Suspension Confusion!

Welsh Girl

Evening all, I have seen a lot of chat regarding suspension, in particular, the lowering of it and I wanted to ask what is the reason behind this? Is it safety, good looks or fuel economy? Or a combination? My van is definitely heavier (obviously) following the conversion though I feel it handles well but wondered if it would be beneficial. If it is something you would recommend; what sort of money would I be looking at, and, does anyone know anyone reputable in the Herts/Beds/Bucks area to carry out the work?
Please keep it simple, lots of the threads I've read have a lot of technical detail which makes my head hurt.:rolleyes:

Thank you so much,
Welshie

I don’t know enough about suspension to comment on any benefits other than appearance. I get my conversion camper next spring and I’ve decided to go for all terrain tyres and wheels on the standard factory suspension. I would say if you’re happy with the way your van rides and its comfort, why change unless the shocks need changing. To my mind the main reason to lower is purely appearance and if someone has this the cash to do something that doesn’t really need doing then go for it. You can see some prices for the equipment here
T5 / T6 Lowering Springs | Transporter HQ

Mainly to stop the van wallowing around through corners like a pig on stilts and make it handle a bit more like a car...

Standard suspension can be a bit crashy over bumps and hitting potholes can rattle your fillings loose....

Some people notice it more than others.... it sounds like you're happy with the drive of yours as it is... in which case unless you want to get under 2.0 meter car park barriers then its probably not worth you spending your money on lowering it or upgrading the shocks.

Evening all, I have seen a lot of chat regarding suspension, in particular, the lowering of it and I wanted to ask what is the reason behind this? Is it safety, good looks or fuel economy? Or a combination? My van is definitely heavier (obviously) following the conversion though I feel it handles well but wondered if it would be beneficial. If it is something you would recommend; what sort of money would I be looking at, and, does anyone know anyone reputable in the Herts/Beds/Bucks area to carry out the work?
Please keep it simple, lots of the threads I've read have a lot of technical detail which makes my head hurt.:rolleyes:

Thank you so much,
Welshie
Benefits of lowering (well upgrading) are, in no particular order, you can decide which, if any, are important for you.....

Looks: A lowered van looks better to a lot of people. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but vans sitting lower than standard do look better to a lot of people.
Performance / Handling: Providing it's a quality kit that's fitted, you'll go round corners better, accelerate a tiny bit better and brake a tiny bit better too.
Stance Correction: Some camper conversions suffer from a bit of a saggy rear end where the rear sits too low because of the added weight of the conversion. This can be corrected with the right upgraded/lowered suspension.
Comfort: The standard T6 suspension isn't great. There are many options, including lowering, providing that it's a quality kit, that can improve the quality of the ride.
Noise Levels: Many customers report a reduction in road noise in the van after having a good quality suspension upgrade.

Cheers,

Chris.

@Welsh Girl suspension conversion is often the first mod that most people do, but simultaneously the most unnecessary and superfluous in all honesty...you will get reams of stuff on handling, ride, stance, road contact and whatever other S#%t us van-struck suckers can come up with, but pretty much all of it is non-essential...that’s my opinion anyway, but then again I still have my van lowered on..........blah blah blah blah

Thank you so much,
Welshie
This is my personal and subjective view!
Predominantly lowering is for looks and can help bigger wheel “fill” the wheel arch. And, yes, it is a very food look.

With a heavier van following conversion, the “level” of the van is important for safety and handling. No point in the van sitting on its backside if the front wheels are scrabbling to pull, steer or stop you! Packers between the springs and the van can correct the level/rake of the van.

Also with the extra permanent weight, your shock absorbers will be slightly compressed permanently, thus reducing the travel available to do their job. That will impact comfort.

Lastly, there is the roll when cornering or on roundabouts. With a converted van, with more weight higher up there is an increased roll, which is a handling issue. My factory California came with the lightest anti roll bars available in the range - all that extra factory fitted weight and they put on panel van ARBs!
I didn’t lower, but I did have my shocks and ARBs upgraded. They also fixed my rake while they were at it.

