Suction Cup Bike Racks

RosscoPCole

T6 Guru
When we travel we use a Thule Backup box on our towbar, but we would like to take our 4 bikes with us as well. The problem is we have barn doors. I've seen suction cup bike racks and was wondering if anyone had used them on their barn doors? Or is there another solution to mounting 4 bikes on barn doors?
Thank you in advance

There not actually suction cups as such they are protection pads/load spreaders for the door. The fitting is that they hook over the top of the door as the main support

The only off-the-shelf bike rack for barn doors is the Fiamma 2 bike model. Putting 4 bikes on is likely to be too much weight for the doors.

Pete

Not seen those before. Looks like it’s only for horizontal rather than vertical surfaces.

Why not use a roof box, and a towbar mounted bike rack. That’s what we do.

Pete

I was thinking of something like this:
Talon Rack - 1 Bike
Not the traditional bike racks you usually see.
I've used this on my old Audi A5 before and they hold very well but that was on the roof. I have seen pictures on FB forums of people attaching to barn doors and tailgates, however there seems to be an arguement of the bike sticking out too far and being illegal???

I have got a single bike version of that.
It has been used on various car roofs at speeds of over 60mph, it is a bit nerve racking the first time you do it.
Watch the videos on YouTube.
as above there may be issue of bike sticking out too far, rather than it coming detached.

I’ve used the seasucker and been really impressed with it. That’s only for 1 bike though, although they do a 2 bike version. Not sure if you’d fit 4 on the barn doors

Thanks for all the replies. My only other thought is to have something where the rear wheel of the bike is mounted on the towbar mounted storage box and the front wheel on the barn door.

Not seen those before. Looks like it’s only for horizontal rather than vertical surfaces.

Why not use a roof box, and a towbar mounted bike rack. That’s what we do.

Pete

talking of bike racks, the one you sold me is great. We’re out almost every weekend using it. Thanks again Pete

Back