Under Seat Storage - Kombi camper

LauzFaye

Hi all,

I'm at the planning stage for converting my Transporter Kombi into a camper and am pondering over the idea of storage. Looking at the pricing of including airline style cupboards and underbed storage are pretty pricey but I can see the advantage of having it. I had a California Beach previously which by way of storage three under-bed drawers which did the job. Is the view extra grand for the inbuilt storage worth it do you think? The van will be used by myself and my three children mainly for beach trips and camping trips of 3/4 nights max.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Hard to determine as we are all different. I go to the beach with a towel if I’m organised, others go to the beach with what seems like half a seafront gift shop.
Furniture is worth the money if;
1. You can actually access the doors, some designs are far better than others.
2. You are planning on keeping the van.
3. Most importantly you can fit your normally carried items in the furniture.
Don’t forget that the converters websites photos make van interiors look like Grand Designs houses, the reality is they are very small. Treat it like a submarine and carry what you need and avoid the just in case items.

You can store things under the bed for free by just putting them under the bed. Sliding drawers and panels do look neater, but you can add later as the budget allows.

I agree on the access - our old van has a wardrobe door that annoys me every time I use it. It is also just one space, so everything is piled on and you can’t pull items individually. The new build will have moveable shelves that will take several square bags /boxes, and ideally a magic door that will open even with things in front of it. I’m thinking like a curtain side on a truck, rather than tambour doors.

We use our Kiravans door store for multiple towels, suncream and spare tote bags, so they are quickly to hand.

Our under bed storage consists of on one side 2 plastic good quality storge boxes that I spent ages trying to find being the right height width & depth that slide in & out and on the other side non access door side because of heater outlet again storage boxes of needed but non essentials but you have to lift the seat base to access boxes
how much storage needed as probably most of us have found is how much unnecessary crap you take with you I would have loads more room if I didn't take a TV and associated needed in my eyes accessories
also with our van only 2 berth and no bed board I made folding shelving to go at the rear when the pop tops up this takes our clothes bags when on site
with these small vans I don't think there's going to be the perfect solution as everyone has different needs.

Back