B14 or SoLow?

Why

Both good and bad

Sorry for being blunt

Andy
Depends how low you want to go, b14s wound all the way down can be firm, solows you can get the same height but not fully wound down so more comfortable as the springs arnt compressed so much.

I cant fault solows since I've had them, roughly since October.

Hi

B14,s versus solows

Any reccomendations

Andy

I'm on B14s, and if I was starting again, I'd be going Solows, simply because it gives you more options with potentially more comfort and still using the formidable Bilstein shock.

In fact the only reason I haven't ditched the B14s and moved to Solow is simply because I'd want it even lower than I have currently, meaning I'd have to drop the profile of my tyres, and loose my load rated tyre. I have nothing against people doing this, but I do too many miles, thus increasing my personal risk of getting busted.

Plus I actually like the commercial chunk of a 45 profile on a 19" steel wheel.

Last edited:
Solows, wound half way down
Is the handling and stopping of the roll good

Cheers
Andy

I've just had mine fitted and the handling is 100% better than oem. Mines a t32 lwb and had awful body roll,now handles like a car.

Solows, wound half way down
Is the handling and stopping of the roll good

Cheers
Andy

coilovers will reduce the front end diving under breaking and the rear end crashing about if you want to reduce roll then H&R anti rolls bars are excellent

Has anyone gone from b14’s to so lows? I’m considering do it after having my b14’s on for less than 3000 miles on the lowest setting I’m wondering if so lows would be any more comfortable? I like my b14’s but since putting them to the lowest setting it certainly makes it more crashy. Comments please.....

Has anyone gone from b14’s to so lows? I’m considering do it after having my b14’s on for less than 3000 miles on the lowest setting I’m wondering if so lows would be any more comfortable? I like my b14’s but since putting them to the lowest setting it certainly makes it more crashy. Comments please.....
If your selling your b14's can I have first dibs please?

yeah, I have ...the solows offer more comfort if you want to go low as they can go lower than b14s but still don't need to wound fully down...I personally love the solows much more than I did the b14s

Sound, I’ll keep you posted on my journey, and yes yzfr1 you can have first dibs

Done some major reading of all the coilover advice on the forum the last few days as I'm wanting to go lower with my camper. Currently on vw 30mm lowering springs and while was happy at first the arch gap has now been bugging me for sometime (1st world problem I know).
I run my fully converted lwb T30 camper with pop top on 18inch alloys and initially thought the obvious route was B14s wound all the way down.
I'm now wondering if solows would be better to gain the same drop at full height but retain some comfort? Around a 70 to 80mm drop is what im hoping for.

My main questions I suppose are as follows:

Is fitting Solows even at full height going to be too low practically for a camper with 2 adults and 2 kids and camping clobber? Would the B14s be more sensible?

Secondly. What are peoples experiences of getting the spare wheel from under the van when dropped to these heights?

I guess I'm wanting the slammed look which isn't massively practical with running a full camper so hoping for the closest compromise.

Cheers in advance for any views.

Done some major reading of all the coilover advice on the forum the last few days as I'm wanting to go lower with my camper. Currently on vw 30mm lowering springs and while was happy at first the arch gap has now been bugging me for sometime (1st world problem I know).
I run my fully converted lwb T30 camper with pop top on 18inch alloys and initially thought the obvious route was B14s wound all the way down.
I'm now wondering if solows would be better to gain the same drop at full height but retain some comfort? Around a 70 to 80mm drop is what im hoping for.

My main questions I suppose are as follows:

Is fitting Solows even at full height going to be too low practically for a camper with 2 adults and 2 kids and camping clobber? Would the B14s be more sensible?

Secondly. What are peoples experiences of getting the spare wheel from under the van when dropped to these heights?

I guess I'm wanting the slammed look which isn't massively practical with running a full camper so hoping for the closest compromise.

Cheers in advance for any views.

Having a camper with pop-top myself and having fitted coilovers, I think in retrospect I’d go and see CRS for springs + dampeners, now.

My bus weighs 2400kg without any passengers or camping gear. This means the rear spring is working at its capacity (whilst the fronts are only halfway down). This is a a Stance + Ultra kit, so it might is probably more on par with the SoLow than the B14.

The fact you’ve lived with it lower than standard would have given you an idea regarding ground clearance, so I imagine it’ll be unlikely that you’ll need to readjust your coilovers. And it’ll probably work out cheaper.

Have you checked out @CRS Performance he might be able to help you. Im running solows at full height on my shuttle with no weight. I had the same thoughts as you regards the b14 fully wound down,thought it would be too crashy. I went for solows and dont regret it. View attachment 67687
Thanks for the replies.
Going to have another read over what @CRS Performance can offer. From what I've read it seems like the damper and spring option offers the best solution in terms of pure comfort but not sure how low you can actually get with that route?
Awesome looking van Fezza.
Are those 18" steels your running? Looks exactly the sort of stance I'm after. Do you think youd struggle getting the spare from under the van at that set up?
May have to do some measuring with the spare wheel dropped this aft.
I have to be prepared for when/If we need an emergency wheel change and the wife is stood in the rain saying "I told you not to do it!"

Thanks for the replies.
Going to have another read over what @CRS Performance can offer. From what I've read it seems like the damper and spring option offers the best solution in terms of pure comfort but not sure how low you can actually get with that route?
Awesome looking van Fezza.
Are those 18" steels your running? Looks exactly the sort of stance I'm after. Do you think youd struggle getting the spare from under the van at that set up?
May have to do some measuring with the spare wheel dropped this aft.
I have to be prepared for when/If we need an emergency wheel change and the wife is stood in the rain saying "I told you not to do it!"
Hi There , there is no doubt that many owners have their personal likes and dislikes , The issue with most of the kits mentioned in this thread is that they aren't the best choice for you , Ill have more time later today and ill explain technically why ! , This is a simple choice and when equipped with the right info you will make the correct decision .

chat later !!

Thanks mate. Yeah there 18"s. I've never given it a thought about the spare til now!. I think id struggle to get it out but never tried lol.il measure if you want when it stops raining?. But after looking at this pic it might be ok?.IMG_20200419_141557.jpg

Back