T5.1 4motion haldex pump replacement

drooke

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've got errors from my haldex pump so I've bought an oil, filter and pump kit to swap all of this for new.

Just had a look under the van and was wondering if anyone has any tips to disconnect the plug for the existing pump?

The wiring goes up over the haldex unit so getting to the plug seems tricky. It's plugged into what looks like a control module that should be removable, is that the best way?

The wiring has clips on it as well that'll need removing, at least one of them is on the topside which could also be problematic.

Cheers

I think the 5.1 has the gen 4 haldex pump. I swapped one of these out on a Yeti and everything you describe sounds exactly the same. To help get access to the cable clips, I lowered the rear diff by loosening off the subframe bolts that hold it in place....probably kept 4 threads in engagement. I think I needed to disconnected the prop shaft too. You could use a trolley jack to get more clearance. For the connection to the module I found it easier to unbolt the module from the side of the diff/haldex unit as access otherwise was really tight and I struggled to see the clip for the connector, let alone push it in. This also gives you the opportunity to clean up the seal too.

The guides would have you believe you can replace the pump without removing the module or lowering the subframe but I'm really not convinced.

One thing I would say though is that when the gen 4 pump failed on the Yeti it gave no error warning lights. It was only by doing a pump run through VCDS that I confirmed it wasn't working (not getting up a snow covered hill was the first hint something wasn't right)

Reactions: mmi
Thanks both.

I'm going to have another go tomorrow morning. I'll try unbolting the module first and then hopefully that's enough room to unclip the pump connector and get it out, hopefully won't have to lower the diff and disconnect the driveshaft!

I've got no dash errors but when scanning with OBDEleven I get a couple of intermittent errors for the pump. It's only had a VW oil service and it's overdue oil now so I think it best to swap the pump and I can keep on top of it from here on in.

Thanks both.

I'm going to have another go tomorrow morning. I'll try unbolting the module first and then hopefully that's enough room to unclip the pump connector and get it out, hopefully won't have to lower the diff and disconnect the driveshaft!

I've got no dash errors but when scanning with OBDEleven I get a couple of intermittent errors for the pump. It's only had a VW oil service and it's overdue oil now so I think it best to swap the pump and I can keep on top of it from here on in.
Hopefully you have more room on the T5.1 than the Yeti. One other thought is that there is a bearing support along the propshaft that can be loosened rather than disconnecting the propshaft........and although disconnecting the propshaft sounds like a big job, the reality is that it only takes a couple of minutes as it's just three fasteners.

The VW oil service unfortunately is exactly that; they don't change the filter or clean the screen on the pump (unless they ignored the VW service instructions and did it properly) so before you get to the second scheduled oil change the pump is toast. My advice on the Haldex gen 4 is to change the filter and clean the screen on the pump when you do the oil changes in the future. There is enough slack on the wiring to the pump to remove it and clean the screen without disconnecting it from the module and it also helps drain the crud out.

Reactions: mmi
I had another go last week and managed to unplug the pump connector from the ECU but couldn't unplug two of the three wiring loom clips from the top of the haldex unit. Just using my camping ramps to lift the van, I didn't have enough room to drop the haldex unit - maybe with someone helping me.

Decided to pop it round to the local garage who could do it on their ramp. All swapped today and driving well, tested the haldex on a layby full of gravel. Only thing they've not done is the software side of it - I believe you can prime the pump and clear previous settings. If there's any advice on doing that with OBDEleven or even if it's necessary that would be helpful.

The old pump gauze is clogged up along with the filter.

PXL_20220524_115909206.jpg
PXL_20220524_115924241.jpg

Back