You might have guess that I’m not a mechanic, but hope this was sufficiently layman explanation. Hopefully, others will be along shortly to correct where I am wrong!

Here is a review I posted last month:

As promised, an update following a visit to @CRS Performance.....

My needs are quite simple - improve the driving comfort and remove the "skippy-ness" when driving. I'm not looking to lower my 2018 California as I occasionally tow a hoofing great big twin-axle caravan. The Cali is also our "family car" and it is running on 235/55/R17 Michelin Cross Climates.

So, the day came to visit Steve and his team in Cannock and I took my young lad (aged 8.) We were a few minutes late but were directed straight onto the ramp. Two office chairs were wheeled out to give us a front-row view of the work being undertaken and a very welcome cuppa. (Yes, we had the foresight to bring the biscuits - an army marches on its stomach after all!)

Initial measurements were taken: van was 20mm down at the rear and 10mm up at the front. This was essentially unladen weight of a factory California. Up went the ramp and a quick squint underneath: "Ooh, that's a baby!" or words to that effect was the assessment of the rear anti-roll bar. (It was 22mm, the lightest bar for a Transporter, yet it was put onto a California with all that glass and a pop-top raising the centre of gravity???)

No messing about, Koni Active shocks and a set of H&R antiroll bars were put on to replace the originals equipment. This is a slick operation: removing old, preparing new, fitting and checking fitment all happening in parallel. Questions and photos weren't an issue during the work. (They even refitted the wheels I had put on in the wrong rotation.........can we just gloss over that bit, eh?!?!?!!)

Then, it came to checking the levels/rake. Drop the van, meansure it, lift the van, adjust it..........have the work peer-reviewed.......until all were happy. Only then did the LED levelling sensors go back on with new bolts. Steve then takes the van for a test drive before handing it back to us to test drive (yes, he did come with us!) Push the van into a roundabout.......find a pothole..........stand on the anchors.......etc etc!

After a couple of hours of mainly motorways, I finally got to the hilly A-roads before home (approximately 15 miles) and this was where the results of work became properly noticeable. My Cali was now close to "car like" handling. No longer did I feel like I was driving an epileptic armchair mid-fit with the backend twitching while I grip the steering wheel to remain in the seat! (Actually, previously I wondered whether it was my backend or the van's that used to twitch the most!)

Then came the real test: have Senior Management (Domestic Front) drive. Within a few hundred yards: "Yes, that feels different!" After a roundabout (taken normally): "Ooh, that's much better!" Over supper: "That was worth the money!" And, from the back seat my youngest (aged 6) piped up: "It's a lot smoother and kinda like Mummy's car!" The most telling comment was later (again from Senior Management): "Don't you feel a bit aggrieved that you have to fix what comes out of the factory? They should know enough about what a California is used for by now!"

So, some pointers for those considering going down this route:
  • rummage around this forum and read what others have to say
  • speak with @CRS Performance or @ChrisR (an affiliate of CRS Performance for suspension matters)
  • most importantly, tell them what you want to achieve, what you intend doing with your van and, what you have already done. If you need it for towing or carrying large loads; if you intend to lower it; if you want massive wheels on it.............tell them at the outset and they can guide you on the best options. They aren't mind-readers, but they are experts!
Finally, thank you to the team at @CRS Performance for the work done and the care taken.

@Welsh Girl suspension conversion is often the first mod that most people do, but simultaneously the most unnecessary and superfluous in all honesty...you will get reams of stuff on handling, ride, stance, road contact and whatever other S#%t us van-struck suckers can come up with, but pretty much all of it is non-essential...that’s my opinion anyway, but then again I still have my van lowered on..........blah blah blah blah
That cracked me up!

what sort of money would I be looking at

Thank you so much,
Welshie

I've just picked up on this question specifically in order to make sure a seller/fitter doesn't try to sell you something you don't need. The price can vary wildly from very little for a really simple rear ride height correction to over £2000 for an overpriced and probably unnecessary kit.

