Surface rust

andythom188

Electrician
T6 Legend
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
should I be complaing to dealer about surface rust on centre of discs or is this common on new vehicles , as you can gather this is my first brand new van usually go 18 months old.
Just want to know if to be pushing this at the dealer 2moz as I've got to call him with some issues.

That's pretty standard with any brakes. The steel in brake discs isn't meant to last but to withstand heat so it's treated differently.

You've just given me job #1 to do on day 1 :rolleyes:

Any idea how well Hamerite stands up to heat?

I've always used it without any problems..
3 coats on back plates and spare wheel carrier too..

Halfords do i good heat resistant paint for calipers etc if it concerns you.
Hammerite on the back plates and spare wheel carries will be ok..

Same with ours - same with our BMW too.
Seems rusty hubs are just "normal."
Hammered my old 335d ones but not bothered with these two. I really don't like it but OCD needs to stop somewhere....!

Most gloss paints are good for calipers and hubs. Remember you need a blow touch to burn it off. Have never used this so called caliper paint, its just a con.

Most gloss paints are good for calipers and hubs. Remember you need a blow touch to burn it off. Have never used this so called caliper paint, its just a con.

I used foliatec caliper paint on my car.
It's a 2 pack gloss paint that withstands high temperatures of 700 degrees c.

Certainly lasts on a track day where other paints bubble and peel from the heat.

image.jpg
I used foliatec caliper paint on my car.
It's a 2 pack gloss paint that withstands high temperatures of 700 degrees c.

Certainly lasts on a track day where other paints bubble and peel from the heat.

If your brakes are getting that hot I would be a bit worried about the state of your brake fluid. 700 deg c is a bit hot...

I never said my brakes get that hot. That's the temperature rating of the paint I used. I got the wrong temp reading . It's actually 300 degrees.
Either way Calipers and discs get hotter than the brake fluid, alot hotter. It's not uncommon to see discs temps of around 550 degrees c.

Same with ours - same with our BMW too.
Seems rusty hubs are just "normal."
Hammered my old 335d ones but not bothered with these two. I really don't like it but OCD needs to stop somewhere....!
I wanted a 335d msport tourer and mapped it to 350bhp but was told it would be big enough for our family, glad really as got me beauty sat on the drive now

I wanted a 335d msport tourer and mapped it to 350bhp but was told it would be big enough for our family, glad really as got me beauty sat on the drive now

Ours was a touring but it wasn't exactly a big car inside. Now the Subaru (big estate) is the load lugger so we downsized to the M135i; which is more fun. But the E91 served us well for almost six years.

I had a 3dr Audi A3 tdi Quattro in black running 19s was like a go kart had her nearly 7 years had some fun in that but family out grown it sadly.
We got a 135d flying around our town with piggy back Ecu from USA pushing just over 500bhp spose to be silly power

Been standard on all my new VWs. I even took my Tiguan back and moaned about it ruining the look of the car and VW replaced them for the same thing to happen months later.

Back