strange whine

rover220

VCDS User
T6 Guru
hi folks

got a very annoying whine from the engine thats present around 80% of the time, particularly bad under load/acceleration from low revs.

i have worked out that its linked to the interior fan, if i switch the fan off the whine stops!!!! it looks like this is an issue on some t5gp but I've not found a cause as yet...

anyone else suffering this?

This is not something that I have noticed on mine sorry although I will listen for it tomorrow.

I too have a odd noise like you describe I will try the fan as I only notice it %10 of the time

@BiTurbo Perceived excessive speed seems to be the cause and the greater the perception the higher the pitch and volume :D. Must work the same as radio volume that adjusts to speed but without an off switch :fast rofl:

@rover220 did you ever find where the whine was coming from? I have something similar but appears to be still there even when the fans are switched off. Mine sounds like either the turbo or DSG box.

If its a euro 6 you have someone mentioned a whine from underneath that turned out to be the adblue system pump running i think

Thanks @Pauly, yes it is a Euro 6 204 engine, the noise is only under load, I guess it could be the adblue pump but sounds more like a turbo or gearbox noise. It's in at VW today so hopefully they will identify, fingers crossed.

@rover220 did you ever find where the whine was coming from? I have something similar but appears to be still there even when the fans are switched off. Mine sounds like either the turbo or DSG box.

i didnt, seems to have settled down over winter, i suspect its the ac compressor though

I had the same whine on my T5.1 180 dsg
Also have it on my 204 dsg ,I am not sure where it's from ,possibly the dsg .
Or it could be the air con .

Mine has just developed a noise that appears fan/air con related. Joking aside mine appears to come from the passenger air con vent only. Noticed it more (the first time) when reversing. It sounds like something caught in the fan or like a small worn bearing type click/hum. I was searching the forums to see if I could find similar issues but this was the only one I've seen. Any ideas? Otherwise it's a fruitless trip to the dealer

Mine has just developed a noise that appears fan/air con related. Joking aside mine appears to come from the passenger air con vent only. Noticed it more (the first time) when reversing. It sounds like something caught in the fan or like a small worn bearing type click/hum. I was searching the forums to see if I could find similar issues but this was the only one I've seen. Any ideas? Otherwise it's a fruitless trip to the dealer
Did you rule out the heater/air con turning on cabin air recirculation when reversing. Could try pushing the recirc button to get the same effect?

Did you rule out the heater/air con turning on cabin air recirculation when reversing. Could try pushing the recirc button to get the same effect?
Yes it goes off when I turn air con off. I have tried blowing it out by turning it up full blast but there has been no change in the noise. Which was why I started thinking it may be a fan bearing or something like that

Yes it goes off when I turn air con off.

if it stops with AC OFF/HVAC ON it will be the AC compressor (bearings most likely). (had that on a 90K T5,1)

if it stays with AC ON /HVAC ON it will most likely be HVAC fan related

If it stays with HVAC off then it will be something else (engine/pumps etc)

Back