MrTesco

T6 Pro
Need to be replacing a pair of tyres
Currently running what came fitted:

Goodyear : 215-65R-16C 104-106 T
Got 14500 miles out of current set now at 3mm.

Anyone got any recommendations or ones to avoid?

Also mine is a 9 setter shuttle but logbook shows T32 but do I need tyres with a high load rating or can I go lower legally?

103 is minimum load rating for T32. Your insurance company may have an issue if you were unfortunate enough to have it examined after an accident.

Just a suggestion here. Have you thought about replacing all four wheels and tyres with 17 inch Devonports. Quite often folk advertise them on here with delivery mileage only on them. Some folk want bigger wheels, so there often the first thing to come off a new van. I found 4 brand new Devonports with Conti tyres for £500 on Gumtree for my Shuttle. Seller took my offer of £450 for them. Sell your steels to recoup some of the money or keep them for winter tyres. As the Devonports are a factory option, your insurance may not consider them as a modification either. Best to check though.

Last edited:
Hello there!

New user here from sunny Cape Town.

In South Africa, the T6 comes with a few wheel options. The 16" steel wheels come with 205/65R16 tyres while the 16" Clayton alloy wheels come with 215/65R16 tyres.

Would anyone know why?

The 16" steel wheels and the 16" alloy wheels have the exact same dimensions: 6.5Jx16 ET51, 5X120 PCD.

Second question: If I replace the 205's on my steels with 215's, how much more comfortable would the ride be?

Thanks in advance!

I would guess it's purely a financial decision; 205's are cheaper, and are adequate for their intended use.
Not sure you would notice much differance with a 215, may be a little;
but some years ago I switched to 235/60/16, and found them significantly better in all areas.

I would guess it's purely a financial decision; 205's are cheaper, and are adequate for their intended use.
Not sure you would notice much differance with a 215, may be a little;
but some years ago I switched to 235/60/16, and found them significantly better in all areas.

I think you're right.

According to the door sticker, the 205's should be inflated considerably higher than the 215's. 46psi vs 57psi, front, unladen. That's what made me think they could be more comfy.

The 215 tyres give a much better ride. I swapped out our 205 to 215 as the ride was so harsh. Even the slightest pothole crunched.
I put on Michelin crossclimates with a 103 load rating.

The 215 tyres give a much better ride. I swapped out our 205 to 215 as the ride was so harsh. Even the slightest pothole crunched.
I put on Michelin crossclimates with a 103 load rating.

Thanks for that. Have ordered some Michelin Agilis+ in the 215. Down here we only have summer tyres...

Hi,

Got standard 16'' alloys, with the hankook's on and all 4 need replaced after 13000 miles (approx) Looking for recommendations for a replacement that will maybe last a little longer?

I'm rubbish at this stuff and the van has 1 illegal tyre so the OH doesn't want to drive it!

Not sure if tyres can help but we do find the ride a little hard on our potholes surfaces, can a different tyre help with this?

Any help very much appreciated!

Wow. 13k out of the tyres seems short.

I’ve had 16” continentals on mine for 8k and they’ve still got over 7mm on!

if you are sticking with 16" wheels, I would look ago 235/60/16 tyres
235 60r16 Tyres | Order tyres online today – Click & Fit at Blackcircles.com
The Michelin Cross climate SUV is a great tyre and you will probably get 30k miles from a set, and great performance all year round.
You can even get them in Cross climate Agilis, which are even tougher.
235/60/16 can be run at a lower pressure which really helps ride maybe 43- 45psi, subject to loadings/speed etc.

Or consider getting some 17" Devonports nearly new, and run 235/55/17 or 235/60/17 with a similar pressure

I ended up getting continentals at the original size and this also kept the T rating. I wasn't sure if it was ok to move away from this? I would have probably tried the different size as we are keen to improve the ride. I've been thinking about Devonports for a while now so might go down that route if it'll help?

I think the issue with the 16” Claytons is that they run at quite a high pressure so can be a little harsh.

How do the Conti’s compare with the Hankooks? (I’ve got a spare set of Hankooks but haven’t fitted them yet).

We had factory fit Continental Conticontacts on our Claytons. They lasted about 20,ooo miles. Now got the Michelin Agilis CrossClimates (which is a van tyre: Michelin Agilis Crossclimate) and although they are a tougher compound, they are much less harsh to ride that the Continentals and also quieter.

I think the issue with the 16” Claytons is that they run at quite a high pressure so can be a little harsh.

How do the Conti’s compare with the Hankooks? (I’ve got a spare set of Hankooks but haven’t fitted them yet).

It's not the alloy wheel, it's the tyre size that usually causes the problem; followed by the tyre's characteristics

What is your current tyre size
width(mm)/aspect ratio/16" ?

Mine are the standard 205/65 width and ratio. I like the way the Conti’s grip and handle the wet, but have a spare set of Hankooks for when these need replacing.

The compound seems softer on the Hankooks.

My A6 came from the factory with 235/35/19 Pirelli P Zero which were nice but wore quickly. I changed them for Conti’s and they were much more suited to the car. Not sure on the van though.....

Thanks. I will investigate in the future as these aren’t the best on grass/mud. I’ve got winter tyres for another car and they’re fantastic on mud too.

Thanks. I will investigate in the future as these aren’t the best on grass/mud. I’ve got winter tyres for another car and they’re fantastic on mud too.
We've got the Agilis Cross Climate 16" on two of our vans (not VW), and they are very good off road, as well as all on road conditions summer and winter

Back