Stolen van

Davidh

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just a little heads up guys. My van was stolen last night while we were away on holiday. Found out about 12hrs after it happened. Luckily I had a metatrack s5 fitted and the police managed to recover it within 30mins of my initial frantic calls. So just wanted to say really trackers are worth their weight in gold and if you think it will never happen to you like I did then sadly it still can. You don't realise how much work an effort you put into your van until the thought of never getting it back goes through your head. So if anyone's asking what you want for your Xmas, please say a tracker. Oh and if its not a ghost immobiliser you get fitted then I suggest you hide your keys better than I did when I went on hol.

Glad you got it back mate but still a horrible experience. I have a tracker fitted to mine, for the cost of them you might as well

Glad you got it back, do you know how they stole it?
I’m guessing you weren’t in the UK as from my experience the Police aren’t prioritising stolen vehicles over the many emergency calls.

They broke into my the house when we were away on hol and got the keys. I usually hide them when not in use but clearly not well enough.
I'm not currently in the UK no as im on holiday, but I stay in Scotland and that's where the van was. It was probably prioritised as it has a live location via the tracker so easy to find. My car was also stolen but doesn't have a tracker so doubt it'll be high up their priority list

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Good news on getting it recovered. Did you get a notification from the tracking company monitors?

No ghost immobiliser then?.

If you have the tracker.... I'd ask for a Ghost for Xmas - to complete the set.

Glad you got it back and a thumbs up for Trackers.

Just a little heads up guys. My van was stolen last night while we were away on holiday. Found out about 12hrs after it happened. Luckily I had a metatrack s5 fitted and the police managed to recover it within 30mins of my initial frantic calls. So just wanted to say really trackers are worth their weight in gold and if you think it will never happen to you like I did then sadly it still can. You don't realise how much work an effort you put into your van until the thought of never getting it back goes through your head. So if anyone's asking what you want for your Xmas, please say a tracker. Oh and if its not a ghost immobiliser you get fitted then I suggest you hide your keys better than I did when I went on hol.
Have you not got deadlock? If not get the S5 upgraded to the S5 Deadlock you can remote immobilise it. Much better than ghost. We can even get the OEM alarm to notify the Metatrak S5 so you know when it's going off.

Ghost is great but S5 Deadlock is much better you have far greater control over the vehicle.

Glad you got it back

Nah not ghost. Just metatrack and no notification as they used the key. Only get the notification if its started without the key. Think that's a different upgrade to get that which I will also invest in. On another note does anyone know if the spare key that isn't on a fob will start the van or is it just a spare key for entry. They have taken both keys other than the third one that isn't electrical. So I have no idea how I'll be able to recover the van from the recovery centre which to top it off apparently charge per day for storage and aren't open at the weekend

Nah not ghost. Just metatrack and no notification as they used the key. Only get the notification if its started without the key. Think that's a different upgrade to get that which I will also invest in. On another note does anyone know if the spare key that isn't on a fob will start the van or is it just a spare key for entry. They have taken both keys other than the third one that isn't electrical. So I have no idea how I'll be able to recover the van from the recovery centre which to top it off apparently charge per day for storage and aren't open at the weekend
That's your insurance companies problem....you pay for the policy, let them sort it.

If you haven't got dead lock the spare key will start the van but the tracker will notify the monitoring centre that an unauthorized start has been made

Glad your van has been recovered, had a similar experience many years ago, no tracker fitted but police found my car a few hours later, parked a mile away, with the car keys thrown under car, they put car under surveillance and actually arrested someone later in the morning crawling under car to retrieve the keys, (south London) so sometimes they do make the effort.
Anyway, what is the cost to have a Ghost fitted to a 2021 van, are they still hack proof?

Nah I guess I don't have the deadlock so will look to get that upgraded once things have settled down. Hoping your right regarding the spare non electric key still being able to start it so I can get it home

As far as I'm aware forensics have checked over the van which has then been uplifted by a company to take into storage

That's your insurance companies problem....you pay for the policy, let them sort it.

I'm with Aplan so hoping they are as good as the reviews they've been given on here. Still waiting on them calling back right enough

My thoughts are by the time the insurance excesses kick in and the next few years policy renewal increases is it worth reporting?

Thing is they have your keys, know where you live and now know it has a tracker.

I’d be looking to get the locks changed which may be covered by your insurance.

Have you not got deadlock? If not get the S5 upgraded to the S5 Deadlock you can remote immobilise it. Much better than ghost. We can even get the OEM alarm to notify the Metatrak S5 so you know when it's going off.

Ghost is great but S5 Deadlock is much better you have far greater control over the vehicle.

Glad you got it back
@Dav-Tec...would the S5 or any other aftermarket system sense if the vehicle is being tampered with?i.e. spare wheel removal or cat removal?

You can't really get around telling the Insurance when the police are involved as its been a break in and a theft. And correction to my previous post i had the s7 metatrak not the s5 but i will be lookjng to upgrade once i get the van back so i can use deadlock. I'll do a post regarding the whole insurance hassle once things are worked out but so far its been a month since the incident happened and I still haven't had a penny off the insurance or even had the vehicle inspected at a garage or by an engineer to check any damage. At this stage it won't make good reading for anyone with Aplan.

Back