Suspension sagging at the rear. What can I do?

I’ve taken some photos from underneath if these help with a diagnosis?

View attachment 130621

View attachment 130622

View attachment 130623
Fitting a spacer above those springs would increase the rear ride height, but it'll do nothing to improve the ride quality. That spring clearly isn't up to the job of carrying the weight of the camper and really needs replacing. The crashy ride is due to the lack of movement available until the spring is completely solid and bumps are just transmitted straight through to you. It would be interesting to see what the front looks like.

Unfortunately, you're going to need to replace what's on there with something more suitable. If you like the current front ride height, then you'll need a set of quality coilover suspension, but you're looking in the region of £950 plus fitting. These can be adjusted to ensure the correct rake angle etc. Alternatively, you could have some good quality lowering springs fitted that can be correctly specified to ensure they cope with the weight in the back. To ensure the best possible ride quality, it's a good idea to fit some upgraded shocks too, like the quality Koni options that are available. This would lead to a drop of approximately 40mm from standard ride height, so higher than the van is now, but would be a huge improvement in ride quality.

Thanks Guys - here’s a picture of the front ones. I found access trickier.

Everything that’s been said makes sense, and I’m not entirely surprised. I spent a lot of money on the van and intend having it for a number of years, so I may just have to take the expensive pain of getting this sorted out!

2B63D3B1-E423-4268-8E76-6F85CDD3B45F.jpeg

BDAE797D-F7DF-4705-AA1A-8AC8DF0BBFFC.jpeg

Looks to me like Stock OEM suspension with a aftermarket lowered springs swap out.

sorry slow to chirp in, The van is way too low. And the springs the camper company fitted are not fit for purpose , they clearly shouldn’t be doing suspension mods if that is what they are turning out and telling you it’s normal. it is a common problem and we get hundreds of vans like this at our workshop. They have to go because they simply aren’t strong enough. What you need to decide is:
How low is practical.
So we can suggest kits to make the van ride well
ie:
Koni special actives are the ultimate comfortable shocks and work up to 40 mm. Drops. Lower than this we can do sport kits and coil over kits.
All give good results and ride.

to confirm what everyone is saying the wheel arch gaps should be the same Front to rear. And this gives a 40 mm rake to the front , this will ensure the steering feels normal , Campers aren’t meant to be lower at the rear !!!

Thanks Guys - here’s a picture of the front ones. I found access trickier.

Everything that’s been said makes sense, and I’m not entirely surprised. I spent a lot of money on the van and intend having it for a number of years, so I may just have to take the expensive pain of getting this sorted out!

View attachment 130692

View attachment 130693
After what you have already spent on the vehicle , sorting this problem will be cheap ,

I'm having a think about other options here, and wonder whether a solution would be to have installed original T28 VW springs at the rear. With the weight of the conversion, these would probably compress by 30 mm which would bring it pretty much in line with the 40mm drop at the front, with a bit to spare for when it is fully loaded up. Any thoughts?

i did some workings out a while back what size water tank 1 Ltr = 1 kg = 70 Ltr = 150 lb and what's your loaded weight . T 28 springs might not be enough to hold it without a bit of sag
70 fuel = 140 lb ish Awning = 30 lb = 320 LB + 25 kg = 50 lb on the leisure battery
so before you even add conversion kit and bed then add cloths and food
then add 2 x 10 stone passengers 140 lb + 200 lb in my case lol
my van must be close to 600 lb in the back all the time

Last edited:
I lowered my t6.1 california with kw suspension (coil over). when first lowered, it became clear that the factory ride height is level.
that means the rear sits about 15/20mm lower than the front.

it was only when we lowered it that it became obvious.

we adjusted the rear so it sits higher when the van isn't loaded.
when she's fully packed she sits level.

241803632_830687330976753_595864153324539975_n.jpg

Okay, so happy with the standard ride of my van, always have been. But have had seats fitted in the rear and also a bed/drawer system. So the van no longer sits level. Someone suggested replacing the front springs to sport line which would drop the front by 25mm over standard. Anyone else done this or have any suggestions thanks.

