swamper over sized wheel carrier

I've recently been through a similar process, by fitting 235/55R18 tyres on Amarok rims on my new 4-motion T6.1.

While numerous people mentioned that this size tyre fit in the standard wheel carrier with the carrier set on lowest setting, we couldnt do it, even with the tyre deflated.

Without resorting to expensive Siekel carriers, I leant on a family friend who is a custom coachbuilder/panelbeater, and I'm pleased with the results.

We inserted shaped steel 25mm band at the front of the carrier, as per others on this thread.
View attachment 199437

Then, with some 25mm cut pipe as spacers at the front of the carrier, we were able to use the original bolts - longer bolts not required. The fitment of the bolts at the front does need some leverage from long screwdriver to bring the front of the carrier inline with the bolt holes.

We were able to use the factory bolt, noting that i'll replace the captive bolt (shorter thread) with a longer full thread version so both bolts have full thread engagement.

As a result, we didnt have to trim any of the plastic liner (those Siekel instructions to cut off the chassis bracket and then trim the plastic are shocking to me for such an expensive solution) and the tyre fits neatly in the slot - earlier it was a long way from fitting.
View attachment 199436

Very happy with the result. The carrier sits maybe 25mm below the rear diff housing, and the rear approach angle not quite what it was, but its a good outcome for minimal cash.
Do you have any more pics showing the process? I am trying to fit my 235/55/18 Grabber AT3 and struggling. Thank you!

Do you have any more pics showing the process? I am trying to fit my 235/55/18 Grabber AT3 and struggling. Thank you!
I run exactly the same tyres as you bud but are working ATM. I'll post you a simple sketch later of how I cut and welded mine. Half hour job to do if you have or know a welder.

I run exactly the same tyres as you bud but are working ATM. I'll post you a simple sketch later of how I cut and welded mine. Half hour job to do if you have or know a welder.
That’s brilliant, thank you very much! I can weld

Yep only at the back to give it depth. Diameter of the carrier with 235 55 18 is fine. There's enough length on the standard bolt

Sorry for the late reply. I’m on vacation.
The sketch below is a good representation for what my mate (a panel beater) did to the support frame.
I did end up buying the longer genuine VW bolts and spacers as the original bolts were close to impossible to insert with the wider tyres.
BTW I’m finding the 235/55R18 to be a bit too large overall with the speedo now under reading. I wish I could find a 235/50R18 with the right load rating.

8EABE0A2-6799-487B-A874-9B456B9CD43B.jpeg

IMG_6759.jpeg

Anyone tried this with a 245/65/R17?

Recently caught out with a valve fail. 4mo so the spare is useless. Fine at home but problem on the road...

Screenshot_20240301_072437_Photos.jpg

Back