TomLawrence

Afternoon all,

just stuck a new set of 20” rims (staggered 8.5 front, 10 rear) on my T6.1, it’s now rubbing under maximum suspension compression. It’s dropped 70mm on Projekt Sensitiv coilovers. Anyone else had this problem?
Cheers
Tom

Is it rubbing front or back? Inside or outside? What are your tyre sizes?

It’s fairly common to get a rub on the inner arch liner at the front when you get 70mm or so down. That’s usually easily solved with a heat gun to mould the liner back out of the way a bit. On the outside of the arch liner at the front is a screw at about the 12 o’clock position that can be removed enabling you to push the liner behind the locating tab and bend it up out of the way a bit. That’s on the T6 and I’m assuming the same on 6.1.

It’s more common to rub on the inside, but it depends a bit on tyre size and wheel offset.

Hi Chris, thanks a lot for the response, much appreciated. The tyres are 275/40s, stupidly I didn’t ask for the offset when I ordered them. I’ve not had a chance to look in underneath properly as it’s hoofing it down but I thought it was rubbing the outside of the inner liner, with a break in the weather hopefully I’ll be able to look properly

Just had a chance to check, it’s rubbing the outer edge of the inner lining.
Bognor motors... Balls, that’s unfortunate on a new set of wheels, looks like they’ve seen me coming. What size would you recommend?

Whats your wheel offset?

On a t32 we would recommend 265/40 all round
And up to t30 then 275/35

But with your wheel sizes I woukd fit the T32 size

HTH

Just so that folks are not put off 20s

I had 2.75/40/ZR20 106 W XL tyres without any issues- albeit they touched gently on full lock, so I’d turn the steering wheel back 1/2” and all was fine.

MOT’d ok too.
The tyres are fine, just not with that amount of drop or the particular offset that you have.

best of luck

Not to sound like a total moron, but I want to say the offset is 37 front 38 rear, that’s according to my invoice. I got so sucked in to getting wheels I didn’t even give this issue a thought, I guess there’s a lesson in there somewhere. I may have to look at lifting it 20mm in the meantime which isn’t something I thought I’d be saying

Offset is fine, just your tyres are oversize. With the correct size tyre, and unbelievably 10mm makes all the difference, You will have zero issues - maybe a light heat gun on the inner arch on a Full drop.

No one is trying to put anyone off 20’s, just fit the correct tyre and you won’t have to back off full lock.

We fit more 20’s than any other size but only with a 265/40 and 275/35 and with drops up to 80mm.

HTH

Not to sound like a total moron, but I want to say the offset is 37 front 38 rear, that’s according to my invoice. I got so sucked in to getting wheels I didn’t even give this issue a thought, I guess there’s a lesson in there somewhere. I may have to look at lifting it 20mm in the meantime which isn’t something I thought I’d be saying
Hi Tom.. it's worth making a cuppa and sitting down with this site and using the search ( just type in 20”) and there is so much info on what tyres etc.. there's a thread on everything .

You might not have to lift it, try the little mod I described above. Take the screw out from the top outer edge of the liner, push the liner up behind the tab and gently bend the tab up a bit. This might cure the rub for the time being, then once your current tyres wear out you can choose a better size to fit.

I run about 80-85mm down and had to do this mod when running 9” wide 38mm offset fronts with 265/40 tyres.

Thanks all for the responses, it’s really appreciated. I’m going to give the liner mod a try and take it from there. Thanks again for the help. Cheers

Hi Chaps, just had a set of 275/35 fitted and its sorted, no more rubbing. It's just unfortunate that it's cost me a set of tyres to learn that lesson. Thanks again for all the help

Tom

You might not have to lift it, try the little mod I described above. Take the screw out from the top outer edge of the liner, push the liner up behind the tab and gently bend the tab up a bit. This might cure the rub for the time being, then once your current tyres wear out you can choose a better size to fit.

I run about 80-85mm down and had to do this mod when running 9” wide 38mm offset fronts with 265/40 tyres.
This mod saved me from the wrath of the boss! When I hit a bump it would grind. It was the screw! Remove this and push up to trap inner arch and everything’s fine now. May even try and drop another 10mm without telling her...!

This mod saved me from the wrath of the boss! When I hit a bump it would grind. It was the screw! Remove this and push up to trap inner arch and everything’s fine now. May even try and drop another 10mm without telling her...!
Glad it worked for you Rich!

Just so that folks are not put off 20s

I had 2.75/40/ZR20 106 W XL tyres without any issues- albeit they touched gently on full lock, so I’d turn the steering wheel back 1/2” and all was fine.

MOT’d ok too.
The tyres are fine, just not with that amount of drop or the particular offset that you have.

best of luck
Hi @Oldrat, how much drop did you have and what is your offset?

@RichDavies82, just to make it clear, you left the screw out completely and pinched the liner behind the tab jo done.

Back