Storage/Utility Tent

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I was wondering if anyone on here uses a utility / storage tent and, if so, what sort. I’m thinking about a small(ish) tent for storing (and keeping dry) the essential stuff that’s transported in the van but just gets in the way when it’s not being used (but I definitely don’t want one of those 6ft tall portable toilet / shower things). I’ve looked at the sort of pop up tent that seems to be available almost everywhere for £20 but suspect that one of those would fall over if you sneezed too close to it and anyway, all the ones that I’ve seen only seem to have a HH rating of 2000mm. I’ve already got a very good Vango 1 man tent (HH 5000mm) which I could press into service but it’s sloping design does not really lend itself to storing much stuff. Any suggestions / advice would be much appreciated.

I was looking for exactly this sort of thing last night on eBay. Thinking about our next few trips without kids and therefor awning it would be good to have a little bit of dry storage out of the van. Check out what eBay emailed me today!
B156334B-C6F2-40C4-9C0D-87370AEC9DF6.jpeg2000+ quid!!! Must be the best storage tent ever:eek:

I decided that the kids new 2 man tent is the best option for storage as it wouldn’t be needed at the same so it didn’t make sense to buy something else.

I’d be interested to know what you decide on though

I was wondering if anyone on here uses a utility / storage tent and, if so, what sort. I’m thinking about a small(ish) tent for storing (and keeping dry) the essential stuff that’s transported in the van but just gets in the way when it’s not being used (but I definitely don’t want one of those 6ft tall portable toilet / shower things). I’ve looked at the sort of pop up tent that seems to be available almost everywhere for £20 but suspect that one of those would fall over if you sneezed too close to it and anyway, all the ones that I’ve seen only seem to have a HH rating of 2000mm. I’ve already got a very good Vango 1 man tent (HH 5000mm) which I could press into service but it’s sloping design does not really lend itself to storing much stuff. Any suggestions / advice would be much appreciated.
Hi @Ayjay ....We did buy a Kampa privy tent ...what a f***ing pain that is to put up ( just brought bigger tent with a privacy screen) but in answer to your question we have used a cheap pop up tent from decathlon as storage...very quick to erect and fold away ..but also not expensive to replace if it gets damaged...most of our gear is transported in really useful boxes, so stays dry In storage ;)

Hi @Ayjay ....We did buy a Kampa privy tent ...what a f***ing pain that is to put up ( just brought bigger tent with a privacy screen) but in answer to your question we have used a cheap pop up tent from decathlon as storage...very quick to erect and fold away ..but also not expensive to replace if it gets damaged...most of our gear is transported in really useful boxes, so stays dry In storage ;)
We have a Khyam Privvy Bivvy as a loo/wash or storage tent but rarely use it as we use part of the tunnel section in the Palm awning for that if necessary. Also we have an old canvas, metal framed loo tent which is usable and quite sturdy and lower than the current toilet tents. When we use the canopy awning we sometimes put the toilet tent up but unless it is a quiet discrete spot it doesn't look great really I have to say! The Really Useful boxes are brilliant though for storage and extra seating etc !

we use one of these . . .

mainly for porta potty . . .

but

removable / open roof too, so it can also be used as a shower tent.

1598367198990.png

if thats not your thing what about a Vango Hex airhub?

Vango AirHub Hex
TENAIRHUBH09Z05

The Vango AirHub Hex inflatable AirBeam® event shelter is great for communal camping, campervanning and garden parties. Each of the six sides includes a window with mesh fly screen, and 3 sides have large doors which can be opened fully. Quick to pitch and highly versatile, the AirHub takes away the hassle of putting up a gazebo, and offers a highly versatile shelter; dining room, storage facility, social hub or group meeting point, the choice is yours!

1598367347756.png

Thanks for that Dellmasive but, as I said, I really don't want one of those tall pop up things. That said, I've got to say though that the ability to take the roof off when it's being used as a toilet tent probably has a lot of advantages when it comes to getting a bit of extra much needed ventilation. Nevertheless, they still scream out 'Turd Tardis' to me every time I see one!

As to the Vango Hub, perhaps I should have said that my requirement for a storage tent would be on the odd occasion when we're stopping off somewhere for a single night and don't want the fuss of going for the full awning or, sometimes if we want an early off, we pack up the awning the night before and are then left with nowhere to put it and the other gear for just one night. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think the little Vango that I've already got will do at a pinch. The footprint's a bit bigger that I might have liked but at least least I can be reasonably confident that it'll still be there after a storm and the stuff inside will still be dry!
Unknown.jpg
I would still welcome any other recommendations though. Cheers to all who have replied thus far.

Thanks for that Dellmasive but, as I said, I really don't want one of those tall pop up things. That said, I've got to say though that the ability to take the roof off when it's being used as a toilet tent probably has a lot of advantages when it comes to getting a bit of extra much needed ventilation. Nevertheless, they still scream out 'Turd Tardis' to me every time I see one!

