Summer Wheels To Winter Wheels - When?

Just a side note on this discussion.

A mate of mine ran summer/winter tyres on his Audi RS4. He's a data minded individual and, for reasons best known to him, keeps track of tyre wear on his car and sticks it in a spreadsheet. So, he basically knows exactly the rate of tyre wear per mile over the time he's had the car (several years).

One spring/summer he simply didn't get around to taking the winter tyres off but continued to track the tyre wear. He found that the tyre wear on his winter tyres over summer was identical to the average wear of his summer tyres over the previous few years.

He's a fastidious fellow so contacted Pirreli for comment. Their statement was that they were not surpised since, within the UK (and scotland especially), the temperature rarely gets high enough to make it essential to swap over to summer tyres.

Since then I've run Winter or All Season tyres all year round and never noted any accelerated tyre wear.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage (literally) might vary.

I see many cars with winter tyres on all year round. Regarding wear, winters in the summer probably aren't too bad, but I have noticed that summer tyres do wear much faster during the winter months.

I've ran winters all year on the last car and current one is on winters all year.
Van has just been treated to a set of all seasons as if it's that bad then I'll take the car. I'm done with storing 2 sets of wheels for 2 vehicles and swapping over all the time.

I usually aim for beginning of November to stick the winters on, but we seem to be in double digit temperatures for a while yet!

One year I was fitting them on SWMBOs Fabia with 2 inches of snow on the ground! She now has an Octavia with all season tyres so just the van to worry about!

When do we predict the swap over? 15th November me thinks (guesses!).

Winter boots on today. I quite like the look! These are 18" Amaroks. No spacers, straight on to replace LV-1 alloys. IMG_0309.JPG

Last edited:
I swapped the 20" LV-1's for 16" steels with new Falken winters today.
What a huge reduction in road noise and much more cushioning of the lumps and bumps in the road.
I know its obvious that a 65 profile is going to be more comfortable than a 40 profile, but it really is dramatic.

The other thing I've noticed is how unevenly the fronts have worn. Hugely more wear to the inside compared to the outside and it appears that running the LV-1 at 40 PSI as recommended, looks too high. The centre is wearing badly. Does anyone know if Leightons adjust the settings, after fitting the lower springs? My evidence suggests not, but I'd be disappointed if they haven't.

We put Michelin Agilis Cross Climates on last year, and they are exceptionally impressive on dry summer roads, and unpleasant, cold, wet winter roads.

Are the T6's Tire Pressure Sensors? or is the flat tyre warning done by the wheel speeds going out of sync?

Trying to decide on having a set of winter & summer wheels or just changing over tyres :)

Thanks

Are the T6's Tire Pressure Sensors? or is the flat tyre warning done by the wheel speeds going out of sync?

Trying to decide on having a set of winter & summer wheels or just changing over tyres :)

Thanks
The regular T6 uses the wheel speed sensor.

Some people have retro fitted direct tpms. Which uses pressure sensors in the wheel.

Back