Swell Shades installation help...

Rapt0rUK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone fitted Swell Shades, arrived this week, about to tackle installation but the instructions are pretty light touch.

Anyone with any experience of fitting and can give me a few pointers, there's no mention in the instructions at all as to what these clear plastic bits are for??

16150247650026834910255334137263.jpg

Last edited:
Any joy from Dave @ SwellShades?
Hi yep, I gave him a call and he called back (on a Saturday!) so all clear. Managed to get 2 of 5 installed, the ones that pull from top down are fine but the ones from bottom up with magnets in the top rail aren't proving as easy.

There's a lot of tension in the blind and the magnets don't seem to want to line up so there is a gap when the blinds are up... Will speak to Dave again and see if he has any tips for a better finish. I suspect it may be caused by the brackets not being placed optimally but they are near as dammit lined up.

Thanks for sharing.
Just ordered right 1, left 1, left 2 & tailgate, on Kombi factory windows.
Would like to pictures if possible once you’ve installed.
Cheers.

The ones that open/close from the bottom up (rear 1/4's) have magnets in the top rail and have found that it doesn sit flush as the top. Might be able to improve with some tweaking.

20210308_175002.jpg

The others that slide down sit much better.

20210308_175039.jpg

The Vanshades potentially give you a neater finish as you don't see any of the blinds bunched up on the ends when it's open.

20210308_185055.jpg
20210306_174812.jpg
That would be covered by the surround on Vanshades but I think it's a worthwhile trade off to have the full window aperture unobstructed when the blinds are open.

20210308_175100.jpg20210308_185047.jpg

One more rear qtr and the tailgate to go. Hardest part of installation is getting the self tapping screws through the carpet!

Looking pretty good and overall really happy with the result so far.

20210308_185141.jpg20210308_185501.jpg

Hello Rapt0rUK.
How did the blinds work out in the end?
Did you manage to tweak the upward closing blinds to fit the top rail?

They look what they are meant to but i'm not sure my OCD could handle them when open which is 99% of the time.

Hello Rapt0rUK.
How did the blinds work out in the end?
Did you manage to tweak the upward closing blinds to fit the top rail?

Hi sorry missed this, so I finished them all, overall really happy with them coming from the black out covers you stick on with suckers.

The ones that pull from the top down (over the sliding openers) are perfect, the ones that pull bottom up don't meet at the top all that well. In reality it's not a problem in terms of light leakage as the blind closes higher than the edge of the window so it doesn't let light in, but aesthetically it's not great for the OCD!

The issue is the top edge of the window has a slight curve and when you attach the top rail to the mounting clips, it forces that slight curve to the top rail. You're then trying to but up against it with another piece of aluminium which is perfectly straight so the 2 are never going to meet perfectly in the middle.

I spoke to Dave at Swell Shades about it, he suggested loosening the middle fixing slightly to drop the height of the bar in the middle and take the curve out (haven't had chance to try this yet). You also get little plastic wedges (the one in the first photo at the top of the thread) that sit between the mounting clip and the van to level up the clips. Dave was explaining these can be doubled up so you can essentially add an extra one to the middle clip and it would drop it lower to take the bend out.

Haven't had chance to test loosening the bracket off yet but to be honest it needs to drop a good 5-6mm so don't think that is an option. I need to give Dave a shout back as he said he'd happily send me a few more of the wedges so will get onto that eventually. I do think once they are in there it will shut flush, it's quite a faff clipping them in and out though, so not something i'll do in a hurry.

They spend 90% of their time open so it's only really an issue when it comes to the evenings/going to bed, but like I say it's only an aesthetic thing. I will try and sort it eventually and report back but there's a good chance I'll also just learn to live with it quite quickly!

The ones that open/close from the bottom up (rear 1/4's) have magnets in the top rail and have found that it doesn sit flush as the top. Might be able to improve with some tweaking.

View attachment 107374

The others that slide down sit much better.

View attachment 107375

The Vanshades potentially give you a neater finish as you don't see any of the blinds bunched up on the ends when it's open.

View attachment 107376
View attachment 107382
That would be covered by the surround on Vanshades but I think it's a worthwhile trade off to have the full window aperture unobstructed when the blinds are open.

View attachment 107377View attachment 107378

One more rear qtr and the tailgate to go. Hardest part of installation is getting the self tapping screws through the carpet!

Looking pretty good and overall really happy with the result so far.

