Swaping 12v Usb Charging Port Socket

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Evening all, I currently have a usb charging socket under the front passenger seat and the driver's seat. Is it possible to swap one of them to just a 12v socket so that it can power a DVD player?

Is it a case of just disconnected the wires from the rear of the socket, screwing out the existing one and then fitting the replacement?

I've uploaded a picture so you can see what I mean.

Thanks all.

IMG_20190718_091646.jpg

IMG_20190718_091648.jpg

Yes. Looks like it.....But.

Make sure the feed wire is a suitable thickness an fused correctly.... 12v sockets can normally supply 10amps.. where as the usb socket may only be drawing 1/2amps.... (so may only have smaller gauge cable and fuse)

Obviously your DVD player will only draw a small current... but if in future you plug in a tyre inflator/other that wants to draw 8/10amp..... you want to be safe and make sure the socket is safely wired and fused for that....

If not then make sure its fused low to prevent and concerns later on.

Thanks for the reply. How do I know if the wire is a suitable thickness and correctly fused? Is there a specific colour wire,?

Thanks for the reply. How do I know if the wire is a suitable thickness and correctly fused? Is there a specific colour wire,?
There may be some information printed along the insulation - look for AWG and any numbers beside it. Or post up a photo of it here.

Apologies for the picture quality. This is what I currently have and which I want to swap out for a 12v socket

IMG_20190722_211123.jpg

IMG_20190722_210740.jpg

IMG_20190722_211150.jpg

what size fuse is it connected to? (follow the wire back to the fuse block)

Update, managed to get a few more pics.

The black wire goes to a ground point (earth) whilst the red goes into a box of fuses which I think are 10amp.

What do you guys reckon? Can it be swapped out for a 12v socket?

IMG_20190723_101236.jpg

IMG_20190723_101224.jpg

That will be fine. While you're on I'd insulate those spade connectors too. Just wrap a bit of electrical tape around the bare metal :thumbsup:

looks like a socket should be fine . . . . + what @Deaky said above

My concern there would be the feed cable to the fuse block, this looks like 2.5mm (but you would need to check). The max fuse outbut to circuits is 40A in that arrangement. Check what fuse is supplying the main cable to the fuse block. You want a fuse smaller than the current carrying capacity of the cable otherwise the cable will get hot and potentilly burn out if you draw too much current.

My concern there would be the feed cable to the fuse block, this looks like 2.5mm (but you would need to check). The max fuse outbut to circuits is 40A in that arrangement. Check what fuse is supplying the main cable to the fuse block. You want a fuse smaller than the current carrying capacity of the cable otherwise the cable will get hot and potentilly burn out if you draw too much current.

Another update. I think this is the fuse you are referring to. It's a 10 amp. fuse which then goes into the fuse block of individual 10 amps. Or am I taking utter nonsense?

IMG_20190723_143137.jpg

That will be fine. While you're on I'd insulate those spade connectors too. Just wrap a bit of electrical tape around the bare metal :thumbsup:

How much tape do I need? By space connectors you mean the silver bits?

Another update. I think this is the fuse you are referring to. It's a 10 amp. fuse which then goes into the fuse block of individual 10 amps. Or am I taking utter nonsense?

View attachment 47756
That is fine, and this is the fuse I was thinking about. In hindsight, those cables are probably 1mm or 1.5mm as they are doubled up into the blue terminals. So you will be fine. Just tape around the bare metal of the terminal. Remove from fuse block, tape arond a few times and refit. This insulates the bare metal. They should have used insulated terminals like this.

All the best,
Ian,
Eclisse Custom Campers :thumbsup::thumbsup:

insulated.jpg

That is fine, and this is the fuse I was thinking about. In hindsight, those cables are probably 1mm or 1.5mm as they are doubled up into the blue terminals. So you will be fine. Just tape around the bare metal of the terminal. Remove from fuse block, tape arond a few times and refit. This insulates the bare metal. They should have used insulated terminals like this.

All the best,
Ian,
Eclisse Custom Campers :thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 47758

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. I'm just glad I found this forum. It's out first ever Transporter so literally learning everyday about stuff. Thanks again for you reply and in fact to everyone.

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. I'm just glad I found this forum. It's out first ever Transporter so literally learning everyday about stuff. Thanks again for you reply and in fact to everyone.

Anybody got one of these?

Screenshot_20190728-183054.jpg

Back