T28 Broken rear Spring

Doodlebug

Hi folks, Newbie here... Just bought my first van and its a VW Transporter T6 (T28) panel van with just under 75k miles on it.
I'm about to convert it into a camper, and today I've found its got one rear broken spring that needs replacing.

Van rides great, so I just want to know which aftermarket springs to buy to get it through its next MOT please.

The current rear springs DON'T have a constant wire diameter, as they are thin at the ends. But this recommended after-market spring (link below) has constant wire diameter. So is it going to perform the same as I need? I'm not after any lowered springs or anything special for improved van performance etc. I just want the correct type of spring at a fair price to replace the broken one.
I understand that its also best to replace them in pairs, so whatever brand I buy.. I will get a pair fitted.

PS. I have also just had a towbar put on the van, as I may tow a small trailer occasionally up to 750kg towed mass. So will the springs you recommend be ok for that duty too?

Any help much appreciated!
Thank you
:)

The rear springs will have some painted colour bands on them (same each side).
You may need to wipe the springs clean to see the bands.

Tell us what colour bands and how many you have, and you might find someone has some lying around.
Some people can’t give them away.

Pete

THANKS, ...but further advice still requested please...

I'm just thinking now ...Maybe its an idea to uprate my rear springs?, bearing in mind that I've just fitted a towbar, and I will be adding furniture soon into rear of my panel van (as part of its conversion into a campervan). It will just be 2 adults and the dog travelling in it, but I suspect the van will feel the extra weight and strain when laden (being the 102bhp power Highline model). So... Can I upgrade my rear springs on my T6 T28 ? My T28 has the standard steel wheels: 215/65/R16. So I'm not looking for lowering purposes or to get a sporty look, or adjustable height etc. I just want the right rear Springs to best suit the van's intended use as a tow van (only small trailers) and it now being a campervan.

I've just been offered a set of used T30 springs off a 2018 plate T6. I'm told they've covered around 48,000 miles, and they have two white Markings and a green marking.
I just dont know enough about Springs & their rubber mounts to make an informed decision YET... like will they be better suited for my van,...will they fit directly onto my T28 mounts... will they fit without me needing to change shocks etc... How will the level and ride quality change if I am able to use T30 Springs?? .... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Any further thoughts / ideas / help is very much appreciated!:)

My current T28 Springs were the original VW OEM ones, with all yellow dots as markings if that helps...

I'd probably go for uprated aftermarket ones because...
When I bought my 66 plate T30 (18k miles, full camper conversion) it failed its MOT due to a broken rear spring (yellow marking).
Previous owner had it replaced at their expense.
In October this year, another failed MOT due to the other rear spring being cracked. This time around I had VW's All in One Plan which covered the costs althought it took 3 weeks for the new spring to arrive. Mileage this time around was 31k. Van has never been any more than lightly loaded.
Hope this helps

Back