T5.1 4motion rear driveshaft removal/wheel bearing replacement

drooke

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I've had a good search around on here and elsewhere but I can't seem to find any info on how to remove a rear driveshaft from my T5.1 4motion to allow for wheel bearing replacement. I thought this would be within my DIY capability so I've bought the new bearing and bearing tool but I'm struggling with this driveshaft.

Any help appreciated otherwise I might have to put it into a garage for replacement.

Cheers,

Dan

Elsawin says remove the outer CV bolt, undo the inner CV screws and the shaft should come off. What's causing the problem?

Okay thanks yeha.

I couldn't see a way to remove the driveshaft and didn't want to commit to undoing the hub nut (single use) without knowing how to get the shaft out. Can't seem to find any info about rear driveshafts anywhere.

I'll have to see if I can find the outer CV bolt you mention. Are the inner CV screws inside the CV boot?

Cheers

I found this photo on flickr. You can see the 12point socket cap heads around the inner CV. I imagine there's enough plunge within the joint to shorten the shaft, pop it out of the drive flange and lower the inner end. Once the outer is undone, it's easy to remove.

Ah I see what you mean by inner and outer now. So the shot you've shown are the inner screws, but for the outer end is it only the nut sitting on the outside of the bearing that holds the shaft in or is there another bolt you're referring to (I couldn't see another one)?

Thanks

Great, thank you very much.

Now I just need to find a good block of free time to tackle it in, don't want to be rushed on my first one!

The outer CV nut torque is 200Nm, the inner CV screws are 30Nm +90deg. and both items are supposed to be replaced. I never bother doing this...

Cheers, I'd found the torque spec for the CV nut and got myself a suitable torque wrench. Because it's a high torque, I wanted to use a new nut for it and only do it once - the bearing came with the new nut.

The inner screws seem okay to reuse to me being lower torque. I had a go undoing one of them tonight to see if they'd be easy to do. Access seems a little limited around the top but hopefully doable.

You just rotate the shaft as you go along. I tend to use a long screwdriver across a couple of the screw heads to lock the cv whilst I loosen a screw.

I tackled this at the weekend and got it replaced.

Driveshaft was actually fairly straightforward but needed your advice @yeha to give me confidence to have a go, so thank you!

ABS sensor wouldn't come out nicely so had to destroy it to get it out, got another on order to replace it with. Should have known after having replaced the one on the other side at the rear.

Other problem I had was knowing when to stop with the new bearing. The clips still looked to protrude a little to me. I ended up over tightening the bearing tool and couldn't release it, broke a couple of tools trying. Had to get a mate to bring a larger breaker bar to get it off, he also checked the bearing was home for me.

Put everything back together and torqued up the hub nut. Test drive was amazing, night and day difference to the noise levels, very happy with the result.

Some photos I took along the way which may be helpful for others in the future.

One other issue I had was trying to release the driveshaft, I got the brakeline caught between the shaft and the shock. I jacked up the subframe(?) to change the angles which allowed me to work the driveshaft free without needing to remove the shock.

PXL_20220409_084203073.jpg

PXL_20220409_084207348.jpg

PXL_20220409_084209931.jpg

PXL_20220409_084824937.jpg

PXL_20220409_084831441.jpg

PXL_20220409_084837244.jpg

PXL_20220409_084841199.jpg

PXL_20220409_085955768.jpg

PXL_20220409_090004337.jpg

PXL_20220409_110237369.jpg

PXL_20220409_110300106.jpg

Thanks for the write up, I need to do mine and was thinking of tackling it

Which bearing removal kit do I need?

Mine is a 2016 T6 4motion but presume it's still the same

Thanks for the write up, I need to do mine and was thinking of tackling it

Which bearing removal kit do I need?

Mine is a 2016 T6 4motion but presume it's still the same
I think it'll be similar for you yes however I think the haldex generation changed on the T6 which may mean it's a bit different. You'd have to research it.

The removal tool I used is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LLHDQT2 but there were several similar ones available.

Hope that it goes well for you.

Back