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6759.JPEG

Not wanting the lowered look either really. Would be happy of it were just level.

Okay, so happy with the standard ride of my van, always have been. But have had seats fitted in the rear and also a bed/drawer system. So the van no longer sits level. Someone suggested replacing the front springs to sport line which would drop the front by 25mm over standard. Anyone else done this or have any suggestions thanks.

View attachment 132086

View attachment 132087

Not wanting the lowered look either really. Would be happy of it were just level.
Search ‘sag’ and you’ll find more info. But this post from Steve will summarise:
Sorting the rear out is a little easier than changing the front . You need to firstly decide if the spring has sagged and the car is lower because of this . If this is the case then a sagged spring becomes softer , lower and softer spring with the additional conversion weight it wont get better , it can only get worse .

There are a few things you can do ,
1 fit spring spacers on rear . Measure how much higher the van needs to be at the rear and buy spacer to accommodate .
2 Try the standard spring and see if the rake still looks ok Ideally the rake should be 25 to 35 mm to the front
3 If the rear is too high after refitting original rear spring ( item 2 ) try the spring from a T 30 or T 28
4 Buy a quality lowering spring to suit the van and conversion

No need to go to B14 as they too battle with the hi weight on the rear of T 32 with mods

Ideally fit KONI special active or Sport shocks with H&R spring spec' d to suit you van with its mods

Too many un qualified people selling suspension kits here in Uk and results are poor sadly

let me know if you need more info .

I know I know this subject has been done to death, I have a 2016 T28 PV and my arse is sagging a bit and soon to be sagging alot due to installation of security boxes weighing 106kg combined that`s before I fill them. So as these are a permanent fixture I think I need to change the rear springs to T32 springs to give a little lift to an ageing bottom. Cheeky ask but does anybody have a set casually lying about looking for a permanent home ;) much appreciated.
Stewart

I know I know this subject has been done to death, I have a 2016 T28 PV and my arse is sagging a bit and soon to be sagging alot due to installation of security boxes weighing 106kg combined that`s before I fill them. So as these are a permanent fixture I think I need to change the rear springs to T32 springs to give a little lift to an ageing bottom. Cheeky ask but does anybody have a set casually lying about looking for a permanent home ;) much appreciated.
Stewart
Finish all the mods and let me have the wheel arch gap on the rear. , I’ll tell you what to do to fix it. If you arent looking to sort the ride quality , this is an easy fix

Finish all the mods and let me have the wheel arch gap on the rear. , I’ll tell you what to do to fix it. If you arent looking to sort the ride quality , this is an easy fix
Internal mods done at last and here is the result. Your thoughts on the remedy most appreciated. Easy fix but also ride quality fix

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

The front is approx 20 mm down and the rear 40 mm , we need to get them level

1 lift the back
2 drop the front
3 Drop all around and go lower than 40 MM

steve

Depends on whether you do proper shocks to get the ride , comfort and Handling better , then its no more work to drop the front of course

Because of the weight of which most is over the back axle would installing T32 springs be the simple solution ? I can`t drop the height too much due to the camber of the road on to my upward sloping drive.

Because of the weight of which most is over the back axle would installing T32 springs be the simple solution ? I can`t drop the height too much due to the camber of the road on to my upward sloping drive.
It’s an effective Way to go with little to no cost. But the T32 spring alone sometimes doesn’t quite get where it need s to be and we fit a spring distance spacer as well !

Since having the rock n roll bed fitted to the front of my campervan it now sits 60mm higher at the front than the back. The ride is also very hard. I'm hoping to find a suspension expert in Glasgow or West central Scotland who could even up the front and back by dropping the front down so that the van sits level and hopefully to make the drive softer. Presently, I feel (and hear) every single little bump in the road.
I know there are options/ for spring coil-overs etc but I have zero experience/knowledge on this subject.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
P.S It is a SWB T6 T30

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Last edited:
Back