Suspension, suspension, suspension...

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So I've driven barely 250 miles in the few days that I've had my new van but want to replace the standard springs and dampers. It's a T32 SWB.

I've been looking at the Bilstein B14 kit, but have only just realised that a B12 kit is available which is basically the same B8 dampers and Eibach springs but without the additional complexity of the adjustable ride height ( Thanks to a conversation with Jonny @slidepods). Now although I'd like the van to sit a little lower purely for aesthetics this is not my motivation for wanting to fit uprated suspension. The B12 Pro kit is substantially cheaper than the B14 (circa £350 is quite a difference) and since I'm only thinking of a 30-40mm drop at most seems to suit my needs perfectly.

The van as std seems 'floaty' to me with an irritating pitching motion in response to road changes. I would hasten to point out that it's not bad, just that I think it could be a lot better. I'm never likely to load my van heavily and the fact that it's largely unloaded doesn't help the suspension performance.

Now shopping for the B12 kit has proven to be problematic. Most places only list it for the T5. Easiest option seems to be Vanstyle at £749. Now this price includes fitting, but they are currently booked up until the last week of August.

Consequently I'm thinking of fitting the kit myself. Disappointingly Vanstyle will not discount their price for supply only :(

My question(s), if there is one(!), is does anyone know of any suspension sources that I may not have considered and has anyone undertaken this work themselves? The challenge as ever is getting the vehicle sufficiently high in the air.

I had my B14's fitted at Transporter HQ in Lutterworth,

You could give Andy a call and see if he can fit a set of B12's for you?...

Transporters R us are a Bilstein dealer, and they have a workshop. If you can't see what you want online, give them a call. They have sourced items for me in the past that weren't on their website at the time.

Back