View attachment 107379View attachment 107380
@Rapt0rUK Could I ask how you are finding your swell shades a year on? I really like the look of them closed, and I like the fact that they don’t have huge enclosures that limit viewing out of them - especially the rear window like the Vanshades do. I like the fact that they are cheaper (or were) than vanshades and that it’s a guy running a business from home. I’m hesitant about the look when they are open, the blind that curls at the edge. Have you had any issues? Do you find the edges bunching up causes you any issues? Would you still recommend them? I need a solution for creating privacy in our van before we come to the T6F summer camp.. Thanks

Last edited:
@Rapt0rUK Could I ask how you are finding your swell shades a year on? I really like the look of them closed, and I like the fact that they don’t have huge enclosures that limit viewing out of them - especially the rear window like the Vanshades do. I like the fact that they are cheaper (or were) than vanshades and that it’s a guy running a business from home. I’m hesitant about the look when they are open, the blind that curls at the edge. Have you had any issues? Do you find the edges bunching up causes you any issues? Would you still recommend them? I need a solution for creating privacy in our van before we come to the T6F summer camp.. Thanks
Hi Dave, a year in and and have to say love the blinds. When they're down you barely notice them and get to enjoy an unobstructed view out the windows of wherever you're parked up. Initially we were a bit unsure about having the strings on show but they are so thin you barely notice them. We have caught them on the odd occasion with the cussions when making up the bed and heard a ping, winced thinking we've snapped one but they seem to be made of tough stuff so hasn't happened yet. Having them bunched up on the sides when down admittedly isn't ideal aesthetically but like I say you barely notice them. They're made of what feels like a paper material with foil back and I was worried where that bunches up it would get creases on the ends where they bend to match the curve of the window, and they do, but soon as you put them up the creases disappear so the material is pretty impressive stuff. If I was going through the decision process again, having lived with them a year, I'd certainly get them again and have no issue recommending to others. Versus where we were storing stick on covers that take up a load of room and a faff to stick on/take off every time, it's night and day. When we park the van up anywhere, even just a car park in the day, if we've got gear in the back we just shut the blinds in seconds and gives us a much better sense of security. I think the trade off of the visible strings is well worth it for the better visibility you get out the windows when they're down Vs the likes of Vanshades. We don't have a wardrobe setup (u shape seating) so when we're in a nice spot, we can lie in the back with a full panoramic view and watch the sunset, perfect!

Hi Dave, a year in and and have to say love the blinds. When they're down you barely notice them and get to enjoy an unobstructed view out the windows of wherever you're parked up. Initially we were a bit unsure about having the strings on show but they are so thin you barely notice them. We have caught them on the odd occasion with the cussions when making up the bed and heard a ping, winced thinking we've snapped one but they seem to be made of tough stuff so hasn't happened yet. Having them bunched up on the sides when down admittedly isn't ideal aesthetically but like I say you barely notice them. They're made of what feels like a paper material with foil back and I was worried where that bunches up it would get creases on the ends where they bend to match the curve of the window, and they do, but soon as you put them up the creases disappear so the material is pretty impressive stuff. If I was going through the decision process again, having lived with them a year, I'd certainly get them again and have no issue recommending to others. Versus where we were storing stick on covers that take up a load of room and a faff to stick on/take off every time, it's night and day. When we park the van up anywhere, even just a car park in the day, if we've got gear in the back we just shut the blinds in seconds and gives us a much better sense of security. I think the trade off of the visible strings is well worth it for the better visibility you get out the windows when they're down Vs the likes of Vanshades. We don't have a wardrobe setup (u shape seating) so when we're in a nice spot, we can lie in the back with a full panoramic view and watch the sunset, perfect!
Thank you, that’s really helpful. I think on balance I am even more inclined towards swell shades now. There are compromises in everything, but as you note those related to swell shades over vanshades, curtains or stick on covers leave the swell shades out in front. For my next trick I’ve to find the money and choose the colour. Something to compliment the orange accents theme of the van.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I think on balance I am even more inclined towards swell shades now. There are compromises in everything, but as you note those related to swell shades over vanshades, curtains or stick on covers leave the swell shades out in front. For my next trick I’ve to find the money and choose the colour. Something to compliment the orange accents theme of the van.
The guy that runs it is really friendly, I couldn't decide between a few colours so he sent me samples of a about 5 I was trying to pick from. If you just drop him a line with the colours you have in mind he'll happily send you samples.

The guy that runs it is really friendly, I couldn't decide between a few colours so he sent me samples of a about 5 I was trying to pick from. If you just drop him a line with the colours you have in mind he'll happily send you samples.
Thanks, I was in touch with them towards the end of last year. I got 5 or 6 samples through, 2 to compliment the orange theme and the others they thought might work well in contrast with the carpet lining.

Back