"Swooshing" noise from fuel tank

BigDean

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon all,

I am new to VW, and only 1 week in, so may seem like a daft question to some.....

When I am coming to stop or just manoeuvring slowly, I can hear a swooshing noise, which I think is coming from the fuel tank.

Is this normal? If so, I can learn to live with it, just want to check.

Thanks
Dean

Water in the bottom of the door? Give the door a wave..

We did have a thread a few years ago saying the same, most did not hear it.

Afternoon all,

I am new to VW, and only 1 week in, so may seem like a daft question to some.....

When I am coming to stop or just manoeuvring slowly, I can hear a swooshing noise, which I think is coming from the fuel tank.

Is this normal? If so, I can learn to live with it, just want to check.

Thanks
Dean
Is it a T6.1? Mine was the same when I picked it up new from the garage. I mainly noticed it when the tank was filled over 75%. It was amplified by having no bulkhead between the load bay and cab, and no boarding etc. Since I've had the interior and sound deadening fitted its much better but I can still hear it.

Is it a T6.1? Mine was the same when I picked it up new from the garage. I mainly noticed it when the tank was filled over 75%. It was amplified by having no bulkhead between the load bay and cab, and no boarding etc. Since I've had the interior and sound deadening fitted its much better but I can still hear it.

Yes a T6.1. And full of fuel. It is very sound deadened but didn’t drive it before it was done so can’t compare.

I guess I will give it a bit of time.

Thanks

Plus I also had the hissing mentioned by @Peatey . I was told by VW that this was normal and to be fair it went away after a few weeks.

Yes a T6.1. And full of fuel. It is very sound deadened but didn’t drive it before it was done so can’t compare.

I guess I will give it a bit of time.

Thanks
Sounds exactly the same as mine. I've had my 6.1 14 months so i think I filter it out now !!!

Me too. I’m coming to terms with it ... but I’m not happy about it

This noise can be explained…Fuel tanks are designed with internal baffle plates this helps with the sudden shifting of weight and allows a better fuel level reading…but some tanks are unvented as the fuel moves the air is also moved and the resonance will transfer through the vehicle panels… it’s Normal ( I never hear it as the musics too loud and I’m death ) :laugh:

ps… on some vehicle if the pressure becomes to great the fuel cap will vent the trapped air

mine has something similar (t6, 68 plate)
Has always done it
I would describe it as more like fuel or adblue sloshing about in the tank when it stops
It’s annoying but you get used to it

I picked up a new T6.1 yesterday and noticed the sloshing noise on the way home- I was a little concerned so thought I would check the forum. Happier now I know it is not specific to my Van. I’ll just have to turn the music up a notch.

Reactions: CAB
Have this on a T6 2018 - is there any areas to improve the sound deadening as I’m right at that point of build

It’s weird I have never heard a swooshing noise from the tank, but I do get a swooshing (surging sound) from the aircon, that goes if you turn off the AC.

Back