It's important to understand what the benefits can be, then exactly why and if you want to make a change and then discuss the options and get pricing.

That cracked me up!
...and we do it because we love it and we can...

on a more serious note, it does make a difference to handling, road noise...blah blah blah...and most definitely aesthetics...and that is why it matters

...and we do it because we love it and we can...

on a more serious note, it does make a difference to handling, road noise...blah blah blah...and most definitely aesthetics...and that is why it matters
Absolutely! That heady mix of need and desire!

*I’ll get my coat!

We are always happy to quote and advise on suspension with many different offerings from all the top suspension suppliers. We don’t just offer 1 or 2 suppliers or setups .

We have 20 years experience with transporters and all aspects of modifications so can draw from our wealth of experience to offer you the correct setup.

We run demo vehicles for most setups, so you can try before you buy, and test back to back.

Let us know your vehicle and wheel specification and we can help get your perfect setup for your requirements.

All of our kits are made and designed for the exact weight rated vehicle, without any aftermarket modifications - this is very important. Make sure the kit being fitted is correct for your vehicle and not one adapted. All parts fitted need to be properly strength tested, if they are aftermarket. And certificated as such for your insurers.

All of our suspension comes with a hunter alignment as part of the fitting cost. This is critical to to get the best from your tyres and suspension.

Always happy to talk through options on the phone and if we are too far away can mail order and suspension and recommend a local fitting expert for you, if you don’t have one. Or just offer advise and help you get the best setup.

Choose your suspension wisely, as most will tell you, money spent well in this area will be the best money you spend on your van.

Last edited:

Thank you so much,
Welshie

Hi Welshie, if you are happy with what you have, then there is no rush to change anything I would suggest. See how you go with your van. However the standard dampers are only just up to the job and after only a few thousand miles you may possibly notice a deficiency. It is things like how does the vehicle feel when turning in to a bend or travelling on poorer roads. Does it bounce or pitch, is it a handful on wet roads If someone travels fast most of the time on twisty roads, it is not long before they would start to feel shortcomings in the standard suspension. It might start to grate on their mentality.

Just changing the dampers/shock absorbers for quality after market products is usual all one would need to do. They would make an immediate, noticeable difference and improvement to handling, braking and comfort. Tyres last longer braking in shorter distances and much safer over all. Travelling long distances becomes more joy and is less tiring Just change one component thing at a time and note the benefit. that is 4 dampers That might be all that is necessary. Sometimes then, one might consider something else like stiffer anti roll bars but that may not be necessary at all.

We all may have or own preferences, I have always turned to KONI adjustable dampers because they are a quality product. I have used them for many, many years. They will keep a much better control of the suspension, wheels and vehicle They can be adjusted to stiffen further for feel or for ware and tear after many thousands of miles. They can also be rebuilt. If it was me I would not go lower but I do have reasons of particular need in my life style. Even so, going lower can make the ride more uncomfortable and depending on how low make access more difficult. Going lower is usually for fashon unless your racing on short circuits. Enjoy your Van.

Reactions: JOG

Thank you so much,
Welshie
9E26273E-1AF2-4F72-898B-63B8F3806105.jpeg
Simple answer- loaded, level, looks.... like:thumbsup:

No, not scared away, not yet :laugh:

Thank you, everyone, for your replies, and sharing your knowledge and opinions. Lots of food for thought. It would seem, though not completely necessary, there are benefits to be gained and if I go at this slowly and carefully I will find the right balance between spend and improvement. Maybe I will start with getting the ARB's checked out.

Best put it on my Christmas list!
Thanks again
Welshgirl

No, not scared away, not yet :laugh:

Thank you, everyone, for your replies, and sharing your knowledge and opinions. Lots of food for thought. It would seem, though not completely necessary, there are benefits to be gained and if I go at this slowly and carefully I will find the right balance between spend and improvement. Maybe I will start with getting the ARB's checked out.

Best put it on my Christmas list!
Thanks again
Welshgirl
Hiya - the first check is straightforward and you can do at home: Measure the diameter of the ARB

Back