As to the Vango Hub, perhaps I should have said that my requirement for a storage tent would be on the odd occasion when we're stopping off somewhere for a single night and don't want the fuss of going for the full awning or, sometimes if we want an early off, we pack up the awning the night before and are then left with nowhere to put it and the other gear for just one night. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think the little Vango that I've already got will do at a pinch. The footprint's a bit bigger that I might have liked but at least least I can be reasonably confident that it'll still be there after a storm and the stuff inside will still be dry!
I would still welcome any other recommendations though. Cheers to all who have replied thus far.
We have been known to just pack stuff up in dry bags, like Ortileb, and put under the van overnight (remembering to check before driving off), or into the Really Useful storage boxes left just outside the van. An old groundsheet underneath , a small tarp on top and some pegging is another option.
We have to do something like this if we are using a sun canopy type awning rather than a fully enclosed awning tent.

We are looking into getting a small pop up tent for similar storage idea. Had thought about the taller toilet/shower tents but the general view in the reviews is that they are no use in any wind.
Can anyone give a genuine view on their practicality in normal UK weather conditions
Thanks

Love our Quecha Base Seconds - quick to put up and take down (once you learn how!) and we have used in some horrendous conditions. Plenty of guy lines to make it stable in bad weather. It does occasionally get a pool of water on the top in very wet weather but overall its been great. One of our best buys for the van for sure.

Only thing is - not sure if its available anymore. You may be able to track down a second hand one though.

Quecha.jpg

From what I've seen at camp sites, in stores and also on-line, I came to the conclusion a while ago that if you're going for a pop up type tent, those little Quechua ones that Sib talks about were probably the only way to go if you wanted your stuff to still be relatively safe and dry in bad weather. My personal opinion is that a pop up would never be as good as a 'normal' poled tent but that the Quechuas might get a lot closer than the sort of generic crappy things that you see advertised by Go Outdoors / Millets etc. One of the reasons why I decided to stick with the little Vango Banshee that I pictured in my post above was that I knew how well it performed having used it to sleep in through some pretty horrendous weather. Also, having owned it for a few years now, I can put it up and take it down pretty quickly which is a bonus (but concede that a pop up might be quicker!).

We use one of these Berghaus Air Shelters.....

2020-07-20 16.43.21.jpg

takes less than 5mins to blow up and fix to the ground, we put all the stuff from the van into it and use it to sit under should the weather become miserable :)

Best thing I bought to complete the North Coast 500 last year....may do it again this year.

Just came across this thread as I'm looking for a small cheap utility tent at the minute for when we go away without air awning.
Something like the Quecha Base Seconds shown above but possibly a bit more compact.
Ideally want it pop up as if too much faff to put up/away I won't bother.
Only need it to put the stuff in out the van that gets in the way, ie. child seat+base, dogs stuff, kids toys maybe some chairs etc etc.

Anyone got any new recommendations??

Just came across this thread as I'm looking for a small cheap utility tent at the minute for when we go away without air awning.
Something like the Quecha Base Seconds shown above but possibly a bit more compact.
Ideally want it pop up as if too much faff to put up/away I won't bother.
Only need it to put the stuff in out the van that gets in the way, ie. child seat+base, dogs stuff, kids toys maybe some chairs etc etc.

Anyone got any new recommendations??
Got a zempire pocket rocket, easy to erect and take down and pretty roomy and sturdy.....enough space for the shitter and stuff from the van.

Screenshot_20210410-133826_eBay.jpg

Cheers.

Something like that but lower ideally. I don't need the height to stand just to store stuff so needs to be sturdy and waterproof...
Quest now offer a Screen House Mini which is very quick and easy to pitch but it doesn't have a front door, just 3 sides, roof and built in groundsheet. It's possible to sit in it but not stand up properly. Probably ok for easy storage but not sure how strong winds would effect it being open sided. Alternatively a toilet tent, lots of choices, or a bike tent which tends to be low, wide enough for a bike but not very deep. These normally seem to be pitched at the back or side of camper vans, motorhomes and caravans.

bike tent.jpgquest-screen-house-mini-shelter.jpg

Thanks for the replies.
Looking at the options I'm thinking it may just be 1 or 2 man tent that would suit best, I dont want anything tall or open sided ideally.

I started this thread and eventually concluded that I would be better off just using a tent that I already owned BUT we were in a Decathlon store a while ago and one of these pop up tents caught my eye (and which somebody else here on T6F had also recommended): 2 seconds EASY 2 Tent - 2 people.

So far we have only put it up in the garden but it's really easy to put up and take down again once you get the knack (see video in the link - it really is that simple!). It's supposedly waterproof to 2000hh which should be enough and hopefully it will do the job. As a keen camper with for a lot of years experience, I'm very fussy about my tents and don't think I would want to sleep in it in a storm but as a storage / utility tent it should be OK, particularly as most of the stuff kept in it will be in plastic boxes anyway. Each to their own, but i'm also glad it doesn't look like a fabric turd tardis.

Back