T5.1 to T6.1 facelift

B.different

T6 Pro
Hi all just wondering if any owners on here are T5.1 that have been converted to a T6.1? I'm about to start my conversion but wanted to know what issues others have encountered. Mine is a caravelle so I will be changing the tailgate ect to.

Hi, I am new to this forum so forgive any misdemeanors or any errors. Please help me out if I am wrong

I have owned a very beaten up 400,000 mile T5 Caravelle/Shuttle for a year and love the VW Transporter design. I am converting it into a dog/day van/weekender having honeymooned the exchange 2.5Tdi engine and auto. box. I will uprgrade to T6 Euro 6 when funds and legislation permit!

It’s going to the spray shop next week and I have been sourcing bits for a T6.1 look. I have dents in every panel, including the roof! And the lights are rubbish. Going T6.1 seemed not too expensive, especially as I am going for a ‘Swamper’ look. Having owned Land Rovers in the past, all the bits will be ABS/black plastic basic van spec.

I have looked on ‘You Tube’ and researched widely before committing myself.

I have fitted a T6 tailgate, which requires T6 ‘plastic quarter panels above bumper’ (part number required). The rear bumper I think is a straight T6 swap. T6.1 lamps will require messing with the loom (any advice gratefully received).

I believe the slam panel from a T5.1 is the same as T6 and T6.1 but different on the T5. I will not change the slam panel but will make some brackets to support the headlights.
I have new T6.1 wings (£260) which are different from T6 wings (Repeater detail & Headlights). I have ordered a T6.1 ABS genuine bumper/grill (one piece: £380). The T6.1 Headlights are different to T6 (yet to buy: standard: £460). I am buying a T6 aftermarket bonnet which I believe is the same as the T6.1 ( does anyone have experience of non-genuine bonnets? Decent suppliers/fit etc?)

It seems that if you need fully painted, with LED DRL’s then it could get quite pricey; wings/headlights/wiring/coding/bumper/grill.

I hope this helps.

ABC44211-C6EC-4363-8429-34438EB3B10F.jpeg51515B9F-E1B8-49FD-97E8-356339D11E43.jpegC976E20B-FB1D-46FB-9DD2-25EC3C4CFE18.jpeg

Back