T5.1 Barn Door to T6.1 Tailgate tail-light issues

DanRaistrick

Hello all,

I've just about completed my T5.1 to T6.1 conversion - however i'm having some trouble with the rear side lights and was wondering if anybody has experienced similar?

Everything works apart from the rear side lights - now i did have the rear lights repinned incorrectly on the first attempt (may this have caused a problem?)

I've had an auto electrician come out to sort the tailgate wiring which is all working correctly now using a relay and wiring into the interior back lights rather than back to the BCM.
The auto electrician also took a look at the rear lights and they did appear to all be working when he left (he said he swapped pins around for the fog light and side light) - until i turned the van on and put the full lights back on. Now the rear side lights are back off again and i've got a bulb warning on the dash :mad:.

I'm getting a bit fed up of it all now as nobody in the area seems to want to touch it with wiring diagrams not being available due to going from the T5.1 barn door to T6.1 tailgate.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

HI @DanRaistrick - apologies I cannot help with your issue at all but could I just ask a question reference tail lights.

One of my tail lights on my T5.1 has a crack in the cover and I'm thinking rather than replacing like for like I do an upgrade from the T5.1 rear lights to the T6.1 rear lights. Other than re-pinning is there anything else to be aware of when swapping these over?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I'm not sure whether they would fit, you'd have to ask elsewhere as they may be a different shape? I've changed the whole rear end on mine so can't be sure!

I've since had a whole host of electrical problems with my van and so far come to the conclusion the BCM is goosed! Hopefully everything works once I replace it .

Struggling to find one however as it's the one all the guys who fit cruise control use so they get snapped straight up

HI @DanRaistrick - apologies I cannot help with your issue at all but could I just ask a question reference tail lights.

One of my tail lights on my T5.1 has a crack in the cover and I'm thinking rather than replacing like for like I do an upgrade from the T5.1 rear lights to the T6.1 rear lights. Other than re-pinning is there anything else to be aware of when swapping these over?

Thanks in advance for any help.
@BlayneKinley as @DanRaistrick suggested, they are indeed a different shape - you’ll notice it at the tailgate where it curves around the tail lamp. You may find you’re better off fitting T6.1 barn-door tail lamps.

Hello all,

I've just about completed my T5.1 to T6.1 conversion - however i'm having some trouble with the rear side lights and was wondering if anybody has experienced similar?

Everything works apart from the rear side lights - now i did have the rear lights repinned incorrectly on the first attempt (may this have caused a problem?)

I've had an auto electrician come out to sort the tailgate wiring which is all working correctly now using a relay and wiring into the interior back lights rather than back to the BCM.
The auto electrician also took a look at the rear lights and they did appear to all be working when he left (he said he swapped pins around for the fog light and side light) - until i turned the van on and put the full lights back on. Now the rear side lights are back off again and i've got a bulb warning on the dash :mad:.

I'm getting a bit fed up of it all now as nobody in the area seems to want to touch it with wiring diagrams not being available due to going from the T5.1 barn door to T6.1 tailgate.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
@DanRaistrick can you post a photo or list your tail-lamp pin-out here?

Thanks @Ads_Essex further research online I found a video detailing this. Haven’t looked since but will be on the look out for barn door tail lights from a T6.1 shortly :thumbsup:

Back