T6.1 Auto light switch upgrade.

chetwyne

I would like to upgrade the standard manual light switch for the auto light switch on my T6.1 (with start/stop). Is this possible and if so can you recommend supplier and part number.

Hi @chetwyne,
I’ve just changed my switch for 5G0941431BD, which has the auto setting and front fog setting. I expected I’d need an additional plug in light sensor for the auto headlights, but bizarrely it works with nothing additional. However when on auto mode it throws up a bulb failure warning even though everything is working. When you switch to manual headlights the warning goes out. I’m not sure what the issue is and haven’t had chance to play around yet. If anyone on here has any knowledge I’d love to hear. Thanks

@Thehawks do your auto lights come on with the wipers?

I've just fitted an auto light switch to a 2013 Polo. Whilst it has it's own light sensor, it is in no way connected to the cars auto wipers, meaning if it's still bright enough, the lights still need to be turned on manually in the rain.

@dubber36
Mmm, not tested that. I suspect they won’t come on with the wipers. To be honest I was surprised that it had a light sensor..... then disappointed about the warning light!!!
I’ll try it later and report back.

I have the Auto switch in my SE 2012 Passat and the non auto switch in my 17 plate Transporter Shuttle SE.

I noticed that the dash lights brighten up in bright sunshine and then dims under cover, shade, cloudy etc. So I assumed that there must be a sensor in the dash somewhere. In my Passat it's in the rear mirror mounting,

I just changed the Auto switch from the Passat for the T6 and as it's now dark, the auto light switch works. The wife is not pleased as the Passat is in her name ....

I did look at the difference in the pins on the rear as the non auto switch has one less pin, but the lights came on when in auto.

I'll have to test in the daylight but it looks ok so far.

Dave C

I just changed the Auto switch from the Passat for the T6 and as it's now dark, the auto light switch works.

I did look at the difference in the pins on the rear as the non auto switch has one less pin, but the lights came on when in auto.
That's interesting. I'm going to try a proper auto light switch in the Polo. Whilst the cheepo kit I fitted works OK, it doesn't turn them on with the auto wipers if the ambient level light is too high.

I fitted one to my startline t6.1, same error message and the rear fogs don't work, thinking of "modifying the wiring to allow front fogs to be fitted. Anyone got the wiring diagrams for t6 and t6.1 headlamp switch? Surely it can be done?

Thanks for the info, I haven't had chance to read the error messages yet but will post when I can. They clear when I switch to side lights or sip beam.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did this ever get solved for a t6.1 startline? Do you need to fit front fogs for the auto headlights to work without error?

No mate, I fitted front fogs using the travelinlite kit with a separate switch. Too much work unfortunately.

Back