Suspension bolt torque nightmare

djg87

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone

Fitting solow coilovers next week and have been gathering the required tools and getting as much info as I can but when it comes to torquing up the front pinch bolts (t32) and both the upper and lower rear damper bolts I keep coming across different figures everywhere I look. Even when it comes to the drop Links. One thing says 50nm and the next will say 60nm. Going a bit mad. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

So far I’ve got
Drop links 60nm
Front strut nut 80nm
Rear shock lower 120nm + 180deg
Rear shock upper 80nm + 90 deg
Pinch bolts front strut t32. 150nm + 90 deg

Been reading an online repair manual and it’s missing the section for the t32 pinch bolt torque settings

So far I’ve got
Drop links 60nm
Front strut nut 80nm

Been reading an online repair manual and it’s missing the section for the t32 pinch bolt torque settings
I'd have thought you'd get the torque settings in the installation instructions when the solows arrive, although somebody might correct me on that?

My t5 haynes manual says…

Suspension strut to swivel hub clamp bolts

Up to 3000kg gross weight 75nm then further 180 degrees

Over 3000kg gross weight 150nm then further 90 degrees

States new nuts and bolts should be used.

So far I’ve got
Drop links 60nm
Front strut nut 80nm

Could you not call up THQ and and ask them for the torque specs?

S
I'd have thought you'd get the torque settings in the installation instructions when the solows arrive, although somebody might correct me on that?
Sadly the only thing in the box was the solows. Would have been nice if the included a fitting guide.

My t5 haynes manual says…

Suspension strut to swivel hub clamp bolts

Up to 3000kg gross weight 75nm then further 180 degrees

Over 3000kg gross weight 150nm then further 90 degrees

States new nuts and bolts should be used.
Emailed transporter hq and asked if they use new bolts or just reuse the old when installing solows and they said using the old bolts is fine. Tho I think I may order some new ones for peace of mind. Thank you for your response

Emailed transporter hq and asked if they use new bolts or just reuse the old when installing solows and they said using the old bolts is fine. Tho I think I may order some new ones for peace of mind. Thank you for your response
I don’t get why manufacturers are fixated (no pun intended) on stretch bolts - didn’t need them on my classic viva / minis / fiesta or my 2003 911! Just seems like a money making exercise as these ‘special’ bolts are usually very expensive compared to their non-special counterparts!

I don’t get why manufacturers are fixated (no pun intended) on stretch bolts - didn’t need them on my classic viva / minis / fiesta or my 2003 911! Just seems like a money making exercise as these ‘special’ bolts are usually very expensive compared to their non-special counterparts!
You can buy the same grade bolt from any supplier. The head of the bolt will show the grade.
Audi wanted about £7 for one bolt, I got 50 of the same grade and plated at screwfix for slightly less.

Heritage parts wants about £10 per front strut retaining bolt tho only have 2 in stock . Without nut. For a laugh and waiting on a call back from vw parts centre for a price on all required nuts and bolts

If you need any other info from the manual let me know. I have a T6 but the T5 manual covers the majority of what I need. The manual ref is 5743 isbn 978 1 78521 420 2

The nut I would consider changing is the driveshaft locking nut - about £12 each IIRC!

Heritage parts wants about £10 per front strut retaining bolt tho only have 2 in stock . Without nut. For a laugh and waiting on a call back from vw parts centre for a price on all required nuts and bolts
Vw Van service centre quoted £62 for 4 strut retaining bolts with nuts, rear shock bolts and nuts and 2 nuts above the top mounts. I expected more thb. Looked elsewhere and decided to just get them direct as to ensure the right parts for peace of mind. Spent thousands on solows and wheels/tyres. What £60 more eh

Dont forget the driveshaft nuts - these are locknuts and need to come off to release the hub assembly.

Dont forget the driveshaft nuts - these are locknuts and need to come off to release the hub assembly.
As a t30 on t32 suspension am I right in thinking I won’t need to touch those to swap out the front struts?just the top two bolts, drop links and the strut retaining bolts. I’ve heard it’s half the job compared to the t26/t28 and t30

Morning guys.
Is it worth paying the membership fee for access to the list of torque settings or am I better off just buying a Haynes manual? I messaged Mikey at thq regarding solow fitting and torque figures and got a very vague answer. Thought he would be more helpful as I assume they fit them day in Day out. I need to slack off and retighten the front and rear wishbone bush bolts to not stress them once back on the ground and once again everywhere I look is giving me massively different tightnesses.

Back