T32 - your reasons why?

VanBlanc

Life is a Beach so we are back...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Several new members seem to have opted for T32. Its not obvious to me why they need the extra load capacity so whats with it?

I know you get a few extras but then you are getting heavier springing (=harder ride) and an MoT complication. Surely the extras on their own would be a better bet?

Looks like HMRC are on a backhander ;)

Back in 2010 we got away with the VAT on our Vito Dualiner 205.

Presumably there is a significant financial benefit between business van and personal use?

For me it was because I am having it converted into a full camper and I tow a 1500kgs caravan so went for the one that will take the weight.

You can claim the vat back for one.....big +
We did anyway in 2009 on a 5 seat Transit Connect and in 2010 on a Merc Dualiner.

So I presume this ruling is recent although I do recall something similar in 1991 when I looked at a crew cab pick up?

For me it was because I am having it converted into a full camper and I tow a 1500kgs caravan so went for the one that will take the weight.
That makes sense for a private user.

From how i understand it, if you have seats in the rear its classed as a car but if it have more than a 1000kg payload you are pretty safe as it is classed as commercial still . its still a grey area really but the vat man has got strict on it in the last few years from what i hear and read. I dont need the t32 but its worth it having to claim the vat back for me. i have read a couple of story's about companys ordering a fleets of combi vans for the workers and the vat man refusing the claim as the payload was lower than 1000 kg :(

And me
Only paid £400 more and I wanted the 17 inch Wheels and i think they have bigger front discs ? You are correct about the ride but i test drove a t30 and i found the front rolled into roundabouts so they could have heaver rolbars but put a pair of t28 or t30 rear springs in and it should drive ok . I am still looking for a list of spring colour codes if anyone can help.

I forgot to say they come with all weather tyres ( look for the snow flake and mountain on the side wall) these are half way between summer and full winter and have the cuts in them for snow so it could be a good idea to hang on to the wheels and tyres if you fit aftermarket and use them if we get a bad winter or you guys with AWD want to go out in the snow. I am thinking of getting a spare set from eBay and putting Summer tyres on them.

FWIW - I understood it was related to payload and VAT too - around the T30 or T32 mark the payload is quite sensitive to upgrades/options/model choices. For instance, you might be able to get a T30 4 motion with DSG and get over a 1000kg payload. Alternatively, you might be able to get a T32 with 4 motion but choosing DSG would take you below the 1000kg payload. You need to look very carefully a the specs and payloads for your preferred model combination if you intend to reclaim VAT from HMRC.

Last edited:
Back