Suspension sagging at the rear. What can I do?

MEX72

We've purchased our very first camper van conversion (T6 LWB, T30 Highline), due to collect in next few weeks and we're looking to add a few features prior to collection. One being new alloys and lowering the suspension.

The van has standard 16 inch alloys at present, and we're looking at upgrading to 18inch rims, along with 30mm Eibach springs.

QUESTION: The van appears to be sagging at the rear as it currently stands (see pic), will the fitting of the lowering springs involve correcting this at the time of fitting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

suspension query.jpg

If you get adjustable coil over kit you can adjust the corners individually. Hope that helps?

Putting on just lowering springs (30mm) won't correct any imbalances visually, what it will do is look the same, but slightly lower. Ok, the lowered springs might well be slightly stiffened, but if it's dropping that much at the rear, it's more likely down to the weight inside the back from the camper conversion.

Like @JaySal said, coilovers will give you the benefit of being able to level out the Camper because they are fully adjustable.
However, as you might already know, this can be quite a jump in price from just a set of springs, but if you can afford to go this route, its a well reported improvement on both ride and handling, with the added bonus that it's one of the best modifications you can do to make a set of wheels look much better.

To me it looks less sagging at the rear, but more up in the air at the front, but it's probably the same principal.

To give you a better idea of what I mean, look here Sunroof Saturday and scroll down to @DaveyB camper, he's on B14 coilovers and i'm sure they are 18" Sportline wheels, so correct load rating and look awesome Black on White. (not that I condone copying another members ride) but you get the idea.

Last edited:
30mm eibach springs fixed this for me on our Cali Beach. You may ask why the Cali Beach doesn't come out the factory with the correct suspension but that's a whole other discussion :)

30mm eibach springs fixed this for me on our Cali Beach. You may ask why the Cali Beach doesn't come out the factory with the correct suspension but that's a whole other discussion :)

So prior to fitting the springs, your VW built California sagged at the rear from the factory?

Thanks for the comments and feedback, much appreciated. I see what you mean @Pauly about that loooong thread but some great snippets of info in there (I'm on page 4 so far!). The coilover kits look expensive but maybe it's a case of biting the bullet and doing it right first time. I'm also considering just doing the rim upgrade for now and seeing how it goes, costs can spiral out of control quite quickly and easily and we're already 'max'ing' out on the cost of the van. Thanks again guys.

So prior to fitting the springs, your VW built California sagged at the rear from the factory?
Yep, as do many. The suspension was basically the same as a T30 Kombi which seems wrong given the extra weight of roof, bench seat, multiflex etc

I spent ages arguing with the dealer and VW, and eventually came to an agreement. In summary VW said it was within tolerances while the dealer agreed with me it wasn't.

Yep, as do many. The suspension was basically the same as a T30 Kombi which seems wrong given the extra weight of roof, bench seat, multiflex etc

I spent ages arguing with the dealer and VW, and eventually came to an agreement. In summary VW said it was within tolerances while the dealer agreed with me it wasn't.

Considering what you guys have to pay out for a Cali, that's shocking. You'd assume a factory built Camper would look perfectly level and be slightly over-engineered for confidence. I'm staggered.

Eibach Springs Part No.?
@MEX72 what your asking is exactly the issue I had and changing only the front springs have worked for me with minimal cost involved, for me the van looks better and drives very nicely for a full camper.
That's interesting, I'd never have thought of that. So 2 x Eibach springs to front. I assume the fitters do the necessary geometry checks etc to ensure all is well?

That's interesting, I'd never have thought of that. So 2 x Eibach springs to front. I assume the fitters do the necessary geometry checks etc to ensure all is well?

Geometry checks? the springs lowered the front end of mine to give an equal measurement from centre of wheel to underside of wheel arch @ 415 mm, so a quick measure before hand would give you an idea.
The spring kit sold by Eibach through Larkspeed is specifically sold for campers for what you require, also as they are the same springs VW fit should be no issue with warranty.

The springs have a rating of 1710 Kg so are good up to and including a T32 so also stiffen the front end too. Don't forget that VW themselves fit different rated springs front to back depending which engine/ gearbox configuration you have.

Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs for VW - larkspeed.com

Geometry checks? the springs lowered the front end of mine to give an equal measurement from centre of wheel to underside of wheel arch @ 415 mm, so a quick measure before hand would give you an idea.
The spring kit sold by Eibach through Larkspeed is specifically sold for campers for what you require, also as they are the same springs VW fit should be no issue with warranty.

The springs have a rating of 1710 Kg so are good up to and including a T32 so also stiffen the front end too. Don't forget that VW themselves fit different rated springs front to back depending which engine/ gearbox configuration you have.

Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs for VW - larkspeed.com
Thank you @Tony&Dawn that's really helpful of you. Ours is a T30 LWB so these should do the trick nicely :) If you have a photo of your van with the kit fitted I'd love to see it!

I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit as I have the same issue as you now the van is converted but don’t want to drop more than 30mm so can’t justify the b14 expense. VW T5 T6 Bilstein Eibach Pro Lowering Kit B12 - Vanstyle
Says the set up lowers the front by a further 10mm to level the van so ideal for campers. (I want the dampers as recently swapped to bilstein oem replacements on my Golf GTD and the difference is night and day, better handling and more controlled under braking.)

@MEX72
Did you get your springs sorted?
We too have a T30 LWB with a saggy bum ( or lifted front end??)
What did you plump for in the end?

Back