealing or out of line. As this happened to me 2 weeks ago and I’m still in a hire van waiting for a new engine at £48k and 1250 miles I wasn’t expecting this, VW are clearly not telling everyone the truth.
Good luck

951D1B92-4295-4DE9-ABE9-C6502173D818.jpeg

F53BFCAA-9B0D-47C9-A1D4-783A63185262.jpeg

The same happened to my van with the previous owner at 20k. After VW fit a new engine under warranty they found the gearbox had also been damaged so replaced that as well.

The same happened to my van with the previous owner at 20k. After VW fit a new engine under warranty they found the gearbox had also been damaged so replaced that as well.
Thanks, what a joke, I have the 199 dsg 4 motion Kombi, is that the same gear box as yours

I have heard of this a few times, aux belt breaks and gets wrapped around the crank pulley, and gets behind the timing belt cover. in 2015 the timing cover was changed to try and prevent this.

@Johnny666B as fed up as I'm sure you are, at least it's a warranty job, I'd hate to pick up the bill.
When I had my cambelt done a few weeks ago I insisted on a new auxiliary belt too, it's a no brainer.

It seems a steel lower timing belt cover not plastic would eliminate this risk.
Or a aux belt crank pulley with an inner flange to throw a broken belt clear.

Reactions: Loz
Back