T5 HPFP gear

Robert Cole

Hi,
Has anyone had a problem with the high pressure fuel pump gear breaking up, it's a T5 late 2013 only done 55000 had cam belt done in January 2018 only done 13,000 since then, I thought that this would be done under the VW warranty as the belt had only done 13,000 and 18 months but apparently they say it's the fuel pump gear breaking up that caused the belt to come off. Was doing 70 on the M4 when it happened but didn't hear any noises from the engine, they are now looking at what other damage it has caused. This is my 5th transporter and done many more miles than 55,000 in the others and not had this problem.

When the timing belt is changed, the HPFP gear is slackened off so that it can be timed correctly on the pins. My initial thought is that this hasn't been tightened correctly when the belt was replaced.

Reactions: DXX
Hadn't thought thought about that but after watching a few you tube vids of the procedure I can see what your saying, do VW warranty the belt or the work for 2 years? Might have a word with trading standards on Monday

Making the assumption it's the same dealership that did the belt change, I'd be having a conversation with them about them about it.

Back